INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Audio analysis and MP3Gain  (Read 2320 times)

Nolonemo

• Galactic Citizen
  • I'm still a malla!
Audio analysis and MP3Gain
« on: March 08, 2004, 07:45:21 pm »

I've run audio analysis on all my files now (several sessions of letting the PC run overnight!).  Will hardware players (ie. Creative Zen) recognize and use the info in it or do I have to run the files through something like MP3Gain (which apparently works with the Zen), and if I do that, what will it do to the audio analysis information?

Thanks

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re:Audio analysis and MP3Gain
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2004, 07:48:32 pm »

MC saves the Replay gain in a ID3v2 field
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

rocketsauce

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2004, 12:24:29 am »

No, the Zen will not use MC's Replay Gain info, which is saved in the tag and then applied on playback.

The reason that MP3Gain works with the Zen is that it alters the actual file.

Rob

Nolonemo

• Galactic Citizen
  • I'm still a malla!
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2004, 10:46:19 am »

Thanks, King and Rocket.  If I process all my mp3s with mp3s with mp3gain, I'll have to do audio analysis on them all over again, for the replay gain info MC wrote to the tags to be right, correct?  But on the other hand, it seems as if the gain would be equalized so that I wouldn't have to use MC's DSP to read the MC replay gain data anyway?

urlwolf

• World Citizen
  • building gomotron!
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2004, 11:38:56 am »

The Rio Karma will support them in the next firmware release.

Cheers,
-urlWolf

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
  • Getting older every day
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2004, 12:24:10 pm »

Any idea about iPod support?
pretend this is something funny

jgourd

• Galactic Citizen
  • Geurilla Recording At Its Best
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2004, 12:56:38 pm »

Apple has no financial incentive to add ReplayGain support to the iPods.

rocketsauce

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2004, 04:16:03 pm »

Thanks, King and Rocket.  If I process all my mp3s with mp3s with mp3gain, I'll have to do audio analysis on them all over again, for the replay gain info MC wrote to the tags to be right, correct?  But on the other hand, it seems as if the gain would be equalized so that I wouldn't have to use MC's DSP to read the MC replay gain data anyway?

MC's analysis uses 83dB as the target gain (per the original Replay Gain developer's specs) and MP3Gain defaults to 89dB. If you MP3Gain your files, it's not necessary to have Replay Gain enabled in MC.

Also, MP3Gain gives you an option of both track and album analysis. MC only does track analysis.

Also, MP3Gain has an option to undo the changes, but the undo info is saved in an APEv2 tag (instead of ID3 tag) which is non-standard for mp3s. It's possible (or likely) that some players will choke when they encounter mp3s with APEv2 tags on them.

If you decide to use MP3Gain with undo disabled, practice on some copies of your files first. I recall when I first joined this board, there were a few posts by people who had ruined thousands of files by applying incorrect gain settings.

Rob

xen-uno

• Checking your hard disk for errors...
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2004, 04:56:44 pm »

Unless the situation has changed...

MC Replay Gain tags <> MP3Gain / VorbisGain tags

...so MC RG tags can only be read by MJ/MC (which conversely, cannot read RG tag data by MP3G / VG). The calculation method is similar, and so might the values (other than the reference level as noted by 'sauce). The only thing that might differ is the tag names...but that's enough to break RG. If using data based RG via MP3Gain...then no sweat on any software/hardware player.

10-27

Nolonemo

• Galactic Citizen
  • I'm still a malla!
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2004, 11:27:07 am »

Thanks everyone.  Since I already have done the audio analysis on MC, I think I will leave well enough alone.  I can always use "smart volume" on the Zen when I'm away from the PC.

urlwolf

• World Citizen
  • building gomotron!
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2004, 01:21:32 pm »

Unless the situation has changed...

MC Replay Gain tags <> MP3Gain / VorbisGain tags

...so MC RG tags can only be read by MJ/MC (which conversely, cannot read RG tag data by MP3G / VG). The calculation method is similar, and so might the values (other than the reference level as noted by 'sauce). The only thing that might differ is the tag names...but that's enough to break RG. If using data based RG via MP3Gain...then no sweat on any software/hardware player.

10-27

That's really horrible. I have spent many hours running the MC audio analysis with the hope of getting it to work in my portable player... which probably won't know what to do with the MC tags. Is there any way of converting the MC tags to more standard RG tags? More importantly, why did the MC guys considered that they needed a new set of tags instead of using the existing ones??

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2004, 01:24:58 pm »

There is a "joke" in the computer business.  "The nice thing about standards is that there are so many to chose from."

Meaning that what one company thinks is standard may not be what another thinks.  Java, for example.  Browsers, for another.

When there is a clear and undisputable standard, we will support it.

urlwolf

• World Citizen
  • building gomotron!
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2004, 01:49:28 pm »

Well, good to know. I wish most manufacturers used a single standard (MC one :) ), because I already have everything tagged in that one.

Thanks for the clarification...

xen-uno

• Checking your hard disk for errors...
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2004, 05:12:42 pm »

It is possible that one of the super stand alone taggers may be able to add a MP3Gain/VorbisGain tag and also read the MC specific...then you could cut & paste. Do a google on "tagger" or "mp3 tagging". Hydrogen Audio is a good place to look, also.

10-27
Pages: [1]   Go Up