INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: newbie needs help! Keep getting "can't start the write" msg when trying to burn  (Read 1425 times)

bebop

• Citizen of the Universe

Can anyone help?  Keep getting a "can't start the write"  msg while trying to burn my dance playlist!  I have have disabled the auto detect, and have no problem buring using Musicmatch (which I  ditched because I liked the features of this program...perhaps I was a little too hasty in my decision??) and have even tried using Nero 6 ( which I had also uninstalled, and have now re0installed).  ?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?

What version are you running?  Post system info here by copying from MC Help/System Info.

Other programs can take tight control of the drive.  What are you running?  Does it work if Nero is uninstalled and you reboot?

If you're burning a data file, are you choosing data CD?

bebop

Media Center Registered 9.1.316 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center\

Microsoft Windows XP  Workstation 5.1 Service Pack 1 (Build 2600)
Intel Pentium 4 2512 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 1048 MB, Free - 733 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2800.1106 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82 (xpsp1.020828-1920) / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2800.1400 / Shell32.dll: 6.00.2800.1233 (xpsp2.030604-1804) / wnaspi32.dll: N/A
Ripping /   Drive F:   Copy mode:Normal   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
  Drive G:   Copy mode:Normal   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
  Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: Yes /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
  Eject after ripping: Yes /  Play sound after ripping: Yes  Soundfile:   C:\WINDOWS\Media\tada.wav

Burning /  Drive F: PIONEER  DVD-RW  DVR-104    Addr: 3:0:0  Speed:8  MaxSpeed:8  BurnProof:Yes
  Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: No
  Use playback settings: No /  Normalization: None

Am using the newest version  .316.  And tried uninstalling and re-botting...still got the prob.   So did a complete (cold)  re-boot   And still got the same message. Then  removed all of my other music programs with the exception of windows media player and tried again, and same msg  kepps coming up!!  Needless to say, i  am getting a tad perturbed.. :-\

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!

It may be worth trying MC 10 to see if it works there. (available at the top of the forum)

If not, we'll dig some more.

Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

bebop

Thanks, I'll try again.  I got this program because I was tired of  switching from Creative Media Source (which  came with my nomad zen, but doesn't burn) and Musicmatch or Nero to burn - depending on what I was burning.  So I remain hopeful that this is a program that can do it all! :-\

bebop

Thanks for the info. :)..ver. 10 at least told me what the problem with the burn was...a cue sheet error, so I could try to correct the error.  This is good.  As it  turns out, some of the files were encoded lower than 128,  with MP3Pro, so converted and re-tried and had a successful burn.  If I have to change all my MP3Pro files, this is going to be a huge job...I have a rather extensive library (over 12,000 files)...  It seemed a tad slow to what i am used to, but I guess you have to give a little to get a more stuff.  Also, just bought the other one, so do I have to purchase all over again?   this could be a more expensive venture that I thought!

JohnT

MC should be automatically re-sampling those mp3 files for you. Maybe you could email one of them so I can see what's going wrong.

Thanks,
John T.
JRiver, Inc.
johnt @ jriver.com
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

shAf

MC should be automatically re-sampling those mp3 files for you. ...

This seems similar to my problem described in a prior thread:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=17987

However, note that my problem had to do with the Ogg format ... and mysteriously was remedied if I disabled decode direct to CD ... which I did not consider a remedy because MC9.1(316) began this problem out of the blue, having worked without incident the day before ...
cheerios from the Avalon Peninsula, Newfoundland

bebop

So, I tried turning off the  direct to disc option ( as per your suggestion) and the  .316 ver. worked, but was so  very slow!  I guess I have been spoiled by having a Nero burning plug in....I want the burning to be great, problem free and fast! I have great hopes for the next version to fix all the problems  and will keep hanging in there. Ever thought of incorporating a nero burning plug in  or have any info how i could do this?  I am not a techie... just a music junkie!  Thanks again for all the help!! :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up