INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Playing Protected WMA's on TiVo HMO  (Read 4969 times)

twalls

• Recent member
  • I'm a llama!
Playing Protected WMA's on TiVo HMO
« on: November 06, 2003, 10:01:12 am »

I have a bunch of music that I have bought on Napster and MusicMatch Downloads. They both use the protected WMA file-format. I was interested in Media Center because it said that it could stream WMA to my TiVo using the HMO. I am able to stream MP3's without a problem using the TiVo desktop and MC9.1. I tried streaming a few songs that were protected and they didn't play. In fact, my TiVo would reboot each time I tried it. I tried changing some options (sorted TiVo style, changed converted bit rate, etc.) and to my surprise, every protected song played. However, it seemed to put a considerable load on my network so I lowered the converted bit rate to 128. This worked perfectly. I decided to shell out the $40 for MC and after getting the key entered and restarting, my songs refused to play again. I've tried everything and I can't get the darn thing to work! I can understand if MC wasn't meant to stream protected music to the TiVo but it is frustrating to hear that because it was doing it just fine minutes before... Any suggestions?

John Gateley

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Nice haircut
Re:Playing Protected WMA's on TiVo HMO
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2003, 10:26:53 am »

The way you got it to work before was converting the songs to MP3 format before sending them to the TiVo. Make sure this option is enabled...

j

twalls

• Recent member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2003, 12:44:40 pm »

That option is still enabled. In fact, it will actually act like it can play it instead of saying that "there are no playable files in this folder" and then the TiVo reboots after failing to play... I'm worried that all of this random restarting could be bad for the TiVo's filesystem... It is really weird because when it works, I see light traffic (about 150-300 kbps), and when it doesn't work, I see heavy traffic (about 2 mbps) in the media server window. Other than the tcp_write error when my TiVo reboots, I don't see anything odd in the status. Just to give you guys some more details, I am using the third option for TiVo HMO (port 8079 with beacon on port 2190). I've tried each bit rate for the conversion. I see the following in the status after the server starts:

11/06/03 13:33:04 - sharer starting
11/06/03 13:33:04 - Initializing server.
11/06/03 13:33:04 - Server initialized
11/06/03 13:33:04 - sharer ready to accept connections
11/06/03 13:33:04 - Started auto response thread on port 5556.
11/06/03 13:33:04 - TiVo HTTP ready for connections

If I try to play a song:

11/06/03 13:38:09 - TiVo HTTP: received a connection
11/06/03 13:38:09 - TiVo HTTP: ready for another connection
11/06/03 13:38:13 - TiVo streaming <path to song>\<song name>.wma
11/06/03 13:38:14 - TiVo HTTP: received a connection
11/06/03 13:38:14 - TiVo HTTP: ready for another connection
11/06/03 13:38:14 - connection closed with no data
11/06/03 13:38:14 - TiVo HTTP: Invalid http request

***TiVo reboots***

11/06/03 13:38:14 - tcp_write failed error=10053

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2003, 03:04:02 pm »

Is the crashing consistent? I mean: if a wma files plays on the TiVo it ALWAYS plays on the TiVo, and if it crashes then it ALWAYS crashes?

j

twalls

• Recent member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2003, 04:17:49 pm »

Songs that didn't play, later played, and now won't play again. I listened to several tracks from several albums, and decided to purchase MC. Somehow, the ability to play protected WMA is now broken. I was curious to see if just conversion in general still worked (figured maybe LAME flaked out), so I tried playing the sample WMA's that come with Windows XP and they played just fine. I tried playing a protected WMA again... still no luck. MP3's also continue to play fine. I should also note that I have tried music from each service, and at each bit rate, to no avail. Thanks, John, for actually responding. :)

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2003, 04:25:31 pm »

So this is an all-or-nothing situation:

It worked before.

Now it doesn't work for ANY protected wma...

j

twalls

• Recent member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2003, 04:27:28 pm »

Correct.

apower

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2003, 04:21:57 am »

i had the same issue for about a quarter of my collection i had ripped with Windows Media Player... just found MoodLogic for TiVo a few days ago and it takes care of WMA automatically (http://www.moodlogic.com/tivo.html)

it rocks all the way so may want to give it a shot... hope that helps,

apower

quepol

Can't "stream" OGG files as MP3 -- TiVo crashes
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2004, 10:47:13 am »

Thought I'd give this a bump... However, my problem is not with protected WMAs, but rather with OGG files.

Media Server settings:
- Support TiVo HMO on port 8079 (with beacon on port 2190)
- Support all audio formats
-LAME converted installed

TiVo will play a couple minutes of the OGG file, though it skips some and plays others, and then TiVo restarts and Media Server gives me the same tcp_write failed error .

Any progress on this?  Have I missed the solution in a another thread?  Any suggestions welcome!

Thanks.
Pages: [1]   Go Up