INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: .62 -- "Auto Expand" logic not as good.  (Read 2578 times)

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
.62 -- "Auto Expand" logic not as good.
« on: February 06, 2004, 04:50:46 pm »

The Auto Expand logic in the latest build is not very conducive to easy workflow.  The default items under "Media Library" need to stay visible all the time -- these are the main groups, with "audio" most likely being the most commonly used one.  With this build, the "Media Library" branch collapses whenever you go to another branch, adding an extra step to get back to the 3 pane audio view.  This extra step may not "seem" like a big deal at first, but on such a common task this extra step gets annoying very quickly.

I was a big fan of the "auto expand" feature when it was added, but given the way it works now, I'll probably disable it until it allows us to keep "audio" visible all the time.

Larry

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
Re:.62 -- "Auto Expand" logic not as good.
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2004, 04:52:27 pm »

Click the plus button and it won't auto-collapse.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2004, 05:06:36 pm »

Only if you don't actually select anything.  As soon as you actually select something it DOES auto collapse.  Clicking the little "+" next to the playlist group, for example, allows me to see a list of playlists, but if I select one, the branch above collapses.  In other words, I can't actually LOOK at any other item without the Media Library branch collapsing, hiding the most commonly used branches.

As I said, I'm a big fan of auto-expanding trees, but the way MC does it with this build has made me turn it off.  Once again, certain items simply need to be one click away, and the default items under "Media Library" fall into this catagory.

Larry

ZRocker

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2004, 03:19:32 pm »

I'm with ya, Larry.

Who asked for auto-collapse support?

Clicking plus signs is silly...why have Auto Expand if you have to click the plus signs to get MC to work the way Auto-Expand should?  Guess we're back to just disabling Auto Expand because it's "over engineered".

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2004, 03:28:15 pm »

I'm with ya, lalittle.

Who asked for auto-collapse support?

Clicking plus signs is silly...why have Auto Expand if you have to click the plus signs to get MC to work the way Auto-Expand should?  Guess we're back to just disabling Auto Expand because it's "over engineered".

The problem I have is that the plus sign does NOT get MC to work the way Auto Expand should -- as soon as you highlight something, the previous branch collapses ANYWAY.  In other words, it's not just a matter of using the plus sign because you STILL can't look at anything with auto collapsing the previous branch.  I actually DO like auto-collapse depending on how it's logic works.  The problem with the way it works in MC now is that Auto Collapse is ALWAYS collapsing the previous branches ALL THE WAY.

My biggest issue at the moment is the fact that the Media Library is constantly collapsing, requiring the extra step just to get back to the "audio" tree.  To put it simply, this collapse is "too far."   "Audio" is arguably one of the most commonly used branches people access -- this should be kept visible for "one click" access.  Hiding EVERY time another branch is selected does nothing except hamper workflow.

It was better before.

Larry

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2004, 08:11:17 am »

We'll fix this.  Don't worry about it.  Please give us a couple more builds to try to get it right.

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2004, 02:49:05 am »

Thanks.

Larry

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2004, 10:14:57 am »

If Media Library is auto-expanded by clicking on it, it will auto-collapse.  If you click the plus next to Media Library, it shouldn't auto-collapse then.  This is how it's working for me, and is by design.

Can you give a step-by-step that breaks the above logic?

Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2004, 02:44:06 pm »

I have MC set to start on the Media Library (I'd prefer it to start on "audio," but this isn't an option.)  The first thing I do when openning MC is highlight "audio" in order to get the 3 pane audio view.  I click on another item -- "Playlists" for example -- and "Media Library" collapses.  This isn't how it used to work -- Media Library used to stay expanded.

If I THEN click the little + next to Media Library, and THEN click on audio, Media Library will stay expanded when highlighting another item.  This, however, means that I have remember to do this extra little process of clicking the + next to Media Library the first time I go BACK to it after having clicked on somthing else after first openning the program.  Kind of convoluted compared to the way it worked before.

Thanks again,

Larry

ZRocker

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2004, 08:29:37 pm »

Yeah...clicking plus signs is no fun, but auto-collapsing is pure frustration...it's over engineered (designed)...option to turn off auto-callapse...please.

I can tell this feature is going to probably stay as designed...but,  I didn't really use it before because it wasn't consistant throughout...now, it's consistant throughout, but someone decided to fix somthing that wasn't broke and added auto-collapse support without providing an option to turn off the auto-collapse support....so, I'll just continue to not use it (not big deal)....all software has over engineered things that nobody likes or uses...look at 90% of what MS Word has.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2004, 09:47:35 pm »

We'll fix this.  Don't worry about it.  Please give us a couple more builds to try to get it right.
Pages: [1]   Go Up