INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 'New' file properties in A/W . . . .  (Read 2690 times)

LisaRCT

'New' file properties in A/W . . . .
« on: January 20, 2004, 10:31:29 am »

It was improved, but just took a major step in the WRONG direction by making it back to the old way.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re:'New' file properties in A/W . . . .
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2004, 10:54:22 am »

Can you be specific about what you do and don't like?

LisaRCT

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2004, 11:08:36 am »

What I do not like . . .
I do not like the divisions having been put back to the old way . .  . I prefer the revised list with everything in alphabetical order and the option to chose whether to show all fields or only those in use currently.

It had been an improvement in my opinion (and I expect to some others).

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2004, 11:12:45 am »

You can still choose whether to show all fields or just those in the current view.

Tick the "Show all fields" option.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

LisaRCT

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2004, 11:16:36 am »

I did see that Matt, thanks anyway.
I just found the other structure easier and more intuitive.
Maybe I am alone in that . . .  :-\

Quisp

• Galactic Citizen
  • Dol Sot Bi Bim Bap
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2004, 11:26:00 am »

You can still choose whether to show all fields or just those in the current view.

Tick the "Show all fields" option.

Hi Matt, I was going to mention that it took me a while to figure out that if I deselected Show All Fields, I'd get a list of currently viewed fields. In fact, it took me even longer to figure out that the AW fields were actually the same fields in the main list. (I was just focusing on the one area of the screen)

I think the headers used for the different sections could be made darker or otherwise different from the fields listed underneath. They tend to get lost in the list.

However, though I'd like to have the custom list in the Action Window be different from the list in the main window, this new arraingement has saved me a LOT!!! of time with tagging and allowed me to separate fields into meaningful categories instead of keeping them all in General to save scrolling around.

One other feature that would be nice would be an expand all/collapse all option.

LonWar

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2004, 11:38:36 am »

I hated the fact that it was removed...
To me I think it's a lot better...
-

nila

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2004, 12:50:38 pm »

For me neither one really meets my needs.
Both are equally as unhelpful.

With the old way I toggled between 'General' into which I squeezed as many custom fields as I could into and 'All Fields'.

With the new way I still try shove as much as I can into 'General' but then have to open the other ones to try find the other fields I want for other occassions.

Are we ever going to be given an option to create our own grouping?
With the introduction of 'media modes' I got really hopefully we'd see more of a theme towards different media types throughout the whole program but if it is happening it's definitely not getting to the AW Tag Info page :(

All I want to be able to do is create like 5 groups of fields and name them myself:

• Music
  • Music Video's
  • Photo's
  • TV Series
  • Dance Video's

with fields overlapping between groups.
Then I could just load up whichever group of fields I wanted for the files I am dealing with :(

LisaRCT

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2004, 12:57:50 pm »

<snip>

All I want to be able to do is create like 5 groups of fields and name them myself:

• Music
  • Music Video's
  • Photo's
  • TV Series
  • Dance Video's

Then I could just load up whichever group of fields I wanted for the files I am dealing with :(

WOW Nila . . brilliant . . .
the answer is to make them organized NOT by what the tags are but rather HOW THEY ARE USED.

Simple, and makes better sense to me.  A surgical suite is not organized by the classification of the tools and devices, but rather what is used together and the order in which is will likely be needed. Efficient, user friendly, intuitive.

jleerigby

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2004, 01:00:58 pm »

I really don't like the new format.  I loved it just the way it was in 9.1.316.  I put all the tags that I need regularly in General and those that I need occassionally in Extended.  This worked great but now the Tag info window is using up too much space showing the headings for File Info and all the other stuff I don't use.  This is not so much of a problem on 1 PC but is a big problem on my HTPC which runs in a res of 848*480.  The tag info pane is barely capable of showing 2 fields without me needing to scroll up or down.  It's really painful and I have to use in place editing wherever posible.

Please let us have it back the way it was.

Quisp

• Galactic Citizen
  • Dol Sot Bi Bim Bap
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2004, 01:32:09 pm »

I was hoping that we could create custom views based on whatever we wanted and then show and hide them individually like we could before with the "hard-coded" catgories. Much as Nila states above and has asked for many times.

I think the one feature I like in the current method was available in the old method, just buried. Either way, I'd really like the fields visible in the Action Window to be separate from those in the right, view list. I use certain fields for tagging that are meaningless (for me) in an album or tracklist (review, bio, lyrics, tones, styles, etc.). I'd rather have that view contain, artist, album, rating, etc. Maybe this is already possible...

LonWar

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2004, 02:05:03 pm »

With the old way I toggled between 'General' into which I squeezed as many custom fields as I could into and 'All Fields'.

With the new way I still try shove as much as I can into 'General' but then have to open the other ones to try find the other fields I want for other occassions.

Are we ever going to be given an option to create our own grouping?
With the introduction of 'media modes' I got really hopefully we'd see more of a theme towards different media types throughout the whole program but if it is happening it's definitely not getting to the AW Tag Info page :(

• Music
  • Music Video's
  • Photo's
  • TV Series
  • Dance Video's

Man that sounds like a plan....

-

rocketsauce

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2004, 03:04:45 pm »

I loved it just the way it was in 9.1.316.  I put all the tags that I need regularly in General and those that I need occassionally in Extended.  This worked great but now the Tag info window is using up too much space showing the headings for File Info and all the other stuff I don't use.

I agree. I also liked that AW configuration better than the recent changes made to it.

The changes haven't really made the tagging process any smoother for me. For me, it's still just easier to use another program to do the majority of work before importing files and then use MC to tag only MC-specific custom fields.

Also, one of the changes that was made to the AW was to allow it to vertically autosize more if the tree is collapsed. The problem is that now the collapsed group headers take up a bunch of space at the bottom of the AW/Tag Info screen and you still end up scrolling thru tag fields just as much as before.

Now, Matt (and some other Interact users) have stated in other threads that they use Tagging Mode to do all their tagging work. I use Tagging Mode once in awhile to quickly change a tag like Genre, for example. I get the concept behind TM and how it should/could be easy to use, but I just can't seem to really work out how to set MC up so that I can efficiently use TM instead of the AW. Maybe I just use too many custom fields. Did you guys create a bunch of view schemes that you use only when you're in TM? I would need probably 8 or 10 view schemes to cover all the fields I use. Maybe someone who uses Tagging Mode can start a thread with suggestions how they have things set up, 'cuz it's just not clicking with me.  :P

Rob

LisaRCT

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2004, 03:30:17 pm »

For me, it's still just easier to use another program to do the majority of work before importing files and then use MC to tag only MC-specific custom fields.
Rob

A sad statement considering al lthat MC is supposed to be  
Pages: [1]   Go Up