INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: TIVO J RIVER and Streaming - HOW TO?  (Read 5352 times)

schaffermk

• Change this by choosing profile
TIVO J RIVER and Streaming - HOW TO?
« on: March 30, 2004, 04:41:21 pm »

Can someone explain step by step how to stream a simple asx stream from the pc (running media server) to my tivo?  I can't seem to figure it out!   ?

maxl311

• Recent member
Re:TIVO J RIVER and Streaming - HOW TO?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2004, 07:43:31 pm »

First you should note that MC10 is required for Windows Media stream playback via the TiVo HMO. If you already have MC10, read on. I also assume that you already have Media Server up and streaming away to your TiVo.

1. Create a playlist and call it "Radio" or whatever you want.

2. Open an MP3 or WMA stream in MC.
There are a couple of ways to do this. If you have the URL already, go to File > Open URL and enter the URL there, or go to Web Media in the navigation tree, find a radio station in the right format (must be MP3 or Windows Media), and click the playback icon.

3. Once the stream is playing back, click "Playing Now" in the navigation tree.

4. In the bottom right pane, locate the row corresponding to the currently playing stream. (You can type in a friendly name for it in the "Name" column if you want.)

5. Right-click the row, and from the menu, select "Send To" and then "Playlist" and then the name of the playlist you created in step 1. (Alternatively, you could drag-and-drop the row to the playlist in the Navigation tree if you have the Playlist branch of the tree expanded and visible.)

6. To add more streams, repeat 1-5 for other stations as necessary. For adding multiple streams to the playlist, you could also, I suppose, keep adding streams to the Playing now list, and then select all the rows and then follow step 5.

7. You should now be able to open the stream(s) in the TiVo HMO by navigating to the Music section, and then going to Playlists > {Name of your radio playlist} > {Name of your station} and pressing Select or Play on your TiVo remote.

Note that there is a known issue in MC10 with playing back some Windows Media ASX audio streams in that MC incorrectly identifies them as WMV video streams and thus won't stream them to the TiVo. But as they say, "Your mileage may vary."

Every technology really needs to be shipped with a special manual -- not how to use it but why, when, and for what.

TimB

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2004, 08:35:25 pm »

Note that there is a known issue in MC10 with playing back some Windows Media ASX audio streams in that MC incorrectly identifies them as WMV video streams and thus won't stream them to the TiVo. But as they say, "Your mileage may vary."

Is this the problem I'm having with http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/aod/bbc7_asx.shtml?9all and is there a way to fix it? :)

Thanks!

-=Tim=-
Boy do I LOVE Media Center!!!

maxl311

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2004, 08:56:08 pm »

I tried loading that stream and it didn't work. It doesn't look like the same problem that I and others have been encountering in that the file type is being reported as MP3 rather than WMV.

I have reported this issue a number of times for a couple of builds now, but it still has not been fixed as of MC 10.0.100. I also have received no replies to my request for a workaround.
Every technology really needs to be shipped with a special manual -- not how to use it but why, when, and for what.

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2004, 11:24:13 am »

fixed in build 101.

j

TimB

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2004, 11:42:57 am »

fixed in build 101.

j

Which issue?  I'm pretty sure I was having that http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/aod/bbc7_asx.shtml?9all problem in 102.

Thanks! :)

-=Tim=-

maxl311

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2004, 11:00:03 pm »

I just installed MC 10.0.103 and it is still showing many WM ASX audio streams as having a file type of WMV in MC. None of these even show up in my Radio playlist on the TiVo.

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2004, 03:42:12 pm »

Make sure the radio stations are in the database. Then edit their Media Type and change it from WMV to WMA.

j

TimB

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2004, 10:28:19 am »

fixed in build 101.

j

Which issue?  I'm pretty sure I was having that http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/aod/bbc7_asx.shtml?9all problem in 102.

Thanks! :)

-=Tim=-

I hate to nag (but that never stopped me! :) ).

This still doesn't work with .104, when I try to do it MC goes to the display window and I get a "pure function call" error and MC freezes up with an hourglass cursor.  I have to Ctrl-Alt-Del to quit out of MC.

If this isn't supposed to work, just let me know, if I'm messing something up, just let me know, I love being corrected! :)

Thanks!

-=Tim=-

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2004, 01:35:35 pm »

Hi Tim,

I am unable to get this stream to work in Media Center, much less Media Server/TiVo...

j

IrishDerby

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2004, 10:39:08 am »

I have a number of radio stations that are still incorrectly identified as wmv files instead of wma. An earlier post said to edit the estension and make the change, but I can't see how that can be done. The File Type field in Tag Info does not seem to be editable.

pjasper

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2004, 02:25:05 pm »

That URL takes me to an HTML page with an embedded media stream. You need to go to http://STREAM.SERVSTREAM.COM/ViewWeb/BBCRadio_music/Event/BBCRadio7_hi.asx to get the stream directly.
However, when I add this to my radio playlist as in the instructions above, I'm unable to play it again in MC from the playlist (i.e. it only works when I open it from "File> Open URL..."). I get a message saying "The specified protocol is not recognized." When I look at the tag info, the filename has been converted to a "mms://" address (the file type is still "wma"). Even if I poke the original URL into the filename, I get the same error.
And it doesn't show up at all on my TiVo.
Any ideas how to play streams such as this repeatably in MC and to my TiVo? (Hopefully, this is now pretty repeatable for others to try.)
Thanks, Paul

IrishDerby

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2004, 06:53:09 am »

I am having a similar problem as well. To start with, my "Radio" playlist does not even show up on my Tivo. Previously it did, and I was able to play my wma stations.
I now have a second problem in Media Center itself. I added http://www.wshu.org/listen/wshu-fm2.asx to my listing of radio stations and played it with no problem. However, I can not get it to play again. If I click on play from the listing of stations, it appears to start and shows up in the now playing area, but does not play. If I open the URL, the same thing happens. However, if I put that URL in my browser, it immediately opens Windows Media Player and plays without a problem.
I have the latest version of Media Center.

nigebj

• Recent member
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2004, 09:59:51 pm »

I have exactly these symptoms with:
http://rope.icgo.fimc.net/staticweb/onair_players/onair_capitalfm/player/onair_capital.asx

Play URL worked.
Added to Playlist.
Failed to work from playlist.
Now fails to work period.

Shame, I was evaluating this program specifically to stream Internet radio (in fact this station) to TiVo.

nigebj

• Recent member
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2004, 09:49:15 am »

Just incase someone finds this thread, and not the other - the streaming problems in this area appear to be completely fixed with V11.  The stream now works fine - it is still identified as WMV, and the only solution I have found to that is to export the Playlist (MPL), edit the resultant file, and re-import (using Right-Click in Explorer, doesn't seem to work with Library/Media).

Once in the playlist, work reliably for me now.
Pages: [1]   Go Up