INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bug: Low disk space message  (Read 2663 times)

Dave T

• World Citizen
Bug: Low disk space message
« on: January 05, 2004, 10:35:07 am »

When I try to rip a CD, I'm getting a message "You are running low on disk space...".  I'm not - I have over 20 gig free.  If I hit OK, the rip goes ahead fine.  This problem is non-trivial to me - it means that I can't "auto rip", which I need because I don't have a display connected to my computer.

This is with version 9.1.316.

- Dave

RhinoBanga

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Developer
Re:Bug: Low disk space message
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2004, 11:35:45 am »

This solution presumes you are connected via a LAN.

If you are running Windows XP on the slave then use Remote Desktop to control the PC.

If not then you can use one of the many free VNC derivatives to do the same task (http://www.realvnc.com/).

Dave T

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2004, 11:48:51 am »

Yes, I am connected by a LAN, and I am actually already using one of your suggested solutions (VNC).   But, I still don't want to have to go to another computer to start a remote control session and click OK, just to get rid of a low disk space message, when I'm not even low on disk space.  

Surely this is a bug (?).  Does anyone else get this message?    I guess it's somehow misreading how much disk space I actually have?

- Dave

RhinoBanga

• Developer
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2004, 12:13:43 pm »

Fair enough;  but I was just trying to help with the:

I don't have a display connected to my computer.

Which turns out not to be true after all.

outerbay

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2004, 12:31:45 pm »

If MC 9.1 has a bug which thinks you do not have disk space, then maybe you can move your display to the remote computer until they fix the bug in version 9.1.316.  Maybe you can preclick the override or use a batch file??

Dave T

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2004, 12:47:07 pm »

No - I really can't put a display on the remote computer.  It's in a rack.  To be honest - I actually do have a display connected, but it's a projector, and I don't want to have to fire up the projector and lower the motorized screen every time I want to do some ripping.  Remoting via VNC is much easier, but I don't want to have to do that either.

Anyway, I appreciate the suggestions from fellow users, I really do - but I'm really looking for tech support from the MC developers themselves.  Posting to this forum is the only way I know of to get support.  I'm not looking for workarounds, I just want acknowledgement that they can reproduce the bug, and if not, perhaps some questions that will help narrow down what is different about my setup.

Thanks.

- Dave

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2004, 01:13:48 pm »

Check the options for ripping and see where you have your temp files going.  It may be a different drive than your music library.

outerbay

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2004, 01:20:04 pm »

Hey Dave T> "... I just want acknowledgement that they can reproduce the bug .."

Well that makes sense.
They should have a simple page here with columns:

Version
Bug short name
Bug description
First Reported Date/User
Confirmed Date/User
Reproducible acknowledgement date
Status/date

Maybe this could be even be sortable by clicking on column head?
But that might be too hard.

I guess it is a tradeoff between making new releases or organizing bugs.

There is always the standard answers, which sometimes work:

1. Search forum
2. Search Google
3. Reinstall latest drivers
4. Reinstall OS
5. New computer.

Often these work.  Have you tried them?

outerbay

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2004, 01:23:43 pm »

ooops this was X-posted after mine "... Check the options for ripping and see where you have your temp files going."

sounds like your alleged bug cannot be reproduced. Forget my suggestions. good luck.

jleerigby

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2004, 02:47:21 pm »

This reg hack will stop you from getting anymore low disk space messages:

navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer\
and (if not already there) add DWORD (without quotes) "NoLowDiskSpaceChecks" and change the value to 1. Then restart.

Hope this helps.

Dave T

• World Citizen
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2004, 02:58:53 pm »

JLee:

Thanks!  But, are you sure about that?  The warning is coming from MC, not Windows itself.  That reg setting is for Windows itself.  And, I'm not close at all to running out of disk space - I have 20 gig free!  But, I'll try it - it couldn't hurt.

To answer Jim H's question - no, I don't have my temp files on another drive.  There's only one hard drive (and partition) on the machine.

- Dave

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2004, 03:27:03 pm »

What exactly does the message say?  We'll see if it's coming from MC.

Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

jleerigby

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2004, 03:27:35 pm »

No not sure but, like you say, it's worth a try.  I did not realise that the message was actually coming from within MC.  The post just said that you 'get a message' and I've only ever seen this from windows so assumed it was that.  

Hope it works anyway.

Dubster

• Recent member
  • Computer Software Designer
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2004, 07:58:25 pm »

What exactly does the message say?  We'll see if it's coming from MC.

I get this too.  First thing I checked was the options to see if the temps were pointed to C:\ which on this system is a small partition for Windows files.  Nope, that's not it, but since the main partition (E:\) has some 40 gig available then it's possible that some code is looking at C:\ instead.

I just took this for yet another really annoying MC 9.1 bug.

Tom

Media Center Registered 9.1.316 -- e:\Program Files\J River\Media Center\

Microsoft Windows Me
AMD Athlon 1474 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 458 MB, Free - 197 MB
Resource Info: System - 53 %, GDI - 77 %, User - 53 %

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2800.1106 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.81 / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2800.1276 / Shell32.dll: 5.50.4134.100 / wnaspi32.dll: 4.60 (1021) , ASPI for Win32 (95/NT) DLL, Copyright © 1989-1999 Adaptec, Inc. / Aspi32.sys: N/A

Ripping /   Drive G:   Copy mode:ModeSecure   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
  Drive H:   Copy mode:ModeSecure   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
  Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: Yes /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
  Eject after ripping: No /  Play sound after ripping: Yes  Soundfile:   C:\WINDOWS\MEDIA\Utopia Asterisk.wav

Burning /  Drive G: LITE-ON  LTR-40125S         Addr: 0:0:0  Speed:40  MaxSpeed:40  BurnProof:Yes
  Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: Yes
  Use playback settings: No /  Normalization: None
Pages: [1]   Go Up