INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Audible files suddenly won't play over Media Server.  (Read 1104 times)

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Audible files suddenly won't play over Media Server.
« on: February 21, 2004, 06:31:15 am »

My audible files are suddenely no longer playing when accessed using Media Server.  At first I thought this was due to the fact that I just had to have my Audible permissions reset.  I re-activated my systems, but my audible files were no longer playing via MC on the system that utilized Media Server.  I CAN play audible files with MC if I don't use Media Server, but with Media server it just says "contacting" underneath the title of the file in the progress bar and nothing happens.

Everything worked fine up to recently, which could mean the audible reset is causing a problem, or the new version of MC is causing it.  At first I assumed it was Audible, but now I belive it's an MC issue since EVERYTHING else about the audible files works normally.  I can play them with real player, Media Player, and Media center -- I can play them from the local driver OR from a network drive on the other system.  The only thing I CAN'T do is play them via Media Server.  If anybody else can check this for me I'd appreciate it.  It's just when I access them via Media Server (which is how I've always played them) that they don't play anymore.

Unfortunately, since I haven't listenned to Audible files on this system in a little while, I have no way of knowing when this problem popped up -- this could have happened with one of the recent builds, but I just didn't happen to notice it until now.

My systems are definitely "activated" for playing Audible files (as I said, I CAN play the files if I don't use Media Server.)  I tried uninstalling/reinstalling MC (.75) but it didn't help.  Thanks for any help getting this working again.

Larry

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
Audible files suddenly won't play over Media Server.
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2004, 06:45:19 am »

I checked the obvious things like firewalls.  Everything is set up the same way it's always been, but I still tried disabling the firewall and it made no difference.

I also tried a test where I switched which system was running Media Server and which was accessing file from the other system.  The audible files wouldn't play via Media Server in either direction.  It is appearing that this may be a Media Server issue.

Given all the recent iPod/Audible issues that were addressed in recent builds, I'm wondering if a change was made that could explain the behavior I'm seeing.  Were any changes made to the way Audible files are handled in Media Server?

Thanks again for any help with this,

Larry

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
Re:Audible files suddenly won't play over Media Server.
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2004, 04:38:50 pm »

Does ANYBODY else here use Media Server to listen to Audible files?  I've been banging my head against the wall trying to get this to work, so it would really help if I knew whether or not this was actually just a problem with the recent MC build/s -- i.e. I could stop working so hard to get it to work if I knew that it was an MC problem.

Larry

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2004, 04:48:14 pm »

I don't think you can stream Audible files from MC.  Can you convert them?

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2004, 05:21:18 pm »

I don't think you can stream Audible files from MC.  Can you convert them?

I was able to do this before.  I can't say at what build this functionality stopped, but I can say with ABSOLUTE CERTAINTY that it worked with 9.1 -- I did it all the time.  I've always kept my entire audio library on my first system and accessed them from my second system with Media Server.  Is there any chance of getting this functionality back -- it's actually really important to me.

I can't convert the files because these audible files don't allow conversion.  That aside, I wouldn't want to go through all the extra work anyway when this isn't actually necessary -- i.e. it worked perfectly fine before.

Thanks again,

Larry
Pages: [1]   Go Up