INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Client/Server Questions  (Read 1205 times)

WDave

• Recent member
Client/Server Questions
« on: January 25, 2004, 08:50:07 am »

Howdy,

Due to some cabling requirements, my MC server is inconvienently located in the basement.  I eventually plan to use MusicLobby PPC to select and play files.  I won't have this working for a couple of months and was wondering if it is possible to control what the MC server PC is playing from the client PC?

Also,  can you modifiy a playlist/smartlist on the client and have it saved on the server?

Thanks.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re:Client/Server Questions
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2004, 08:54:39 am »

In the FAQ here, there is a section on remotes.  You can take a look at NetRemote there.

WDave

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2004, 09:19:31 am »

Either Netremote or MusicLobby will work great for playing files.

I would also like to perform  database management tasks from the client.  This includes creating smartlists,  playlists,  added cover art,etc.   My understanding of all the remote control clients is that they are strictly for playing music.  

wtf

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2004, 12:04:08 pm »

Can't you use VNC or remote desktop?

_K_C_

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2004, 10:04:03 am »

WDave

I'm not sure I understand exactly what you want, but if you want to manage the MC database from a client PC (as opposed to a Pocket PC) it's easy enough.  Just store the music files on the server, run MC on the client, and access the music files either via a mapped drive on the client, or by using UNC (eg //server/data/music)

i.e.
(1) Store the music files on the server
(2) Run MC on your client, accessing the server for the music files
And then either
(3) Store the MC database on the client (default)
(4) or store the MC database on the server, i.e.
- look in Library Manager to find where the default library is stored on the client,
- in Windows copy the client directory across to the server,
- use Library Manager to open the server version of the Library to make sure everything is fine
- then delete the original Library on the client

The only thing you need to be careful about is trying to update the database from the client machine AND the server machine at the same time.

Sorry if this is obvious and / or isn't what you're looking for.

KC

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Getting older every day
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2004, 02:27:53 am »

On a similar note...

I have all of my music stored on my office server.  One, because i spend about 12 hours a day there.  And two, because I have it set up to allow me to access it via VPN from the house.

The problem is, I have all of my music stored as ape files and they cannot stream fast enough to listen to them on my machine when I'm at home.  I have cable access (actually pretty fast cable too), but it is still not fast enough to stream ape files.

I know MC can convert ape files "on the fly" to mp3's, because it does it for TiVo Home Media.

Is there any way to get MC to convert the files remotely on the server before sending the stream over the internet, so I can at least listen to my music from home?  If I have to wait a few minutes for the first song or few songs to convert before streaming starts, that's fine too.
pretend this is something funny
Pages: [1]   Go Up