INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Taskbar auto-hide bug  (Read 5136 times)

David_1cog

Taskbar auto-hide bug
« on: January 23, 2004, 08:41:14 am »

This version has reintroduced the taskbar / toolbar autohide problem for me... when I maximize MC, the taskbar (+side toolbar) will not come out of autohide until I minimize all apps and view the desktop.

MC has demonstrated this behaviour (intermittently) since somewhere during v9 development.

It would be so nice if this were fixed in preference to new features being developed.  From previous posts I know I'm not the only one suffering this.  It's a major PITA having to keep drilling back to desktop numerous times a day because of this.

Also, a request to fix mouse scroll for Logitech trackball devices (when using 'Universal Scroll').

Thanks for listening. :)

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re:David_1cog: Taskbar auto-hide bug
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2004, 08:57:51 am »

We've never been able to reproduce this.

A detailed step-by-step instructions on how to reproduce it would help.

Anyone else see this?
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Zarius

• World Citizen
  • Addicted to smilies.
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2004, 09:12:08 am »

I've had this behaviour with every v10 build I've used so far (most of them) and I think v9.316 too.

My taskbar is on auto-hide and placed on the right-hand side of the screen.  When MC is running and I move the mouse to the right the taskbar doesn't come up.  Minimising MC is one way of getting to the taskbar... a far easier way for me is to press the 'Start' key first, then move my mouse over the right side of the screen and the taskbar comes up as usual (at least I seem to recall doing this... can't check as I'm at a friends house... I'll check later).

I also have a 'Quick Start' bar at the top of the screen set to 'Always on top' and 'Auto-hide' and have the same behaviour with this... I say 'behaviour' and not 'problem' because it's not been too big a hassle for me... though occaisionally annoying.

David_1cog

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2004, 12:28:48 pm »

We've never been able to reproduce this.

A detailed step-by-step instructions on how to reproduce it would help.

Anyone else see this?

From http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=18682:

13. Fixed: Media Center would be 'Always on Top' on some machines. (maybe fixed -- please let us know)

Are we talking about something else?

Anyway, the problem in detail:

I work with taskbar set to autohide and always on top.  I also have a toolbar docked to left side of screen with same autohide / always on top.

After I maximize MC both taskbar and toolbar will (usually) not come out of auto hide.

To make the taskbar reappear I need to hit Window key.

To make the docked toolbar reappear I need to minimize all open apps until I can view the desktop - I then need to click on empty space on the toolbar.

This is an intermittent problem (maybe 70%) and I have not noticed a pattern when it does / does not occur.

MC is the only app out of dozens that I run that causes this.

I originally raised this issue in http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?board=2;action=display;threadid=2361;start=msg11184#msg11184, when Jim decided it wasn't an MC problem, but something with my machine.  From the 10.0.42 thread, above, I thought you had maybe identified a problem.  I hope so - this is an infuriating little bug for me.

David.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2004, 12:36:08 pm »

If you have not done so, disable all plug-ins.

phelt

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2004, 01:43:57 pm »

Perhaps it's just 3rd party plugs that need to be disabled?

The only such plug that I use is Neil's AutoEqualizer - disabling (stopping) it did resolve the autohide taskbar issue. Is there something that plug developers can do to keep this from occuring in the future?

skeeterfood

• We're all just food for the skeeters.
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2004, 01:55:13 pm »

I just found that if I disabled the PlayingNow plugin (the only one I had running), then restarted MC, it no longer prevented the auto-hidden task bar from popping up (It also shows a bit at the bottom of the screen).  After it was working, I could start the PlayingNow plugin and then restart MC and it still worked.  Looks like there's a problem with the fix until you disable all plugins...

-John

David_1cog

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2004, 05:02:59 pm »

Could you clarify - do you mean disable third party plugins?  I haven't installed any plugins... the only ones running are default.

RhinoBanga

• Developer
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2004, 05:10:11 pm »

It would sound like an MC issue if both PlayingNow and AutoEqualizer both cause autohide to fail.

Although since it looks like David_1cog doesn't use any 3rd party plugins it's probably something else.

Zarius

• World Citizen
  • Addicted to smilies.
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2004, 05:37:21 am »

Hmm... weird... I uninstalled the Playing Now plugin and the taskbar's work fine now... however upon installing Playing Now . . . voila! They still work! (same as skeeterfood mentioned :) [just that I uninstalled, not disabled])

RhinoBanga

• Developer
Re:Taskbar auto-hide bug
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2004, 07:36:08 am »

Well it does sound as if MC has issues with it's plugin hosting.

RhinoBanga

• Developer
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2004, 07:49:33 am »

I have just tried it out here and can confirm that it's not PN nor any other third party plugin.

I can reproduce the bug with v10.0.43 with no third party plugins installed.

On my machine it's very easy to see what is happening.

With autohide on Windows draws a one pixel border along the docked edge.

When MC is maximised it is sized to the full screen and as such covers the taskbar border.   Compare this to, say, notepad which maximizes but still considers the pixel taskbar border.

I wonder if MC does some special action on a maximize?

David_1cog

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2004, 08:02:03 am »

When MC is maximised it is sized to the full screen and as such covers the taskbar border.   Compare this to, say, notepad which maximizes but still considers the pixel taskbar border.

