INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rebuilding Thumbnail database is very slow…  (Read 2934 times)

DocLotus

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Retired and; Loving It!!!
Rebuilding Thumbnail database is very slow…
« on: February 18, 2004, 09:01:29 am »

I have a lot of images (around 200,000)… both Still (jpeg) & video (various formats).

What I have noticed is that MC is very slow to load the thumbnails for images & even slower to load thumbnails for video files.

There seems to be no permanent database that once created can be quickly reloaded such as the way ACDSee & other image programs do.

Am I doing something wrong (a switch that needs to be thrown maybe) ?

If not, then is there any possibility of adding an image database to MC to resolve this slowness problem ?
MC... Latest version, 1 Mini PC, w/ Server.
TV... USA, ZIP 77036, Std view, Full screen, Not detached, Silicon Dust Guide, OTA, ATSC 1.
MC Audio... Realtek HD 7.1, MP3 Ext, Basic playback.
MC Control... Key, Mouse w/ G HUB.
Windows... 10 Pro, 64 bit, All MS updates.
Hardware... Beelink AMD GR5 Pro Mini PC, 16GB memory, 3 internal HDD's w/ 4.5 TB storage, 8 TB external storage.
1 SiliconDust HD HomeRun Connect Quatro, 1 SiliconDust HDHomeRun Flex Quatro, Amped Antenna w/ splitter.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
Re:Rebuilding Thumbnail database is very slow…
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2004, 09:03:44 am »

Thumbnails are only created once.

Make sure you aren't deleting them on exit. (Options > Tree & View > Thumbnails)

Also, files that aren't imported will have their thumbs purged on close.  Import the files to keep the thumbs around.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2004, 09:07:22 am »

Are you uninstalling each time?

Thumbnails are cached.  If you open up your library to Images and let it sit, it should do them all.  Next time, it should be faster.

However, there could be a Windows issue if you've got 200,000 files (even thumbnails) in one folder.

DocLotus

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2004, 09:27:24 am »

Hi guys;

The images are in many, many folders.

They open up very fast in ACDSee (almost instantly) after the first database build.

I have the (Options > Tree & View > Thumbnails) set to "Leave" (was on "Erase Orphans" but changing to Leave did not help much if at all.

I have closed MC down & reloaded it but the change did not really help.

Have not yet done a Win XP reboot yet; do you think that may help ?

Not sure what you mean by "Import the files to keep the thumbs around".  Are we talking about importing similar to music files?  If so, that is not an option as I am reading images from the hard drive that are in various locations.  In other words, Drives & Devices/My Computer/Drive C:\*.*

I need to read images quickly from various locations on the hard drive without the extra steps of having to import each new image.

ACDSee does a very good job of this.  It reads the new images once then they read next time almost instantly.  Would like it very much if MC would do the same.
TV... USA, ZIP 77036, Std view, Full screen, Not detached, Silicon Dust Guide, OTA, ATSC 1.
Hardware... Beelink AMD GR5 Pro Mini PC, 16GB memory, 3 internal HDD's w/ 4.5 TB storage, 8 TB external storage.
1 SiliconDust HD HomeRun Connect Quatro, 1 SiliconDust HDHomeRun Flex Quatro, Amped Antenna w/ splitter.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2004, 09:31:33 am »

Not sure what you mean by "Import the files to keep the thumbs around".  Are we talking about importing similar to music files?  If so, that is not an option as I am reading images from the hard drive that are in various locations.  In other words, Drives & Devices/My Computer/Drive C:\*.*
That's the problem.  Import the images, just as you would music.  Use the advanced option to set the file types you want and then use the browse button (little one with dots) to find the root directory where images are stored and let it import them all.

Then open images in MC and give it time to build them all.

DocLotus

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2004, 09:40:53 am »

Thanks Jim, That works fine ;D

One problem though... I am adding images every day.  Having to manually import them every day is a pain.  Is there any way to set up an "Automatic Import" for a certain folder ?  That would be wonderful & would resolve the problem for me.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2004, 09:43:08 am »

In Explorer, right click on the files and do Media Center/Import.  That will put them in "Recently Imported" where you can tag them.

There is no automatic way.

DocLotus

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2004, 09:49:23 am »

WOW ;D

Much better ::)

Never noticed the Explorer Media Center Import command before.  It also works with my regular file manager Power Desk 5.

I assume it will also work with my music files ?

This is much faster then having to go through MC's import (for me anyway).

Thanks for all you great help ;D ;D

DocLotus

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2004, 12:35:33 pm »

One more thought...

Can this command be added to ACDSee...

"In Explorer (ACDSee), right click on the files and do Media Center/Import.  That will put them in "Recently Imported" where you can tag them."

Having the Media Center/Import command in ACDSee would be wonderful.  It would save me the extra step of opening a file manager (Explorer) to import.  I use ACDSee for the initial look-see of new images & videos then go to MC for viewing the videos in sequence & in more detail.

What do you think ?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2004, 12:42:47 pm »

We can't add features to ACDSee.

However, you really shouldn't need ACDSee if you have MC.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

DocLotus

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2004, 02:23:12 pm »

Well...

Somehow you added the..."In Explorer, right click on the files and do Media Center/Import.  That will put them in "Recently Imported" where you can tag them."

As I memtioned earlier, this was also added to PowerDesk 5.0 file manager as well as Explorer so why not ACDSee too ?

Something during the MC install is adding the "right click in Explorer (and PowerDesk) on the files and do Media Center/Import." command.

ACDSee is my main imaging management program & will continue to be so as it has so many imaging features that MC simply can't do (as yet).

I do however, find MC to actually be better (then ACDSee) at viewing sequencial videos.  I think that is because MC is set up play music sequencially so it also does a great job with viewing video's sequencially.  ACDSee will only do one video at a time.

Usually when I am viewing a large assortment of images there will be both still jpeg's & videos in the mix.  ACDSee suites me better for this as I often have to do some editing on the images with Photoshop which I can do through ACDSee.

I also have to do custom printing of some images which again I can do very well through ACDSee but not so well through MC.

Sooo... as you can see ACDSee will remain my primary imaging management program along with Photoshop but it would be very nice to be able to right click (in ACDSee) like I can in Explorer & PowerDesk 5 to import videos to MC.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2004, 02:28:03 pm »

The change you're asking for has to be done by ACDSee.  Powerdesk apparently is able to read the Explorer extensions, a clever thing to do.

DocLotus

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2004, 04:08:02 pm »

Oh well...  :'(

At least you have helped me to resolve the main problem of slow thumbnail reading.

I can now quickly view my videos without the large delay I was getting.

Thanks again  ;D

dragyn

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2004, 08:39:52 pm »

How about automatically creating all thumbs like the old days but maybe like via a menu.

I just assume to have MC run all night and create them all instead of sitting here waiting all day.

DocLotus

« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2004, 06:42:27 am »

Yeh Dragyn;

That too would be very nice.

ACDSee does that with their "Database Maintenance" command which not only re-creates all the thumbnails but also clears out all orphined thumbs thereby creating all thumbs & reducing memory usage.

Maybe MC needs a database maintenance command also ?
Pages: [1]   Go Up