INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: AW Feature Request / Crazy Thought  (Read 1524 times)

Quisp

• Galactic Citizen
  • Dol Sot Bi Bim Bap
AW Feature Request / Crazy Thought
« on: January 06, 2004, 08:17:21 pm »

I like to use panes and view schemes to narrow down my selection of music. Seems like that is what they are there for. By the time I get to a filtered group of records, I like to view them by album cover. Then...naturally i'd like to select only one or two songs from the album.

Now here is the problem, in order to play, say track 3 and 47, I've got to narrow my selection to a single album and then switch views to detail view.

No biggie, except to switch views I've got to put a custom button in my button bar, click on the List Style Menu, click on List Style, Then select the view I want (Hopefully correctly the first time) Since it appears that list views will never again become the easy one click solution they used to be, it occured to me...

Why not incorporate in the action window a list of files in a selected album? This would allow us to view the main list as Thumbnails(album), click on an album, and then get a list of tracks that could be acted upon directly in the Action Window. Maybe an icon called Track List could be added to the Action Window Main Menu.

This would be a super cool feature with little effect on current interface (as far as my ignorant eyes can see :)).

pocket

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
Re:AW Feature Request / Crazy Thought
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2004, 08:47:51 pm »

Here here!
But I bet the folks at J River could implement it even sweeter with some type of view that still shows the album cover, too!

Quisp

• Galactic Citizen
  • Dol Sot Bi Bim Bap
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2004, 09:00:34 pm »

Yes! That was what I was going for. Ideally, there would be a three tiered main window, top would be for panes/playing now, middle would be album thumbnails and below that the tracks in list format.

But I can see how this would eat up screen real estate for those with low resolution monitors. Then agian, there is no reason why the third window couldn't be collapsed and expanded as needed.

However, I can deal with thumbnail view on the right, list view in action window on the left, if it mean't getting the feature. You'd loose the female dog'in view scheme, but considering the use of the view, I don't know how useful it would be, I mean by the time the album is selected, I know the artist, album, etc...then again compilations would pose a problem and what if I wanted to Rate tracks? Nevermind... :-\

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2004, 11:39:18 pm »

I think Matt said they were planning on putting in some sort of tiled view where you could see the album art and the track list at the same time. Hopefully it'll become a reality.

In the meantime, you can do what I do. I've created a calculated field of [Track #] - [Name], and then I just add a pane for that field. So I can select individual tracks while still seeing the album art, and I don't have to switch to list view to do it.

nila

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2004, 02:52:04 am »

I think Matt said they were planning on putting in some sort of tiled view where you could see the album art and the track list at the same time. Hopefully it'll become a reality.

In the meantime, you can do what I do. I've created a calculated field of [Track #] - [Name], and then I just add a pane for that field. So I can select individual tracks while still seeing the album art, and I don't have to switch to list view to do it.

Problem is that this means an extra pane - if you have any type of grouping in your panes to speed up the searching you just dont have space.

If we could resize the panes this wouldn't be a problem but right now those extra wide panes just saying: A-C, D-F, G-I, etc just kill this :(

Quisp

• Galactic Citizen
  • Dol Sot Bi Bim Bap
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2004, 07:46:32 am »

Thanks, Doof! That was a nice workaround which I've immediately incorporated.

However, in addition to Nila's point, using the calculated view, I can't display 20 album covers and click through them to get tracks, I've got to select the album in the pane which lets me see the single album, but not the list. Also, as has been pointed out before, you don't get any details, since you aren't in detail view. I can edit in the Action Window, but it isn't as easy as editing in place in detail view...

Hopefully the tiled view will come soon, it has certainly been requested many times over the years and it seems like the only completely useful way to go.

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2004, 08:16:23 am »

Thanks, Doof! That was a nice workaround which I've immediately incorporated.

However, in addition to Nila's point, using the calculated view, I can't display 20 album covers and click through them to get tracks, I've got to select the album in the pane which lets me see the single album, but not the list. Also, as has been pointed out before, you don't get any details, since you aren't in detail view. I can edit in the Action Window, but it isn't as easy as editing in place in detail view...

Hopefully the tiled view will come soon, it has certainly been requested many times over the years and it seems like the only completely useful way to go.

Yeah, those are some limitations, which is why I'm really hoping they incorporate the combined album art/details view. But for now, it's at least a little easier than constantly switching back and forth.
Pages: [1]   Go Up