INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: organising viewing schemes in mc9  (Read 1717 times)

nickharambee

• Galactic Citizen
  • doh!
organising viewing schemes in mc9
« on: January 19, 2004, 07:25:09 am »

i have all of my music backed up on a second drive, and i import files from both drives so that i can check that i have a good back up (i.e. the same number of files).  this causes one problem though, and that is that when i want to just play tracks of a certain genre, mc9 will find two copies of every track because there is one on each drive.  what is the simplest way of viewing/playing tracks from a given genre from just one of the drives?  also, is it possible to have 2 genre categories for each track, e.g. one for continent (e.g. africa) and one for country (e.g. zaire), so that i can either listen to all tracks from africa or just those from zaire.

thanks,

nick

jleerigby

Re:organising viewing schemes in mc9
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2004, 07:43:21 am »

That seems like a long-winded way of checking that you have a good backup.  Why not just right-click the drive or directory in explorer and compare the number of bytes being used by each drive?

If you really want to do it your way you can exclude tracks (let's say exclude tracks on drive E) from a view scheme by editing the viewscheme and adding a rule like:

-[filename]="E:\"

You other question has come up many times before under the topic of 'sub genre'.  Try a search of this on the forum.  The genre field cannot be edited but you can create a new field via tree and view settings.

nickharambee

• Galactic Citizen
  • doh!
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2004, 08:28:41 am »

thanks jlee

ok, so i now have a great view scheme with various subgenres, but i am still not clear exactly how to set up a rule within this viewscheme whereby one or two of my drives are excluded.  where exactly do i enter this rule?

nick

Zarius

• World Citizen
  • Addicted to smilies.
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2004, 06:44:51 pm »

You can use the 'View Filter' to exclude these files from showing up (NOTE: View Filter was phased out in version 10.0.34 in favour of 'Access Control' which works differently).

Create a smartlist - eg. "MP3'd backups" with a rule that makes it show only the backed up files eg. [filename]="D:\mp3backup" then go up to the 'View' menu and select 'View Filter\Hide\MP3'd backups' when you don't want to see them, and you can use 'View Filter\Show Only\MP3'd backups' to see only those files in any of your view schemes.  For ease of use you can also add a view filter button to the toolbar (toolbar options are under the Tools\Options\Tree&View).

As noted above, the new 'Access Control' works differently... 1) it requires a password, 2) if you type an advanced control - eg: [filename]="D:\mp3backup" ... it doesn't remember this when you turn the control off, you'll have to type it each time.  It's also not as easy to set up multiple play/smart-lists and quickly change the filter from one to another  (either showing or hiding)... hopefully as it develops it will address these issues (or become a feature in addition to View Filters)

Zarius

• World Citizen
  • Addicted to smilies.
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2004, 06:56:53 pm »

On the topic of subgenres... just thought I'd chuck in my current configuration, in case anyone finds it usefull.

I have the normal Genre field and created a GenreSub field... I use the GenreSub for the multiple Genres and used to use the Genre field for the main Genre (from the ones listed in the GenreSub)...

I found that when you have a large library the number of genres can grow quite large (only 29 in mine, but that's still heaps :)), so I now use the Genre field to show an overall genre... eg: a song might be SubGenre: Australian;Electronic;Soundtrack;Rap;Classical (what a weird song that'd be :)) however I might class it under just Genre:Pop.  Futher eg: I class all rave/house/trippy/happy hardcore/trance/etc music under the Genre 'Dance'.

This allows me to keep the full genre info under GenreSub, yet trim down those Genres so I can make more general selections.

I setup a view scheme with Genre/GenreSub/Artist/etc. This means I can then select a generalised Genre to narrow down the GenreSub pane.

Have fun :)

groovedaddy

• Recent member
  • Stay still so I can hack your arm off...
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2004, 06:24:40 am »

I started to do the same thing, breaking tunes into subgenres and only using a few genres. But the one thing that is baffling me at the moment is how to create a view scheme that retrieves the same value in both subgenre and genre. For instance, I have one tune classified as genre:underground subgenre:pop and a second tune classified as genre:pop. How can I create a view that will show all pop tunes regardless of if its in the genre or subgenre? Does that make sense?

Cheers,
GDaddy
Still partying like it's 999.

_K_C_

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2004, 11:13:36 am »

For instance, I have one tune classified as genre:underground subgenre:pop and a second tune classified as genre:pop. How can I create a view that will show all pop tunes regardless of if its in the genre or subgenre? Does that make sense?

I don't think it's possible directly as MC doesn't support "OR" in smartlists / views.

I think you may be able to do it by creating three smartlists
(1) genre=pop
(2) subgenre=pop
(3) link to smartlists (1) and (2)

but I can't test that from the office !

KC

Zarius

• World Citizen
  • Addicted to smilies.
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2004, 08:13:13 pm »

The way I get around this is by making my 'SubGenre' a list (you can change it under Options\Tree&View\Edit if it's not already a list).

This way the first song would be:

Genre: Underground
SubGenre: Pop;Underground

And the second would be:

Genre: Pop
SubGenre: Pop (or 'Pop;Heavy Pop' - whatever)

The key point here is that the 'Genre' tag is always one of the list items in my 'SubGenre' tag... this way the 'SubGenre' pane will show:

Heavy Pop
Pop
Underground

and when I click on Pop I get all songs that are Pop, underground or not.

rocketsauce

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2004, 08:21:49 pm »

I don't think it's possible directly as MC doesn't support "OR" in smartlists / views.

Actually, it does. So the smartlist rule would be Genre: Pop or Subgenre: Pop.

Rob

groovedaddy

• Recent member
  • Stay still so I can hack your arm off...
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2004, 06:33:14 am »

The key point here is that the 'Genre' tag is always one of the list items in my 'SubGenre' tag...

Thanks Zarius, I think that's the direction I'll take...

Cheers,
GDaddy
Still partying like it's 999.
Pages: [1]   Go Up