INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Deals I'd like to see for J River & future Media Center development  (Read 1379 times)

gpvillamil

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Listen to the music...

The computer music market is very competitive, and there are some heavy duty players involved (eg. Apple, Microsoft). One way for JRiver to compete and thrive is to join forces with other smaller players to provide an integrated solution that is really unbeatable. It's a little frustrating to see a bunch of little companies, each with a great product, spending a lot of resource re-inventing the wheel when pooling resources could really help. Here is a list of some possible alliances that would be really, really interesting.

Dedicated music players

There are now a number of companies making devices that stream music over a wired or wireless LAN from a server PC. For the most part they are developing their own server software. Why doesn't JRiver either extend Media Server to support these devices directly, or sync with their server software? Companies include Slim Devices, Roku Labs (who use the Slimserver, and sync with iTunes), Linksys and Kiss Technologies. None of these guys are in the business of writing & selling music server software, couldn't J River partner with them? None of them (except Linksys) are giants, they need friends in order to compete.

DVD player

Make a deal with a company that makes a really, really good DVD playback codec, and bundle it with MC. Maybe charge a bit extra for a version with DVD playback built-in. I'd suggest the Sonic Cinemaster codec. This would let J River test & validate a known codec, add extra features, and deliver on the promise of DVD playback... (I couldn't find anywhere on the website where it says that MC needs extra software for DVD playback.)

DJ software

Mixmeister makes a well regarded DJing package. The strong point is its beat matching & mixing algorithms. Its database, while good, is no match for Media Center. How about doing a codevelopment deal with them? J River could licence media database to them, and they could provide a beat matching/mixing plugin for MC.

MP3 players

MC beats the pants off the software that's bundled with the Rio & iRiver players. Why not formalize this relationship? Maybe ship a "lite" version of MC with the players? Also SteveG would get access to developer info, and build something better than the iPod.

Audio Hardware

Work with M-Audio and/or Turtle Beach to provide absolutely seamless, integrated functioning with their products. Incorporate the "control panel" software that comes with their stuff directly into MC.

Remote Control

Work with Philips, ATI or whoever to make an out-of-the-box remote control solution. No Girder, no learning, no programming necessary. (The NetRemote installer is a step in the right direction.)

Visualizations

Talk to Andy and Randy about porting their amazing visualizations to MC. They support tons of other players, and I don't think they get much in return.

Photo software

Cerious makes a nice photo organizing program called ThumbsPlus, heavily database driven. Why not pool resources with them on database development? They could provide enhanced image editing/management for MC.

NoCodeUK

Re:Deals I'd like to see for J River & future Media Center development
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2004, 03:31:28 am »

All of these ideas are excellent.... I would especially be happy with the DJ support and the image management support...

Adam
"It's called No Code because it's full of code. It's misinformation." - Eddie Vedder

Jaguu

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2004, 04:22:11 am »

Obviously they have a big fish in the pool which they will reveal somewhere in April. Hopefully they caught the right fish.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2004, 09:11:11 am »

gp,
These are great suggestions.  Thanks.

Like small farmers, small developers are hard to organize.  We've contacted several of the companies you mention.  Each has a story of their own.  We won't give up on them.  Your prodding them might also help.

We should be in a better position to assemble coalitions like these shortly.

Jim

crowfan

• Galactic Citizen
  • For every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you.
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2004, 09:56:52 am »

Just an FYI, in case nobody saw....

TiVo announced at CES yesterday that they have a deal in place with Sonic that will allow you to use the TiVo Home Media Option together with Sonic software to transfer your recorded shows from your TiVo to your computer and burn them to DVD. Since MC already supports the TiVo HMO, and MC can burn DVDs, and Sonic was suggested above, this might be a good road for MC to try and travel.

Just my $0.02   :)

crow
"It's going to be a trilogy."   Robert Jordan, circa 1989

KingDodo

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2004, 10:34:17 am »

Remote control could be great feature. Like i posted in the past, support for joystick without Girder could be great.
French peoples, visit my portal :
Francophones, visitez mon portail:
www.kingdodo.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up