INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Audible Books  (Read 2749 times)

serf

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
Audible Books
« on: December 27, 2003, 10:49:01 am »

Anyone have simple step-by-step instructions on how to use MC10, if possible, to download Audible books (I have not "joined" Audible, yet) to MC10 & then transfer to iPod?  Also, I recall there was some discussion here about MC/iPod not "remembering" where you leave off in a book - is that still the case?

Thanks,

Steve

mindracing

• Galactic Citizen
  • Bike, Mind and Body are part of the same system
Re:Audible Books
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2003, 11:38:41 am »

You will need to use Audible Manager to download the files (or iTUNES but if your using MC10 I wouldn't bother with iTUNES).

Once downloaded they can be imported into MC 10 (Right click the file and choose Media Center/Import).

They will synch to the iPOD just fine and can be played by MC 10.

However - sometimes the files on the ipod will be unplayable and sometimes the bookmark will be lost on the next sync. This doesn't always happen and Steve (iPOD plug-in developer) is aware of it so it'll get fixed soon).

serf

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2003, 06:12:38 pm »

Thanks - I was concerned that Audible Manager would mess up the iPod the way iTunes seems to (and I thought I read it was necessary to use the Download Manager).  It does not appea rot matter which directory the file is downloaded to, it seems.  Thanks,

Steve

markp99

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2003, 04:44:38 pm »

Be sure to select "no devices" in Audible Manager.  This will avoid any hiccups try to use that app to push files to your iPod.  Use MC9 to manage you audio files...  :)

serf

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2003, 09:10:31 am »

Thanks, all, but its not working for me, so far.

MC10 would not import until I downloaded realaudio.  Once I did that, MC10 imported a book.  The book plays in MC10.

I created a playlist in MC10 for "book", but it would not show the book I purchased until I dragged it to the playlist.  (Normal for playlists?  I use smartlists for the mp3 music files, so playlist is new to me.)

The book synched to the iPod and shows up there, but does not play on it.  I found the following in an earlier post - still valid?
===
Quote from: parannoya on November 19, 2003, 09:21:46 PM
I've been using iTunes for a while and this past weekend decided to give MC9 another try.
So I reformatted the iPod, installed latest build, (whatever it was on Sat.), reformatted the iPod, and started from scratch.
I synched my iPod, but afterward found that my Audible files would not play. They appeared on the iPod, but would not play.  
I like MC9, but I switched back to iTunes. I'll check back later when the bugs are worked out.  (I'd stick around to help particpate in the troubleshooting, but since I had to pay $40 just to try MC9.1, I'll pass
----
This has been discussed on the board previously.  In order to play purchased/protected content, you need to first sync one track with iTunes.  This creates a key file on your iPod to allow protected content playback.  After that, no more iTunes.
===

I remember bad things happening when I had iTunes installed, so I'd like o avoid reinstalling that if possible.

Thanks (and let me know if this belongs in the iPod thread).

Steve

tlongacre

• Galactic Citizen
  • gettin' in touch with my inner child, watch out!
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2003, 09:31:56 am »

re: the playlist/smartlist question --

You can make a smartlist for your books. Just make a genre called Book, mark all your Books to that genre and then create a smartlist for that Genre. If you are going to be doing this often, this will be a lot easier than having to drag them to a playlist each time.

(Alternatively to a genre, you could always put them in the same directory and create a smartlist that grabs everything in that directory. You get the idea.)

On the other issue, I can't help ya 'cause I'm having the same problem w/MC9.

SteveG

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2003, 09:57:16 am »

Tlongacre, Serf,and Ashley,

Let me try again to solve this Audible issue again. Do any/all of you have certain files that never play on iPod but other files that do? If so, please tell me the name of a file that does not play and I will get it from Audible to test.

Serf, it sounds like this does not work at all for you. Can you try Formatting your iPod from Windows Explorer, disconnect and reconnect, then Initialize iPod from within MC and try the transfer once again.

Thanks.

Steve

serf

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2003, 10:52:53 am »

tlongacre - thanks.

steveg - will do, but 1 question - don't I have to "restore" using updater 2.1 before initializing with MC10?

Steve

SteveG

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2003, 11:30:29 am »

Serf,

No, you should not have to.

Steve

serf

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2003, 01:00:39 pm »

SteveG:

Done - no change.  Audible file plays on MC10, but not on iPod.

Steve

tlongacre

• Galactic Citizen
  • gettin' in touch with my inner child, watch out!
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2003, 01:06:56 pm »

Tlongacre, Serf,and Ashley,

Let me try again to solve this Audible issue again. Do any/all of you have certain files that never play on iPod but other files that do? If so, please tell me the name of a file that does not play and I will get it from Audible to test.

Steve

Yep -- Brother's Keeper from This American Life by Ira Glass (an NPR show). It plays on the PC just fine and looks like it comes over to the iPod fine, but it has never played on the iPod. I'd get a lot more stuff from Audible if this worked, but I've been obssessed with getting all my CDs ripped so I've not pushed this.

Thanks for asking.

BTW, I'm still using MC9, latest version. I was waiting for MC10 to be calm enough to let me get the basics I need from it before upgrading (ripping at VBR, smartlists, transferring songs downloaded from iTunes, synching with the iPod). I'm happy to take the plunge if someone who knows can tell me those all work well enough.

mindracing

• Galactic Citizen
  • Bike, Mind and Body are part of the same system
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2003, 01:11:04 pm »

Steve,

I guess I wasn't clear.

All of my audible files play in MC 10.

At the moment they all play on the iPOD.

Sometimes after a sync (audible files are already on the iPOD so there should be no changes to them) none of the audible files play.

It is all or nothing. I have not experienced a situation where some play and others don't. They either all play or none play. The files are fine.

I believe that it is the way Audilbe manages the file security that is the issue. Something on the iPOD says this is not a legal copy and so it doesn't play. I'll give you more info next time it happens.

Thanks for looking at this Steve and if you could implement bookmarks for other file types that would be truly fantastic!

SteveG

« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2003, 04:18:01 pm »

I have not forgotten this. I will post more soon.

Steve

serf

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2003, 09:21:37 pm »

Thanks, no rush.

serf

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2004, 11:16:53 am »

King Spart has a thread on mono files - maybe this is the problem here?  My only Audible file is mono.  It plays in MC10, downloads to the iPod, but does not play there.  I am too new to Audible to know whether all of their books are mono.  Just thought I'd see if this is the problem to save you some headscratching if it is.
Pages: [1]   Go Up