INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wierd symptoms/bug?  (Read 1804 times)

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Getting older every day
Wierd symptoms/bug?
« on: February 09, 2004, 09:49:10 pm »

I've got a couple wierd symptoms.  When i click something in MC that brings up a dialog box, nothing happens.  I have to go to another program, then come back to MC and then I can see the dialog box.  MC will just give me the 'you're a dumbass' ding sound when I try to click on anything inside MC until I change focus and return.

I also no longer have the navigation bars in the playing now/display window (the ones that auto hide and return when you move the mouse).  These symptoms both started at the same time.  I think it was in .60, but I'm not exactly sure.
pretend this is something funny

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re:Wierd symptoms/bug?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2004, 09:57:12 pm »

Are you using any third-party plug-ins?  

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2004, 10:02:07 pm »

Sorry,

Yes I am running Playing Now.  i have been pretty much only listening to Web Media for the last couple of days, so THe plug in hasn't been doing anything, but i'll turn it off and report back about the problem.

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2004, 10:13:46 pm »

Shut down Playing now, and restarted MC.  Did not restart windows, but the problem is still there.  Also, the seperator bar on the bottom is kinda 'missing'.  Where the bar should be, I see previous window information.  In this case I just switched back to MC while typing this and the blue background of this dialog box was visible where the seperator bar should have been.  If I grab and move the bar it goes back to normal, and functions properly.  but, still no navigation bars.  Actually there are there right when i start MC, but if I double-click to expand to fullscreen, the mouse never auto-hides and clicking will not bring the navigation bars back, so I have to double-click again to go back to normal view.  When I do that the seperator bar shows the area of the visualization in a still frame (not sure if that makes any sense).

This might help.

Media Center Registered 10.0.64 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center\

Microsoft Windows XP 5.1 Service Pack 1 (Build 2600)
Intel Pentium 4 2792 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 523 MB, Free - 224 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2800.1106 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82 (xpsp1.020828-1920) / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2800.1276 / Shell32.dll: 6.00.2800.1233 (xpsp2.030604-1804) / wnaspi32.dll: 4.60 (1021) , ASPI for Win32 (95/NT) DLL, Copyright © 1989-1999 Adaptec, Inc. / Aspi32.sys: 4.60 (1021)

Ripping /   Drive D:   Copy mode:ModeSecure   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
  Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: Yes /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
  Eject after ripping: Yes /  Play sound after ripping: No  

Burning /  Drive D: TOSHIBA  DVD-ROM SD-R6112   Addr: 1:0:0  Speed:16  MaxSpeed:16  BurnProof:Yes
  Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: No /  Write CD-Text: Yes
  Use playback settings: No /  Normalization: None

PS I keep forgetting the dialog box doesn't popup.  I waited for about 10 seconds for the system info box to appear, until I remembered, that's why i'm writing this, it doesn't popup. :P

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2004, 09:05:06 am »

It's an odd problem.  I don't know what it is, but I would try uninstalling other software, starting with Playing Now.

Reboot.

Reinstall MC, current build (65).

It's likely to have something to do with other software running.

Th ding is what you might expect if there were an error message hidden behind MC.  Try minimizing programs to see if you find one.

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2004, 09:44:50 am »

I'll do that right now.

I just remembered one more thing, which may or may not be related to this.

When I open MC, it opens minimized in the taskbar.  I have the option checked to open in Mega-me (or whatever it's called now), but it makes no difference.

Finally, will I have any library issues, or any issues for that matter, if I uninstall MC, reboot, then reinstall?  I can make a backup of the library, but I just want to be sure I don't lose any hard work.

Thanks

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2004, 10:18:02 am »

Try disabling any visualizations or track info pages too.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2004, 11:32:52 am »

I have uninstalled all plug ins (Playing Now, Cover Art Finder, Lyrics Finder), shut down and restarted MC.  Still have issues.

Installed .65, shut down COMPUTER, started computer, opened MC (still opened minimized in task bar), the playing now window seemed to be working fine, but as soon as I started streaming monkey radio, back to the same issues.  I have a friend in my office that runs the same visualization (one I created) on .64 (which I just upgraded from) with none of these wierd issues.

I made a Library backup, is there anything else I need to do before uninstalling MC alltogether, rebooting, and reinstalling .65, so I don't lose any tag/file info?

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2004, 04:34:38 pm »

I have uninstalled MC, rebooted, and tested.  All seemed fine, I went into options and made my customizations, all still was fine.  I lost my custom visualization in the process, to I grabbed a copy from my friend, and started using it, and guess what...screwed up again.  Changed the vis to a stock one, and all's well.  (I'm sure I tried this before, and it was still screwey)  Now, if I change the vis, it works fine.

Both the controls showing in the display and the dialog boxes showing work fine if I have a different vis than my custom one, and both don't work if I DO have the custom vis active.

What's even wierder is that my custom vis works fine on my friends system, which is also a Toshiba laptop, although, I do have a different video card than him.

I will try to remember all of the custom changes I made in Options, since that seemed to cause the problem.

Get Cover art from internet after ripping
eject Cd after ripping
Encoder to Monkey's Audio (high)
Rip & Encode simultaneously (unchecked)
Associated with all file types except images (BMP DIVX GIF JPEG PNG TIFF)
Directory (changed to none)
Filename (changed to Artist Album Track Name)
Minimize to system tray
No splash screen at startup
no Grid lines
Autosize columns

I think that's all of the changes I made.  If there is a way to provide all of my settings in an ini file or some other way I'm happy to provide that.  I'm also happy to provide my custom visualization to test with also.  My friend is out of the office so I can't really compare options with him right now, but maybe later if it will help.

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2004, 06:20:56 pm »

with version .66,

Sort of better?

The controls will come back, but they take about 10-15 seconds.  This is also the case with Damaged layers 4 and 5.  I am wondering if my P4 w/Hyperthreading is to blame.  My friends laptop does not have hyperthreading, and my vis maxes out his cpu.  with hyperthreading (I wish I knew how to disable it), i only get half the use of my processor, which means I'm sure I'm overtaxing my cpu (well, at least half of it).  I'll try to reduce the framerate and see if that helps.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2004, 06:38:58 pm »

Maybe try switch between DirectX and Standard drawing in the Visualization Studio options.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2004, 04:51:02 pm »

Direct X helped, I think.

I think I might have to turn off Hyperthreading (which is a PITA, as far as I can tell - I have to reinstall Windows XP after turning it off - Thanks Intel & Microsoft, real helpful).
Pages: [1]   Go Up