INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Exporting Library to Excel?  (Read 2791 times)

packyb

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
Exporting Library to Excel?
« on: March 10, 2004, 10:38:37 am »

I am trying to export my library (really just artist/albums) to excel and am having some difficulty. I see the option File>Library>Export to XML..., but am stuck as to how to import that to an excel chart.

jleerigby

Re:Exporting Library to Excel?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2004, 12:03:41 pm »

You can actuall just copy (Ctrl + C) and Paste (Ctrl + v) from the library list in MC directly into excel.  Make sure that you use a view that only shows the columns you need (Artist & Album).  Then select all files in view and copy and paste into excel.  If you try to copy too much all in 1 go you could crash MC but keeping to artist / album columns should prevent this from happening.

Just to be on the safe side close MC first (thereby forcing it to save any changes you've applied).  I managed to copy about 20K files in one go when I reduced the column in view.

LonWar

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2004, 01:37:59 pm »

Depending on the version of Excel (Ctrl V) may not work. I got a Cannot paste data error.

If you get this, Select (in excel) Edit, Paste Special
When you get a pop up box, select  Text
-

packyb

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2004, 01:56:40 pm »

thanks. this helps, but i have one more question:

after i hide all columns except artist/album, it still will list the artist/album for each song on that album. in other words, the Beastie Boys' "Check Your Head" album still takes up 20 rows in excel - as there are 20 songs on that album. is there a way around this? i am trying to get it so that there is just one row of the Beastie Boys "Check Your Head." is it possible to fix this in excel?

udeups

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2004, 02:04:44 pm »

You can get around this by adding a search term in the search field above for [track #]=1. This will then show only one song per album.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2004, 02:10:35 pm »

You may want to use the Action Window > File Properties > Statistics pages if you just want summaries.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

packyb

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2004, 03:49:39 pm »

Posted by: Matt  Posted on: Today at 02:10:35pm  
You may want to use the Action Window > File Properties > Statistics pages if you just want summaries.  

That works really well, and I see that there is a way to print that list, but is there a way to export it?

graham131

• Galactic Citizen
  • Yadb (get it?) dabba do.....
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2004, 04:20:10 pm »

Posted by: Matt  Posted on: Today at 02:10:35pm  

That works really well, and I see that there is a way to print that list, but is there a way to export it?

I agree, if you could export that it would be fantastic.

Matt / All - My Library has in excess of 80,000 Audio tracks, Excel can only support 65,xxx lines, therefore I cannot export to Excel in total.

packyb - If your library is less then 65,xxx tracks then create a playlist or view, export (or copy / paste) it to Excel then Fileter it by unique records.

This is how i used to do it until my library outgrew Excel's limitations.

I am currently experimenting with Unix to see if i can do it that way.

However the easist way would definetly be if J River could add the export function to the statistics page (, html, or "delimited" or both) aswell as the print option.

Thanks

Graham

LonWar

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2004, 04:26:41 pm »

If you have access you could just drop it in there and set it for no duplicates and all would be well.

-

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2004, 04:32:46 pm »

Select half your files at a time.  You can export what you select.

graham131

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2004, 04:42:26 pm »

Select half your files at a time.  You can export what you select.

Sort of defeats the object Jim as i end up with 2 excel files, as Excel when filtered still remembers total rows.

Graham

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2004, 04:44:55 pm »

MC 10.0.89 will have the "Copy to Clipboard" command in the statistics menu.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

graham131

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2004, 04:45:50 pm »

MC 10.0.89 will have the "Copy to Clipboard" command in the statistics menu.

Wow fast work Matt (as usual), Thankyou

Graham

NoCodeUK

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2004, 03:42:26 am »

Another option in Excel is to use the Filter command.  If you select Advanced Filter you can tell Excel to only show unique records thus removing the "extra" entries.  Not that you need this now Matt has implemented Copy to the Clipboard to the summaries but  hey it may be useful in the future :)

Adam
"It's called No Code because it's full of code. It's misinformation." - Eddie Vedder

berrick

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2004, 02:03:44 pm »

I also wanted to be able to generate a list of music in this way.......

I have currently given up on excel and went with access as it gave me the control i required easily..... For those that are interested below is a fairly long but blow by blow account of what i did to get a list of artists followed underneath and offset by a list of thier albums. Fonts headings and spacing are adjustable....

In MC delete columns you dont want (in my case kept just artist and album name)

export playlist as delimited txt (i tried xml but access didnt seem to like it, but xml from other sources works as well)

open access and start new db

next click file - get external data - import and select file you just created in MC

select delimited option from import txt wizard - next

select other and enter pipe symbol (shift and backslash) - next

select 'in new table' - next

if like me you have a blank field at begining select do not import (skip) - next

select no primary key - next

in field under import to table enter a name for table - finish

In access you should have a new table with the name you just entered in last step

click queries - click create query in design view

in 'show table' that is now displayed highlight your file and click add then close this window

in the select query window there should be a small window with your file name as header. doulbe click all enteries accept *. If just artist and album fields in exported playlist there will be 2 enteries plus *

right click somewhere in the 'select query' window and select properties from menue that appears

click on 'unique values' option in the 'query properties' window now displayed and change option thatappears next to it to 'yes'

close this window - close select query say yes to save changes and give quer a name

clcik reports - click create report using wizard

under 'table/queries' in report wizard make sure the query name you just saved is listed

select the fields listed in the available fields box - next

at next window add fields under 'do you want to add groupings' - next - next - next - next - finished

You should now (if all gone right) have a nice list in the format discussed..  ;D

steje

• Recent member
  • I'm a llama!
Re: Exporting Library to Excel?
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2005, 04:02:20 pm »

I found this thread in a search to find out if I could just dump my artist\album list out to a text file, and so the enhancement that Matt made to copy this info from the statictics to the clipboard suits my purposes just fine - thanks.

I see that the Statistics window automatically shows the number of files for each album and that you have to collapse the separator for that 'Files' column in order to weed that out of your copied text. You also have to manually expand the artist\album column in order to capture the full names to the clipboard in the case of very long artist\album strings... these factoids leave me with a few quick questions:

1.) I haven't seen any remarks about any tweaking to this sort of 'exporting' for v11... anyone know if this sort of trimmed output has been added to the regular File->Library menu options along with the products existing 'export' utility?

2.) In the case of very long album\artist strings, I have just noticed that MC defaults to showing tag data from the ID3v1 tag. Is there a general setting to make MC show ID3v2 tag data in all of it's views... i.e Library, Playing Now, Statistics, etc?

...thanks

Tor

• Recent member
Re: Exporting Library to Excel?
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2005, 12:21:18 pm »

Packyb; For an easy list of just artist/album i use a smartlist with a limiter:
~limit=-1,1,[Album]
This returns a list with one track only for each album which is easely copied to excel for further editing.

-Tor-
Pages: [1]   Go Up