INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wireless Sound  (Read 4639 times)

RAV

• Recent member
  • RAV
Wireless Sound
« on: September 23, 2002, 06:07:48 pm »

I am looking for a product that will allow me to stream or transmit sound from MJ and other streaming audio from my PC to a stereo system in another room. I would like a wireless system but with decent sound quality. Any ideas?

Cascadence

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
Here is Re: Wireless Sound
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2002, 08:28:30 pm »

I don't think an easy to install cost-effective product yet exists.  I think the solution at the current time is to use a bridge from an ethernet connection to a 802.11b network.

See the discussion earlier at http://www.musicex.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=general;action=display;num=1024500851;start=9

Rudy

• Recent member
Re: Wireless Sound
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2002, 02:51:26 am »

A company called X-10 does computer/wireless/automation stuff. They have this product called MP3 Anywhere 2000-is this what you're looking for?

http://www.x10.com/products/x10_ak11a.htm

There's also one there called Entertainment Anywhere-not sure what the difference is.

If I lived in the States, I'd go for it. Looks to do the job for $80. I also did a google search on "mp3 anywhere 2000" to check out what other people were saying-looks pretty positive. Check it out.

I don't work for X10  :)

beetleman

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2002, 05:10:49 am »

I have been using a 2.4 ghz Radio Shack A/V sender/receiver for about two years, with excellent results.  This allows me to play mp3 files from the pc outdoors via a second amp located in my bedroom.  The signal is tramsmitted about 50 feet through a wall with no noticeable drop in quality.
It runs about 99 bucks.  

NY40Male

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2002, 05:41:50 am »

Best Buys Has 2 Products I Bought..They Both Are Wirelsss...1 Transmitter Hooks Up To The Computer Sound Card (I Bought A Splitter So I Could Also Plugin My Puter Speakers) And The Other End Goes Into The Auxiliary Of My AIWA...Turn On The Stereo Put It On Aux..And Play Away..The Other  Thing I Bought There Which I Like Better Same Hookup (Back Of Computer) But The Source Is A Wireless ADVENT Speaker That I Can Take Room To Room..(Comes With AC Adapter) But I Also Have Batteries In It So When I'm Out On My Balcony...

Cascadence

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2002, 09:20:31 am »

Does anyone know the limitations of the X10 product?

For example, does it work with MJ?

One limitation I can think of is whether you have a cordless phone using the 2.4 GHz channel.

X10 is relentless at marketing with the darn pop-up ads.  Had to get popupstopper--freeware-- from another Seattle company <www.panicware.com> If you buy from X10, I assume you are on their list.  Yuck.  Do I need to go to the bother of using someone else's mailing list in order to stay off their list?  Did your junk mail zoom after ordering from X10?  

Anyone know if this thing works well beyond 100 feet?

The "Entertainment Anywhere" product is $69.99 with free shipping.  http://www.x10.com/products/x10_vk57a.htm

TIA

lca_ge950

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2002, 12:00:01 am »

I've seen a product offered on tigerdirect.com.  It's a wireless sound transmitter produced by US Robotics.  Good brand name and its only 50 bucks but it's only transmitting on a 900 mhz frequency.  
 http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-Details.asp?sku=U13-4020

Hope that helps, and if anyone decides to purchase let us know how it works out.  Later.  

Cascadence

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
orderRe: Wireless Sound
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2002, 09:56:55 pm »

ordered one of the $70 Entertainment Anywhere units from X10.  Return w/in 30 days.  Seemed to be better in that it was 2.4 Ghz channel.

Will see if it works okay and report back.

Scronch

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2002, 11:59:23 pm »

>Seemed to be better in that it was 2.4 Ghz channel.

That's been the assumption (and marketing hype) for a while now.  I was surprised to see in Consumer Reports that they found NO difference in range or signal quality between 900MHz and 2.4 GHz phones.  They mention that the phasing out of 900MHz phones appears to be driven solely by marketing.  The only advantage they cite for higher frequencies is a minimal increase in security against eavesdropping.

One data point is virtually meaningless, but my Mom was having trouble with a new 900MHz phone reaching from one end of the house to outside on the other end.  So I brought over our new 2.4GHz phone.  The range was not much better, maybe 10 feet, but that's probably more a function of power than frequency.

I guess it's a lot like that "blend of 11 herbs and spices".

Scronch

marketability

• World Citizen
  • eat!
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2002, 11:04:17 am »

try http://www.slimp3.com/

You can add a WAP and network bridge into your LAN and stream MP3 (they say APE is on its way)

marketability

• World Citizen
  • eat!
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2002, 11:06:49 am »

just a thought....
I tried streaming audio from my server to a HTPC over 802.11b (enhanced - 22Mbps) and there wasn't enough consistent bandwidth to handle high quality APE

I had to revert to a cable

I think the stability of the connection is the main issue coz a 10Mb LAN seemed to cope OK

Scronch

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2002, 04:10:13 pm »

I saw something else interesting in Consumer Reports.  They tested wireless headphones.  They found that the 2.4GHz models experienced interference from microwaves, hard disk drives, and wireless phones.  They also said that the frequency range of all the headphones tested was not great.  I don't think I'd go wireless for headphones or a feed to my amp just yet.

