INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Display video codecs?  (Read 2008 times)

IanG

• Citizen of the Universe
Display video codecs?
« on: March 18, 2004, 07:38:33 am »

I've only been using MC for a couple of days, but it's already miles ahead of anything else I've tried - great app!  What would really put the icing on the cake for me would be the ability for MC to detect and display the codecs used to render my various video clips.  Can MC do this already?  If not, is there a wishlist anywhere?

Ian G.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re:Display video codecs?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2004, 08:05:11 am »

Thanks.

If you mean codecs, a view by the file type will show you what you want.  Open video by clicking on the plus.  View schemes can be added by right clicking on the location where you want to add one (video, for example).

If you mean DirectX filters, then the answer is "not now".  Maybe in the future.

urlybird

• Junior Woodchuck
  • .^.^.^......... ..^.^.^..
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2004, 11:36:50 am »

IanG

There is a free utility called Gspot that may give you what you are looking for.
It can be found at http://www.headbands.com/gspot/

Direct Show Render sample output from an AVI file:

DirectShow claims to be able to play the file. The following combination of filters were used:

{E:\beyond tv3\recordi..-..lot)-2004-01-21-0.avi} (Source)
 {AVI Splitter} (Splitter)

{DivX Decoder Filter} (Video Decoder)
 {Video Renderer} (Video Renderer)

{Moonlight Odio Dekoda} (Audio Decoder)
 {Default DirectSound Device} (Audio Renderer)

Urlybird

IanG

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2004, 11:40:03 am »

Jim - thanks for the quick reply.  Yes, I mean codecs, but all I'm seeing is "avi", "mpg" etc. - there's no codec information.

Ian G.

jleerigby

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2004, 12:03:02 pm »

Jim - thanks for the quick reply.  Yes, I mean codecs, but all I'm seeing is "avi", "mpg" etc. - there's no codec information.

Ian G.

You won't find codec information when adding a view scheme.  I think JimH momentarily lost his marbles.

IanG

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2004, 12:53:19 pm »

There is a free utility called Gspot that may give you what you are looking for.

Thanks for that!  That's exactly the sort of information I'd like to see - I already use Gspot, but it would be nice to have all the information in one place.  

Ian G.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2004, 01:13:26 pm »

Ian G.

You won't find codec information when adding a view scheme.  I think JimH momentarily lost his marbles.
mpg isn't a codec?

jleerigby

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2004, 02:41:03 pm »

I think Ian wanted to see the name of the codec that was being used to play the file.  Like if you right click on an .avi file in windows and select properties it tells you that it's using the DivX 5.1 Codec.

IlPadrino

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2004, 03:35:24 pm »

Ian G.

mpg isn't a codec?

No.  MPG is a container.  So is AVI.

IanG

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2004, 05:52:47 pm »

Ian G.

mpg isn't a codec?

AVI is also a de facto standard, but there's no guarantee that anything other than the original codec will be able to decode an avi file.  Just to make life interesting, DivX uses the avi file extension but is realy MPEG-4, and dv captured from a video camera also uses the avi extension.  I don't know what Xvid uses, but I know what my money would be on!

That's why I want to know what codecs have been used! :)

Ian G.

IlPadrino

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2004, 10:57:29 pm »

Ian G.

mpg isn't a codec?

AVI is also a de facto standard, but there's no guarantee that anything other than the original codec will be able to decode an avi file.  Just to make life interesting, DivX uses the avi file extension but is realy MPEG-4, and dv captured from a video camera also uses the avi extension.  I don't know what Xvid uses, but I know what my money would be on!

That's why I want to know what codecs have been used! :)

Ian G.

Again...  AVI does not specify a codec.  AVI can even store uncompressed video.  I wouldn't be too worried about ever losing the use of a particular codec.
Pages: [1]   Go Up