INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mulitple sound cards  (Read 815 times)

bcollins

• I might be a porcupine.
Mulitple sound cards
« on: January 30, 2004, 09:54:10 am »

I posted this topic on the AVS forum but nobody there had any ideas.  Even though this is hardware related, I'm hoping someone here can offer some advise since I know that some of you are successfully doing the same thing.

I have an ASUS K8V Deluxe MB with an Athlon64 3200+. I have been using the on board sound with no problems for the last couple of months. Recently, I decided to connect the digital out to my receiver so that I could drive some speakers in my kitchen using Media Center 10. All is fine except when someone wants to use the computer while I'm playing music. All of the windows/game/whatever sounds come through my receiver along with the Media Center output.

So I decided to put an additional sound card in so that I could use the on board sound for windows and the PCI sound card for a digital out connection to my receiver. Here's my problem - when I put the PCI sound card in and reboot the machine my MB sound completely vanishes from the device manager. Windows recognizes the new card and the drivers install but the MB sound is nowhere to be found. The card is a Chaintech AV710 7.1 card. I also tried a Soundblaster Live! card with the same results. As soon as I remove the PCI card then the MB sound reappears in the Device Manager and works fine. As a final measure I put both the Chaintech and the Soundblaster Live! in at the same time. Once again, only one sound device shows up and the other two (MB and Live!) don't show up anywhere.

I know that I've seen other people mention multiple sound cards routing to different zones. Do only certain cards work in this situation or am I doing something wrong?

I would appreciate any advise anyone has.

Thanks
Billy

RemyJ

• Citizen of the Universe
Re:Mulitple sound cards
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2004, 11:07:16 am »

My onboard SoundMAX Digital and PCI Audigy 2 work fine together.  You might want to check the BIOS sessings.  Maybe the onboard is being automatically disabled when a PCI card is detected.   If that's not the case, try one, then the other and record the resource settings.   Maybe they're stepping on each other.  Although you shouldn'y have to, maybe forcing one or the other to use different resources will help.  Maybe one is accidentally forced, etc.

Fedora 38 x86_64 Xfce

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar
Re:Mulitple sound cards
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2004, 12:51:45 pm »

This should not be happening. I've had up to five cards in one computer without problems. The best thing to get is an Audigy with kX drivers, since you can use that as three zones. Or one, if you use digital out. Then get another one, and you've got the rest of the zones there.
Tor with the Cinema Inferno & Multi-Zone Audio system
Pages: [1]   Go Up