Scronch

PhatPhreddy

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Cosmic Comic
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2002, 11:46:40 am »

I have streamed APE over 22 and 11 mbps 802.11 nets with no problem....

I did have problems with old 2mbps NIC's but then I had cut them open and was running beta firmware and using non standard home made antenna's so YMMV...
Phreddy@PhatPhreddy.net ICQ# 168975535
HTPC Front ends  

marketability

• World Citizen
  • eat!
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2002, 01:00:58 am »

I have streamed APE over 22 and 11 mbps 802.11 nets with no problem....

wish i could - maybe I just have a flaky wireless net
The monitor told me I had a consistent 22Mb but maybe the dropouts were many and fast?

PhatPhreddy... were you using MediaServer or just a LAN connection to the files?

PhatPhreddy

• Cosmic Comic
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2002, 02:19:56 am »

LAN only....
Phreddy@PhatPhreddy.net ICQ# 168975535
HTPC Front ends  

marketability

• World Citizen
  • eat!
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2002, 02:08:39 pm »

your right... mediaserver over 22Mb keeps stalling - LAN is fine

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2002, 03:18:30 pm »

I stream ape files, which are less than 1Mb/second, between two machines on an 802.11b LAN without problems.

Make sure you have the latest version of MJ 8.0 and that the versions on both sides are the same.

marketability

• World Citizen
  • eat!
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2002, 09:10:41 am »

Thanks Jim - the versions were the same and I've just tried again with .382 - unfortunately same problem with my server connection.

I tried PC <> PC whilst both were close and streamed APEs OK so I think its me or my server!!

The problem is sporadic and on average one rebuffer per track. Still I can cope with the odd wire.

Cascadence

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2002, 08:27:41 am »

Okay, I said I would report back on my experience with the X10 product, Entertainment Anywhere:  So far, it is poor.  

Good points:  simple, cheap, and easy to install.

The product uses the 2.4Ghz channels, and I have tried all 4.  Sounds like listening to music through a cordless phone.  Scatchy, staticky.  Not worth listening to.   I can just crank up the speakers on my computer (when the wife unit is gone) and get better sound.

I have a msg. into X10's tech support.  I will report back to the thead if my experience improves, but I think I will just need an RMA from X10.

Still looking for an easy to install 802.11 product that would work to export MP3 from my computer to my speakers.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2002, 09:05:15 am »

I was looking at something today.

It was more like i was looking into low power transmitter.

there are a few you can buy or make your self, and the plans are aval on the internet.

at anyrate search for

"Low Power FM Transmitter"
"Low Power Shortwave Transmitter"

I am trying to look for my shortwave radio, if i can't find it i may need to buy another one. i did stop off at radio shack today and took a look at a few.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Scronch

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2002, 01:33:48 pm »

IMHO, wireless stinks today.  It's not that hard to buy a long drill bit.

Scronch

bob_j

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2002, 05:20:23 am »

I have the US Robotics wireless transmitter.  The quality is not that great.  About that of an FM radio.  Sometimes there are clicks and pops.  For background music that you're only half paying attention to, its ok.  

One feature I like is that it rebroadcasts on an FM frequency so you can use a portable radio in the garage or elsewhere.

Cascadence

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2002, 08:46:32 pm »

The 2.4 GHz Entertainment Anywhere didn't work for me.  I am returning for a refund from X10.

Scronch

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2002, 08:58:57 pm »

How about some details on the problems you had?

Cascadence

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2002, 03:44:36 am »

The problem was at least distance from the computer to the stereo receiver.   The sound through X10's Entertainment Anywhere was akin to listening to a stereo through a cordless phone.  There could have been other problems, too, that I never got to.

graham131

• Galactic Citizen
  • Yadb (get it?) dabba do.....
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2002, 07:05:20 am »

Hi Guys,

I use the SliMP3 device from www.slimdevices.com in conjunction with 2 Linksys WAP11's., set in Bridging Mode.

Sound Quality is great, useability is great. Reliability is great.

The best thing though was when I had initial setup issues (caused by a bad ID3V2 tag) the customer service was second to none!!!!! - Well Done guys.

1 downside is that Ape is not supported yet!!!

PS A UK distributor (where i bought the SliMP3) is www.ihavetohave.it

Cheers and happy hunting - Graham

Cascadence

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2002, 01:07:14 am »

Anyone try Streamium?  Looks wired, however.  
<http://www.audio.philips.com/streamium/product.asp>
http://www.audio.philips.com/streamium/product.asp

SliMp3 looks elegantly designed/flexible.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2002, 04:45:38 am »

We have a SlimMP3 in house at JRiver.  We like it.  The one we have isn't wireless, but because it's Ethernet based, you could add that.

We hope to support it soon.

graham131

• Galactic Citizen
  • Yadb (get it?) dabba do.....
« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2002, 04:56:04 am »

We have a SlimMP3 in house at JRiver.  We like it.  The one we have isn't wireless, but because it's Ethernet based, you could add that.

We hope to support it soon.

Wow Jim,  Support for that would be so.......... cool

Happy Thanksgiving

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2002, 08:37:09 am »

Sort Of Related

My son also has a wireless Headphone Set Called "UN/Wired" Infrared it can be hooked up to the computer and i think it works good.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA
Pages: [1]   Go Up