INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 10.0.95 ... MC locking up when trying to access Convert Format  (Read 1507 times)

RhinoBanga

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Developer

Everytime I try Tools/Advanced Tools/Convert Format MC locks up eating 99% CPU.   I have to kill it via task manager.

So can some kind people try it and let me know if it runs so I can determine if it's MC or my computer.

matshif

Re:10.0.95 ... MC locking up when trying to access Convert Format
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2004, 07:24:50 am »

No problems here.

RhinoBanga

• Developer
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2004, 07:37:20 am »

Looks like it's an MC issue as I can get it to lock up on demand.

If I fire up MC then go straight to Convert Format ... it locks up.

If I fire up MC, select a track then go to Convert format it works (i.e. the dialog appears).

Although interestingly when I hit cancel MC wipes out my selection and if I try to go back to Convert Format it displays the message "Please select the tracks you want to convert." which is what I would have expected it to do the first time.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2004, 08:24:56 am »

What are you trying to convert?  How many?

RhinoBanga

• Developer
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2004, 12:12:37 pm »

I'm not actually trying to convert anything ... I just wanted to see what options it offerered and I couldn't get into the screen.

When I fire up MC no album/track is selected and if I try to go into the screen it locks up.

When I fire up MC and select an album/track then the dialog appears.

And this also happens when I exit out of the dialog:

Although interestingly when I hit cancel MC wipes out my selection and if I try to go back to Convert Format it displays the message "Please select the tracks you want to convert." which is what I would have expected it to do the first time.

JohnT

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2004, 10:55:57 am »

Here's what is probably happening:

1. you start MC, the tree window has focus so if your media library is highlighted the entire library is selected
2. you select the "convert" option and it scans the entire library to analyze what it's got to do. This probably creates the cpu load and the appearance of a freezeup.
3. later, you select one track and then "convert", now the list view window has focus and the convert function just works on the one track
4. you cancel the convert operation which clears the list of selected tracks
5. you select "convert" which now has zero selected tracks to work with and gives you the "no files selected" message
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

RhinoBanga

• Developer
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2004, 11:54:25 am »

1. you start MC, the tree window has focus so if your media library is highlighted the entire library is selected

Fine, lets accept that for now.

5. you select "convert" which now has zero selected tracks to work with and gives you the "no files selected" message

If that's the case and considering your first statement how can you tell what MC will do if there is nothing selected in the list view in both cases?

I think you should either a) display "no files selected" to be consistant or b) ask if the user really want to convert everything in their library.   In my case I have 7000+ tracks and the chances of me wanting to convert that amount are next to nothing and it would give me the option to cancel.
Pages: [1]   Go Up