INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Does MC need different fields/choices for the different media types?

No, it works great for me.
- 3 (18.8%)
Maybe, how hard would it be?
- 2 (12.5%)
Yes, I don't need 'track #' for images or video.
- 11 (68.8%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Audio/Video/Image need different field labels/info  (Read 2162 times)

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Getting older every day
Audio/Video/Image need different field labels/info
« on: March 16, 2004, 01:18:38 pm »

I still find it wierd/annoying that I have to have all of my music database info included in my Image/Video tagging choices.  For example...I have 'Formula 1' as a genre in my Pictures (for my race day pics), but it also shows up in the genre list for my music and video.  I also have 'Comedy' as a genre for some pictures, but it also shows up in my music choices.

Furthermore, I certainly don't need bitrate, track#, or intensity for my pics, nor do I need dimensions for my music choices.

It seems like there should be some way to have seperate tagging fields for the different media types.

Obviously, some fields apply to all media types, like Genre for example.  But the choices/list for Genre will almost certainly be quite different depending on what media you are tagging.

What do you think?

Remember, the 'to-do' list for 10.1 is being compiled right now :)
pretend this is something funny

pipsqueak

• "Actually, it's elementary, my dear Dawson!"
Re:Audio/Video/Image need different field labels/info
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2004, 04:34:11 pm »

justin

where's the to do list for 10.1 - if its a thread, ive some stuff id life to pose be added to it

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2004, 05:59:56 pm »

pip, I hear that Jim wears it hidden away in a secret stash around his neck.  If you can wrestle it away from him, let us know what's on it. ;D

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2004, 09:20:48 am »

59 views and 9 votes?  Now I know how politicians feel. :P

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2004, 09:58:10 am »

The auto-complete will only list values used by other files in the same view.

In the tag info window, use "Show Same Fields As Current View" and then configure your audio and image views however you want.

It's really pretty flexible already.

Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2004, 11:21:42 am »

In the tag info window, use "Show Same Fields As Current View" and then configure your audio and image views however you want.

Sorry to sound dense, but  ?

I see no such option anywhere.  I assume you mean the tag window that comes up via the Action Window (labeled "TAG INFO"). If I right-click on the header of this window I get 2 choices,  "Columns To Show" and "Library Tools".  If I navigate the "Columns To Show" I get 3 choices, "Show All Fields", "Show Read-Only Fields", and "Customize Current View".  Under "Customize Current View" I see no such option.

What am I missing?  It sounds like it will do what I want, I just don't know how.

Thanks Matt.

jleerigby

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2004, 12:19:09 pm »

Matt's referring to what it used to be called.  Look in the tag info window for the section called Visible Columns.  That's what Matt means.

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2004, 12:27:20 pm »

I don't see anything labeled "Visible Columns" either.

Sorry.  I've searched everything I can find relating to the TAG INFO window, but nothing even resembles "Show Same Fields As Current View" as far as I can see.

pipsqueak

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2004, 12:39:12 pm »

justin

the 'visible columns' section only appears when you show all fields (see below):

tag info > right click on upper section > columns to show > show read only fields (no idea why its called that) > show all fields

However, by clicking the other option (show read only fields) you get the same categories (but without the header 'visible columns')

tag info > right click on upper section > columns to show > show read only fields (no idea why its called that) > show read only fields

if you remove all check marks you just get those visible fields that you can manually edit (eg. not bitrate or file type etc.)

pipsqueak

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2004, 12:42:15 pm »

justin

as for your other questions, have you answered them all?

to ensure i dont get overlapping genres etc. i just created / used different fields for audio and images and video. i have genre/title/artist etc. for audio, but for images i use things like country/place/people/event etc. then for video its different again

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2004, 12:59:16 pm »

okay pipsqueak, I think I see what you're talking about.  If I check both options under "Columns to show", I get headers inside the window, one of which is labeled "Visible Columns".  This is pretty much the same as not checking either columns, since that only shows the visible columns also, without all the other headers.  But this still doesn' make Matt's comments any more clear.  He makes it sound like I will only see values for and given field, if those values are contained in that field for some other 'item' in the current view.  This does not appear to be the case.

