INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: OT: Frustrated with this board  (Read 1201 times)

ThatAdamGuy

• World Citizen
  • I'm a llama's iguana!
OT: Frustrated with this board
« on: December 29, 2003, 05:29:00 pm »

I just wanted to respectfully but firmly say that I'm frustrated with this board and am considerably less likely to participate here in the future.

Here's why:
- The seemingly arbitrary closing of threads like this one, which I'm guessing many people found to be informative and enjoyable.
- The lack of enough thoughtful categorizations (including MC9, MC10, Off Topic, and so on)

This forum is maintained by the good graces of JRiver staff, and they technically have no obligation whatsoever to run a board to suit my whims or anyone else's.  Their first focus should, understandably, be on creating a stellar product with excellent documentation.

However, it saddens me that I feel I have to sometimes walk, er, type on eggshells here... avoiding certain topics or ways of phrasing things.  For me, that takes both the usefulness and fun out of an online community.

Thanks for letting me get this off my chest.

Regards,
Adam

P.S. -- I'm particularly annoyed by the stiffling paranoia surrounding the discussion of borderline legal gray areas (e.g., circumvention tools, online services, etc.).  I firmly believe that there is hardly any serious threat to JRiver or its staff from such conversations, given extensive legal precedent.  This is a forum, not a newsletter!

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re:OT: Frustrated with this board
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2003, 05:45:42 pm »

The Talk Of Illegal File Sharing Has Always Been A Restricted Topic Since Napster Lost its Case.

I don't See It changing, And They Are The COE's Rules
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Charlemagne 8

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2003, 06:39:43 pm »

Adam,
But things are getting better. Until recently, you couldn't even say "Napster" as King just did.
The tread was closed because of the more or less favorable discussion of the A****mp3 service. As this is a fairly recent target of the RIAA, discussion of it has become verboten.
Just to add to your internet radio information, there have been college students running internet radio (maybe even intranet radio) sued over non-payment of royalties.
CVIII
That's right.
I'm cool.

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2003, 06:59:02 pm »

Personally, I'd gladly deal with the occasional closing of a thread in order to maintain a respectful place to discuss things of interest to me. All too often, sites are overrun with garbage because people feel the need to act like ill-behaved children.

And considering that JRiver has been trying to make deals within the music industry, it really is in their best interests to insure that questionable topics remain out of their forum.

It was discussed a while back and most people decided that they liked the smaller number of forums. Too many different forums and you start to lose participants. We don't have the numbers of users that other boards do. Even as a moderator, I only skim through two of the forums. If the topic doesn't interest me, I simply don't read it. I don't let it deter me from a purchasing decision. If a support question isn't answered, just post into your thread again and bump it to the top. Somebody will address it sooner or later (generally sooner).

modelmaker

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2003, 07:00:43 pm »

I have no problem with J River not wanting us to discuss illegal sites on their forum, eventhough I may think it's a bit paranoid). Afterall I don't think anyone here believes that discussing illegal sites is in anyway an endorsement of such. There's probably a clause in J River's licensing agreement that speaks to this.

However, talking about the Russian sites is another matter. These sites operate legally under the laws of Russia. As far as I know, there are no pending charges of illigality or lawsuits by the US Justice Department, State Dept, or the RIAA against these sites. Some of us may not like the way they operate, but that doesn't make them illegal (or a grey area either)

We buy products all over the world, and make our purchases according to the laws of the countries these sites originate from, be they in Russia, Bombay or Timbuktoo. Its called World Trade.

How many of you have bought products from China and other places and questioned whether those products were made with underpaid prison, indentured or slave labor?(which is illegal under US Trade Law) Not many, I would guess.
Jay.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans"     John Lennon.

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2003, 07:17:57 pm »

Hi Y'all,

I'm paranoid. It's my job.

There are plenty of other places to discuss file sharing services. If you want to discuss how it works with Media Center, that's ok. If you want to talk about the legality of it, this is not the place.

Adam - you are a valuable contributor here, and I hope you stick around.

j
Pages: [1]   Go Up