INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Album Analyzer mix album false positives  (Read 1225 times)

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Album Analyzer mix album false positives
« on: February 17, 2004, 06:54:38 pm »

4. Changed: Tuned album analyzer so that instead of having to be a complete album to be a mix, files will just have to be the only album in the directory.

Is there a way that I can disable this feature completely?  I never want MC to decide that my albums are mixes, as I always figure out what artist recorded the song and label it that way.  Unfortunately, it seems that the album analyzer sometimes decides that my album is a mix when it is not, which is irritating when I am burning MP3 CDs.

If there is no way to disable it, how do I override what it decides?  I have been searching for this on-and-off for a few months and haven't found an easy way yet.

Thanks again for all the great work!

Please start a thread and describe a scenario where it's wrong.  We don't think it should give false positives anymore.

I don't know that I would call it a false positive, but for an example ...

I have radiohead's new album "Hail to the Thief" burned onto an MP3 CD I made with MC.  Unfortunately, that album got filed under "Assorted" in the CD folder structure because one of the songs had "Radiohead" instead of "radiohead" in the artist name field (which happens more than I would like to admit).  Since the MC view system is smart enough to group them all together, I honestly don't notice the capitalization.  Unfortunately, just de-capitalizing the regular "Artist" field doesn't seem to update the Album-Artist field (or at least it didn't when I was fighting with MC to make that MP3 CD ... this could possibly be fixed now).  I had to manually go into the ArtistAlbum (Auto) field and fix it.

Either way ... I can appreciate why some people would like this feature, but I just don't organize my music that way.  I never look at a list of all my music sorted by album, it is always Artist/Album or Genre/Artist/Album.  For Mix CD's I want to see the song filed in with the artist that recorded it, not mixed up all together.  But when I burn an MP3 CD with two songs off of the same mix CD (Pearl Jam's songs from the Singles soundtrack for example) I want them filed under Pearl Jam not Assorted, even though the CD is a mix.

Fixing the capitalization manually is possible, but annoying.  I'm not even sure fixing the other issue is possible.  I would rather just have the option to never see "Assorted".  I suppose this is because I also don't use CD's at all anymore (except MP3 CDs that is), and haven't for about 4 years, so I am used to it that way now.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

glynor

• MC Beta Team
Re:Album Analyzer mix album false positives
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2004, 07:05:36 pm »

I'm not even sure fixing the other issue is possible.

I forgot to mention, the new change to the Album Analyzer would solve this problem in many cases, but ... I also often let files sit in my /Music/New directory longer than I would like to admit.   :P

It was a good compromize (especially looking at the thread on this from the last release), but I would rather just be able to turn it off.  Or at least, have the option to not have it affect CD Burning (which is my only major issue with it).  I do typically keep my files organized quite nicely, but I only go through it every month or so ...

Also, why does it need to be case sensitive (this baffles me)?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2004, 08:03:07 pm »

We'll make sure it isn't case-sensitive in the next build.

Thanks glynor.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2004, 08:36:35 pm »

Thank you!

That fixes 99% of my irritation with the feature.  I will now just have to actually move my files out of the New directory a little more regularly (or at least before I burn CDs), which is no huge deal.

I just have to say ... What other non-opensource developer responds to their customers the way J River does?  (And even most of the OS ones).  If there was a OSX or Linux version of this program I would truely be in heaven ... I know, I know, don't get my hopes up.   ;D

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2004, 08:38:20 pm »

Thanks.  We think about Linux all the time....

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
  • Getting older every day
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2004, 09:07:15 am »

Thanks.  We think about Linux all the time....

:D

I wonder if that means "think about how to implement in Linux" all the time, or, "think about how it's gonna be too hard to do this for Linux" all the time.

I, for one, would LOVE a Linux implementation.  But, I'm also not holding my breath (but I do have my fingers crossed) ;)
pretend this is something funny
Pages: [1]   Go Up