Exactly what I see, although there's more to it than just covering the taskbar / toolbar because once MC is minimized I (very often, not always) cannot unhide the taskbar / toolbar without drilling down to desktop or hitting Windows key to force taskbar out of autohide.

nila

« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2004, 12:50:53 pm »

Perhaps it's just 3rd party plugs that need to be disabled?

The only such plug that I use is Neil's AutoEqualizer - disabling (stopping) it did resolve the autohide taskbar issue. Is there something that plug developers can do to keep this from occuring in the future?

Glad to hear you use my plugin.  :P
Always wondered if anyone bothered to use it!

Anyway, back to the subject.
Even if uninstalling this plugin DOES fix the problem, the code for this plugin does NOT call or do anything anywhere near powerful enough to control anything like this. As such it's a problem with MC and the way it is handling the plugins.
I would be MORE than happy to submit the FULL code for the plugin if you really want me to in order to prove beyond a doubt that it is not the plugin causing this.

Uninstalling the plugins narrows down the fault to MC and the plugins which means there is a bug with the way MC is handling the plugins.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2004, 12:57:19 pm »

Even if uninstalling this plugin DOES fix the problem, the code for this plugin does NOT call or do anything anywhere near powerful enough to control anything like this. As such it's a problem with MC and the way it is handling the plugins.
Nila,
Bold statement.

Jim

RhinoBanga

• Developer
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2004, 01:16:03 pm »

Jim,

Any comment on my investigation showing that it's nothing to do with plugins but in fact MC maximizing?

David_1cog

« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2004, 01:22:26 pm »

Bold statement.

Either way, do JRiver accept there is a potential / likely bug in MC and will attempt to find a fix?  I'm asking because I'm none the wiser from this thread.

It's affecting a few people and I'll bet there'd be many more if other people used autohide.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2004, 01:25:41 pm »

I don't think we can rule out anything yet.  We're still gathering facts.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2004, 01:34:10 pm »

...I'll bet there'd be many more if other people used autohide.
I use autohide on every PC I use and I haven't seen this problem.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2004, 01:35:34 pm »

It's us, and we'll get if fixed in one of the coming builds.

Because of all the owner draw parts of MC, we need to do special maximize handling.  Something in there is broken.

Thanks everyone.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

David_1cog

« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2004, 01:42:04 pm »

It's us, and we'll get if fixed in one of the coming builds.

That's going to turn the stress-o-meter down a couple of notches after a full day of cursing at not being able to get my taskbar and toolbar to appear.

Thanks, Matt.  :)

nila

« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2004, 03:10:26 am »

Thanks Matt!

Nila,
Bold statement.

Jim

It's not that bold a statement if you saw the source code for the plugin.
It's pretty much made up of logic statements:

'If genre of songplaying has eqpreset with samename then change eq preset to saved one with this name.'

Code like that doesn't touch the OS or make ANY OS calls and so it's easy to claim that it's not effecting anything to do with whether the program covers other programs etc.
MOST of the plugins in MC are of this type of nature and have no fancy drawing methods etc so saying they dont effect how MC is drawing by themselves is an easy claim to make for almost all the plugins.

David_1cog

« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2004, 07:03:36 am »

I thought 10.0.57 had fixed this but I'm still getting a problem.

With MC maximized taskbar and toolbar come out of autohide (that part is fixed), but now when I minimize MC the taskbar and toolbar will not appear.  Again, this is an intermittent problem (~50% today).

David_1cog

« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2004, 07:42:14 am »

The bug remains in 10.0.64.

My last post wasn't acknowledged, it would be nice if someone could respond this time.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2004, 08:12:28 am »

We don't usually acknowledge bugs.  We do fix them.

JorgeGVB

• World Citizen
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2004, 10:50:15 am »

I also have been experiencing the autohide issue with MC open.  I have to press the Windows key on my keyboard to bring up the taskbar.

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2004, 01:30:38 pm »

I've had this issue on some of my installations ever since I started using 9.1 (which I still use on the main media player computers, I don't dare using anything that's not 100 % stable because of the WAF (Wife Acceptancy Factor), which is borderline after a lot of false starts with CrxpAmp in the bad old days before MC multi-zone...).
Tor with the Cinema Inferno & Multi-Zone Audio system

David_1cog

« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2004, 02:42:43 pm »

We don't usually acknowledge bugs.

That makes it a little difficult for your customers to feel involved in helping to improve your product.  How long would it take to make a courteous, cut and paste "Noted. Thank you for your input." post?

We do fix them.

I first reported this bug 18 months ago.  I reported the Logitech 'Universal Scroll' bug five months ago.  Neither are fixed.

I wasn't going to respond to your earlier post:

I use autohide on every PC I use and I haven't seen this problem.

I find that an odd statement coming from a  professional software developer.  It's irrelevant that the handful of PCs you use do not demonstrate the bug - enough of your customers have come forward to prove it exists.

This bug spoils my use of an otherwise excellent piece of software.  It may only be a small percentage of this forum suffering the bug but I'm sure we would all be grateful if development resource was focused on fixing it rather than seeing a continual stream of new features and tweaks to existing ones.

The same applies to the Logitech 'Universal Scroll' bug (http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=10080).
Pages: [1]   Go Up