For example, I have only images in a View Scheme, and I only have 9 Genre's for Images.  Only those genre's show in the Genre Pane above the file listing box, however, if I click the drop down box in the TAG INFO window, all Genre's are listed, for all of my files, Music, Video, and Images.  So the drop-down list shows 40 options instead of the 9 shown in the view pane.

I want to only have the Image options available whenever I am tagging Images, and Video options available when tagging Video's, same for Music.  Also, I don't need those music only fileds as an option when setting up Image views.  I realize I can just not choose those tag fields, and that will help, but Matt sounded like it would do what I want, but I think it might not.

Does that make any more sense?

Side Note:  When in tagging mode (thanks to Doof for a great explanation somewhere else in this forum), i cannot seem to limit the files I want to work with in tagging mode.  In other words, I can create a smartlist to give me the files that still need to be tagged, but I can't use the results in tagging mode, once I click on 'Images' in the tree, I can see the panes, to use for tagging, but I get 'all' images, not the ones I selected with the smartlist, and if I stay in the smartlist view, I cannot use tagging mode.

Is this possible, and I'm not seeing it either?

pipsqueak

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2004, 01:07:43 pm »

i understand at least sone of your problems - i admit i thought we were getting sidetracked with the tag info side menu.

genres - there's no internal way to fix it. So, you need to create new library fields. for example you could have:

audio genre, image genre, video genre

or

genre (eg. house, rock etc) (for audio), type (eg. series, film, music vid) (for video), location or event for images

or

some combination of your own.

it wont take you long to add a new 'genre-esque' library field and populate the field. then remove the original field (in this case genre) from the view scheme of images, then resave it.

re: your side question - not sure i understand. what about going into 'images' then in the tagging section first click 'unassigned' - which will select only those that have yet to be tagged, then work with those...

any help?

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2004, 01:18:33 pm »

re: your side question - not sure i understand. what about going into 'images' then in the tagging section first click 'unassigned' - which will select only those that have yet to be tagged, then work with those...

any help?

Yep, that'll work for now.  Still would like to be able to use a smartlist for tagging, but that will certainly work for now.

Thanks.

As far as making new fields for images and videos, I can do that, but a way to not add more fields to my database might be better.  I'll have to look at making smartlists to group all of these images/videos and tag the new fields, then delete the info in the old fields.  Just seems like too much work. :(

Matt, am I still missing something, or is this the best way right now to do what I'm describing?  Better yet, will it be changes any time soon, so I can avoid going through all of this work in the first place (then reversing it later)

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2004, 09:34:10 pm »

For example, I have only images in a View Scheme, and I only have 9 Genre's for Images.  Only those genre's show in the Genre Pane above the file listing box, however, if I click the drop down box in the TAG INFO window, all Genre's are listed, for all of my files, Music, Video, and Images.  So the drop-down list shows 40 options instead of the 9 shown in the view pane.

That's not great.  If it's not hard, it'll be changed in a coming build.

I want to only have the Image options available whenever I am tagging Images, and Video options available when tagging Video's, same for Music.  Also, I don't need those music only fileds as an option when setting up Image views.  I realize I can just not choose those tag fields, and that will help, but Matt sounded like it would do what I want, but I think it might not.

Sorry, I was remembering the old way it worked.

If you customize the columns for a view, they'll always show up in the 'Tag Info' window.  Since you can save and load column presets, it should be really quick work to get just the fields you want in each view.

Assuming we make the change to only show relevant choices, have we cleared all the hurdles?
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

jleerigby

« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2004, 07:10:56 am »

That's not great.  If it's not hard, it'll be changed in a coming build.

Is that really such a good idea?  So does that mean if we have a view scheme of say genre=rock and find that one of the albums contained therein is not rock we cannot simply select the album and then assign another genre in tag info by selecting it from the drop down list (presumably only rock would be shown in the drop down).  

This is just one example and I'm sure there are other reasons why you would want the tag info screen to work like it does now.

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2004, 09:22:06 am »

Matt, I think that would take care of my wants, thanks.

JLee, If they can make it so only 'Image' choices are visible in the drop down when Images are the selected Media Type, and 'Music' choices are listed in the drop down when Music is the Media Type, you still would have all Music Genre's available in your example, so I think we would both be okay.

In other words, make the drop down choices Media Type sensitive, not View Scheme Sensetive.

Thanks again Matt for your clarification.  I'll wait a little while before changing things around.
Pages: [1]   Go Up