INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Girder Basics  (Read 1082 times)

britown

• Please be patient, I'm learning...
Girder Basics
« on: March 02, 2004, 05:40:48 pm »

I'm becoming more comfortable with Girder but would appreciate some clarification relative to command line configuration. I've reviewed a few gml files and done searches on this and the Girder forum but still need help. I also viewed the command line and MCC file in the DevZone but things still aren't clear. Based upon these resources I'm assuming that a plug-in is not required in order for Girder to interface with MC 10. Here are my questions:

1) When would one use mjextman.exe in the file field (OS tab) as opposed to the full file path (C:\WINDOWS\system32\mjextman.exe)? I've also noticed another exe file in the Media Center directory. When would that be used, if ever?

2) What are the advantages of using the command line format over the Windows Messages approach? Is the same command/parameter format used in both cases?

3) In the DevZone document I see references to MCCs such as MCC_PLAY_PAUSE but the Girder gml file in MC 10 uses /MCC 10000, 0 in the Step Size field. Which is correct?

4) I would like to program my MX-500 to emulate keyboard strokes such as up, down, enter, etc. and I know you can do that in the Girder Keyboard tab. Do I need any input data in the OS tab in order to navigate the menu in Theater Mode? I noticed that the MCC list included a keyboard section (MCC_KEYSTROKE, 27000) and have wondered if that needs to be incorportated in the command. In other words, how does Girder know how to interface with MC Theater Mode unless there is some reference to the executable in the OS tab or elsewhere?

Basically I'm looking for an overview of how the executable should be configured, in order to be controlled by Girder, and how the parameters should be incorporated into that process. It's probably clear to you guys but I can't seem to find this information in one place. I've picked up pieces here and there but need someone to help me pull it all together. Hopefully others will benefit from the answers to my questions. Thanks for your patience!

bspachman

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re:Girder Basics
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2004, 06:52:16 pm »

1) When would one use mjextman.exe in the file field (OS tab) as opposed to the full file path (C:\WINDOWS\system32\mjextman.exe)? I've also noticed another exe file in the Media Center directory. When would that be used, if ever?

I don't know. :) I generally use the short form, but I've read of cases where the Windows executable path gets messed up, so Girder can't find the mjextman file. Also, if JRiver decides to change the location of that file, using the long form will neccessitate a lot of changes to GMLs.

2) What are the advantages of using the command line format over the Windows Messages approach? Is the same command/parameter format used in both cases?

The same command/parameter is used. Some people like helper programs, others don't. It's a matter of personal preference. Again, using Windows Messages may minimize the number of changes needed should something change with the helper program.

3) In the DevZone document I see references to MCCs such as MCC_PLAY_PAUSE but the Girder gml file in MC 10 uses /MCC 10000, 0 in the Step Size field. Which is correct?

The DevZone document references the full names of the commands. The actual parameters that get passed are all numeric. It's just we poor humans that need names to go with those numbers.

4) I would like to program my MX-500 to emulate keyboard strokes such as up, down, enter, etc. and I know you can do that in the Girder Keyboard tab. Do I need any input data in the OS tab in order to navigate the menu in Theater Mode? I noticed that the MCC list included a keyboard section (MCC_KEYSTROKE, 27000) and have wondered if that needs to be incorportated in the command. In other words, how does Girder know how to interface with MC Theater Mode unless there is some reference to the executable in the OS tab or elsewhere?

Make sure you check out the Girder website's "Getting Started" document. You'll find that the various tabe that you are referring to are called "Action Tabs". They are all mutually exclusive--meaning if you assign a Keyboard action to a Girder command, you cannot assign an OS action to the same Girder command.

What you are interested in is the "Targeting" dialog box that exists in several of the action tabs. This dialog box allows you to specify which application on your machine will receive the Girder command triggered by your eventstring.

I'm going by memory here, so be gentle! For example, Create a command in Girder & name it "Up". Then, choose the keyboard action tab and select the "Up" action from the special key drop down menu. Make sure you click the "Apply" button to save the action. Finally, choose the target button to specify which application you want to send it to. It will help if MC is already running. Since you are interested in working in Theater Mode, you can check the box that says, send to "Foreground App". That means the Girder command you named "Up" will be sent to whatever app you have frontmost at the time.

Finally, you'll need to assign the eventstring to the command you created. In the Main Girder window, click the "Learn" button, then press the button on your remote you want to trigger the Girder command. If you have your IR receiver setup correctly, Girder will learn a coded form of your IR signal.

Basically I'm looking for an overview of how the executable should be configured, in order to be controlled by Girder, and how the parameters should be incorporated into that process. It's probably clear to you guys but I can't seem to find this information in one place. I've picked up pieces here and there but need someone to help me pull it all together. Hopefully others will benefit from the answers to my questions. Thanks for your patience!

Let us know if you need more help!

Best,
Brad

britown

• Please be patient, I'm learning...
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2004, 09:28:17 pm »

Hi Brad,

That was just what I needed! The first time I created the keyboard commands I neglected to check the foreground box; made all the difference in the world! So you're saying that using /Play and /MCC 10000, 0 in the Step Size field will get the same results? OK, I think I'm getting it!

Thanks to you and JLee for clearing things up!

Brian

bspachman

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2004, 10:38:18 pm »

That was just what I needed! The first time I created the keyboard commands I neglected to check the foreground box; made all the difference in the world! So you're saying that using /Play and /MCC 10000, 0 in the Step Size field will get the same results? OK, I think I'm getting it!

Glad to hear you're making progress.

Yes. "/Play" and "/MCC 10000,0" will do the same thing. However, you'll see in the included GML that all the commands are MCC commands -- just to keep the style consistent. Plus, there are lots more MCC commands than there are "word-based" command line parameters. Again, to be clear, if you are using the commands found here you will have to use the numeric commands.

The commands found here are the "old-style" command-line parameters that were introduced for MJ8. They still work, but there is a much finer grain of control available with the MCC commands.

Best,
Brad
Pages: [1]   Go Up