INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Any way to create Playlist en masse?  (Read 3226 times)

BadDog

• Junior Woodchuck
  • I'm a llama!
Any way to create Playlist en masse?
« on: December 29, 2003, 03:24:02 pm »

I am using a hardrive based mp3 player called a Neo 35.  The Neo ships with a certain level of firmware that is pretty stable.  
www.ssiamerica.com
See open neo and products etc.

The Open Neo adds some functionality such as dynamic playlist creation and added menu features for ID3 info and so on.  Open Neo supports the ability to select an album or artist and making the whole artist, genre or album play and then selecting another album and within that album selecting tracks to add to the playlist.  At some point they intend to add the ability to add several albums at a time to the playlist without having to add them one track at a time.

Adding one track at a time works but is time consuming but for now that is all that is supported.  I discovered that I can, on the unit itself select an album and create a dynamic playlist of that album.  Repeat this sequence for several albums and them add the individual playlist on top of one another.  This works just fine, create a playlist for Artist1, Artist2, Artist3 and so on.  Play the playlist associated with Artist1 and then right select the Artist2 playlist and it adds it to the current dynamic playlist.  There are several keystrokes on the unit to create a playlist; I would not want to go through the 800 or so albums on my MP3 player.

Is there a way to convert each artist and albums under that artist into a playlist within MC10?  I mean an easy way in bulk.  If I could do this I would drop my 600 or so playlists into a Playlist folder on the MP3 player.  Then I could easily add several of any albums to a dynamic playlist by going to the Playlist Folder.

BadDog

• Junior Woodchuck
  • I'm a llama!
Re:Any way to create Playlist en masse?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2003, 08:06:40 pm »

28 views and no thoughts?  I think Access might be the ticket.  Select all from Artist/Album and save to a playlist.
Export playlist to a text file and then do something with Access.  The Access part is where I get lost.  I am going by the bookstore soon and Get Access For Dummies.  Am I on the right track?

Idealy Access would scan through the playlist (that contains everything) and then somehow export each album to a separate filename that would be in the form of Artist_Album.  A separate utility could then be used to rename these files to *.m3u and placed in the portable Playlist directory.  I think I need a beer.

sraymond

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2003, 08:19:46 pm »

I haven't totally followed what you want to do.  It sounds like you might want to take a look at the thread http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?board=5;action=display;threadid=17931.  

Please describe what you want the final product(s) to look like.  An example would be great.  For the input, I assume it's the MC library.

Scott-

BadDog

• Junior Woodchuck
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2003, 09:24:30 pm »

The final output would be for each artist and each album to have a separate playlist in a .m3u format.  For example;
AC-DC_Back in Black.m3u
AC-DC_Ballbreaker.m3u
Aerosmith_Pump.m3u
Aerosmith_Big Ones.m3u
Alabama_Greatest Hits.m3u

The portable device will allow you to add playlist on top of playlist and then shuffle.  You cannot add album1 on top of album2 to create a playlist containing both.  By haveing  an automated way of creating a playlist for each album from my library I could have the effect of adding one album on top of another to create dynamic playlist.

sraymond

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2003, 10:02:01 pm »

The final output would be for each artist and each album to have a separate playlist in a .m3u format.  For example;
AC-DC_Back in Black.m3u
AC-DC_Ballbreaker.m3u
Aerosmith_Pump.m3u
Aerosmith_Big Ones.m3u
Alabama_Greatest Hits.m3u

The portable device will allow you to add playlist on top of playlist and then shuffle.  You cannot add album1 on top of album2 to create a playlist containing both.  By haveing  an automated way of creating a playlist for each album from my library I could have the effect of adding one album on top of another to create dynamic playlist.

OK...  the problem is creating the separate playlists (one per album).  If Nila does that for Matsiff, you're good to go.  Otherwise, I can do it with XSLT extensions, but you'll need to install additional software (an XSLT processor that supports the extension I need) - or hope that Scott_r can do extensions.

Scott-

milehigh

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2003, 07:02:04 am »

here is a link to a program that will make playlists for each album and a description from the help - real simple to use and works great!

Playboyster is a tool for creating playlists (those *.m3u files). Designed
especially for those who burn their own mp3-cds and like to have playlists
included on the disc. Playboyster recursively scans directories and creates
playlists (playlist filenames are taken from the directory names).
Handles Winamp 1.x/2.x-style playlists. If you use 2.x style playlists and
utilize the ID3-tags, a full CD-R of mp3s loads into Winamp in a flash!

You can create playlists with most mp3-players, but when you want to create
separate lists for each album etc. it's no fun. Solution: use Playboyster.

http://welcome.to/toytools

BadDog

• Junior Woodchuck
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2003, 09:16:22 am »

:) ;) ;D
Thank You!
Thank You!

This is exactly what I wanted and more!
If you ever get to Kentucky I owe you a beer and a boat ride.  I will copy a link to this thread on several other sites and forums I have requested this info from.

Thanks Again!
 8)

mooseman

• Junior Woodchuck
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2003, 09:48:51 am »

http://popemaster.arsware.org/playlist.php

Here's another, this one places the playlist in the directory where the files are, if that's what you prefer.

sraymond

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2003, 11:30:19 am »

These are good solutions if you're happy with the naming convention coming from the directory structure.  If you want to customize the naming to something other than the directory strucutre, you're SOL.

Nice little apps, though.   Thanks.

Scott-
Pages: [1]   Go Up