INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Acquire Photos Niggle  (Read 2446 times)

sraymond

Acquire Photos Niggle
« on: December 31, 2003, 06:21:51 pm »

Sorry to sound like a broken record, but I haven't played this one in ages (MC tells me that Last Played was 38.4 days ago):  Please give us a better progress bar for importing photos.  Currently (with WIA drivers) I get a dialog box that pops up for each photo to be transferred.  There is a progress bar, but it progresses at the speed of light!  The dialog box then closes and a new one opens.  This continues for as many pictures as I have to download.  I have no idea how long it will really take.

Could we please have one dialog box that shows the status (i.e. "1 of 38", "2 of 38", etc.) and a progress bar?

Scott-

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Farm Animal Stupid
Re:Acquire Photos Niggle
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2003, 10:21:00 pm »

I couldn't agree more.

LisaRCT

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2004, 11:22:13 am »

What is the difference between "Acquire Image" and simply copying them to a disk folder from my camera and then importing them?
Is it that your camera does not show up as a removable drive, or is there more to it?
I only ask as I may be missing something with my method.

sraymond

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2004, 05:29:25 pm »

What is the difference between "Acquire Image" and simply copying them to a disk folder from my camera and then importing them?
Is it that your camera does not show up as a removable drive, or is there more to it?
I only ask as I may be missing something with my method.

It's been so long that I've forgotten the details, but it came down to the fact that Kodak uses a certain type of driver that doesn't allow the camera to show up as a removable device.  The alternative is to use WIA drivers for the camera, which presents the camera as a "Scanners and Camera" (or something like that).

JRiver added WIA support, which is good because it's the *only* way I can access my camera from within MC.  The only downside is that JRiver hasn't gotten around to implementing WIA events - meaning that when the camera is first connected, I can't tell WindowsXP to automatically launch MC and start acquiring.  Maybe someday...  But cameras that present as a removable drive don't have this problem.

You can certainly do things the manual way (i.e. copy and import), but the "Acquire Image" functionality is much better.  It lets you optionally delete the photos from the camera, puts them in the directory of your choosing, and imports the photos alll in one-fell-swoop.

Scott-

Griff

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2004, 11:47:44 am »

Well, I have to agree with Scott 100%.

But that doesnt solve my problem.

Sure I have a lot of images that come from my camera.

But I also have a lot of pic. that come from other sources.

I would like to see an image import, that has the "Fill prop. from filename/ Dir" come up first and then import.

But Im not going to hold my breath.

Lisa
Whats your setup like?

Griff

sraymond

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2004, 11:54:01 am »

I would like to see an image import, that has the "Fill prop. from filename/ Dir" come up first and then import.

So you have to do this after the images are imported, huh?

Scott-

Griff

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2004, 02:01:44 pm »

Hi Scott

Yep, unless Im missing something.

Have any ideas?

Its a real pain.

A while back I read you were playing around with Wireless.

How did it work out?

Griff

sraymond

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2004, 02:12:00 pm »

Hi Scott

Yep, unless Im missing something.

Have any ideas?

Its a real pain.

A while back I read you were playing around with Wireless.

How did it work out?

Griff

Well, I hate to mention the "myHTPC" word, but I remember seeing some really cool work done an a plugin that filled tags by parsing directories/files.  Let me see if I can find the thread and maybe someone here is willing to write a similar plugin.  It sure would be better than the standard "Import", that's for sure.

I gave up on wireless.  Throughput was a problem for video and MC didn't seem to offer any "buffering" protection.  So I bit the bulllet and crawled through the attic.  It sure would have been eaiser if it didn't have the blown-in insulation just sitting on top of the rafters.  I got a pretty bad allergic reaction anywhere the insulation touched my skin.

Scott-

sraymond

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2004, 02:16:03 pm »

Check out this thread:  http://myhtpc.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3608&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

If someone could write plugin and does this and creates an MPL of the results, you can merely import just the MPL and all your work is done.

I'm not sure how hard it would be to write the plugin, but maybe if someone asked Pablo "pretty please", he'd share the source code.  But then again, maybe not.   :(

Scott-

Griff

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2004, 03:05:37 pm »

Thanks for the info. Scott.

Looks good.

Dont go there much.

Just to ck for H2.

So I bit the bulllet and crawled through the attic.

Man, I know what thats like.

If I remember right you had a rm between your main pc and the Tv.

Still cloning to the TV?

You know, a long time ago when we were talking about this, I did a lot of thinking.
(Ya thats a first  ;D )

Mainly about backup.

Too many DVDs and nothing ever current.

So I bit the bullet and built a XPC for the living rm.(Size of a toaster)

Also picked up ViceVersa.

Now everything is coooooool.

Two identical databases and current.

Take care
Griff

LisaRCT

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2004, 08:22:12 pm »

Well I guess I am fortunate then.  My Nikon uses CompactFlash cards which show up as a removable drive both in Windows and in MC.
I did try the 'Acquire Images' and it does work also, so I have options  :D

sraymond

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2004, 11:27:44 pm »

Well I guess I am fortunate then.  My Nikon uses CompactFlash cards which show up as a removable drive both in Windows and in MC.
I did try the 'Acquire Images' and it does work also, so I have options  :D

I'm sure if I had a card reader (SD, not CF), I'd be OK.  But part of the reason I bought a Kodak was becasue of their docking station.  It makes it easy for her to just press a button!

Scott-

LisaRCT

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2004, 11:43:16 pm »

I hear that!
I have a tendency to get all caught up in the tecnical comparisons and capabilities that I wind up needlessly over-complicate my life with complexities beyond my needs.  :-\
Like maybe by the next millenium I will have learved how to use all the functions on my digital camera.   ?
My 35mm seems pretty simple and has comparable abilities, somehow I thought this would be pretty much the same.

Some of these docking station and 'plug-n-print' docks look pretty nice.

Well at least I won't outgrow this camera any time soon   :D

LisaRCT

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2004, 07:07:29 pm »

Well I will find out now . . . .
I just did a firmware update to my camera, and while I can retain the use of the 'mass storage device' format making it readable as a removable drive in Windows, I now have the option to have it read as any other digital camera.
I will have to use 'Aquire Image' when I use that format, but I will gain the advantage of the standard image tags.  Hopefully MC will pick them all up.  Gonna give it a shot next 'roll' I shoot.
Pages: [1]   Go Up