INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: doesn't recognize Real Alternative  (Read 604 times)

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
doesn't recognize Real Alternative
« on: February 15, 2004, 11:40:36 am »

Why doesn't MC 10.0.70 work correctly with Real Alternative?  I have a set of ".rm" files (which I am now converting to DivX AVI's, but that isn't the point), but I have long since gotten rid of RealOne in favor of MC.  I have the "Real Alternative" codec pack which allows me to play back the files in Windows Media Player just fine (search for it on Google if you want it).  These files won't work in MC though.  It simply advises me to download the Real Software.  That's nice I suppose for someone who doesn't have the ability to playback the file, but I do!  Is there just something I am missing?  Is there some way to disable or bypass this check?  Since, WiMP was able to play the files (though it complained as well, I was able to say "try it anyway and don't bother me again for these files"), I suspect that MC could if it tried as the codec is present and MC apparently can play real format files if you have Real installed.

Hmmm ... Should this be so?  Is it due to legal things with Real?  If so, why does MS's WiMP work?
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re:doesn't recognize Real Alternative
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2004, 12:31:07 pm »

Nevermind.

Apparently it only decides that you have passed the Real Software test if you have also installed the Media Player Classic module along with the Real Alternative codecs (it comes with it, but I actually didn't want the Media Player Classic, so I de-selected it during the install of Real Alternative).  I'm not sure why it is this way, but anyway, if you happen to be like me and need a work-around, install the Media Player Classic along with Real Alternative and you should be all set.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up