INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wireless Connection Fixes?  (Read 1185 times)

netdog

• Recent member
  • Change this by choosing profile
Wireless Connection Fixes?
« on: March 31, 2004, 05:16:15 am »

I am using the latest release version of Media Center and Media server.  I am running XP Pro and have a PC (the server) hooked up to a Linksys 54G Gateway and the gateway has a wireless connection to my laptop (also Linksys 54G).  While it is true that my connection jumps down as low as 18Mbps sometimes, it is usually between 36-54 Mbps.  Still, the music stream from the server often craps out.  Any ideas about possible fixes within XP, the software or the router to get things running smoothly?  The bandwidth should be sufficient as is to play WAV files, but it even poops out with MP3 files, which makes me quite suspicious that there is some setting that needs to be adjusted to make the feed smoother.

FYI - The gateway is a Linksys WAG54G and the laptop is equipped with a WPC54G.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re:Wireless Connection Fixes?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2004, 07:14:27 am »

We also believe there is a problem somewhere in the wireless networking, but we also think it's not in our code.  We just talk to Microsoft networking, so we don't even know what the physical connection is.

Have you tried a google search?  Or the web sites of Microsoft and Linksys?

netdog

• Recent member
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2004, 07:37:56 am »

Will call Linksys next.

rocketsauce

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2004, 11:24:21 am »

Will call Linksys next.

That should be fun. :P  I've been trying to help a friend setup a Linksys printserver on his network. I've spent hours on the phone with their tech support and I still haven't been able to get it working. Always a bad connection and hard-to-understand techs. Apparently, their support center is on the opposite side of the planet than I where I'm located (which is California).

Rob

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2004, 11:42:41 am »

I would check the forums at www.broadbandreports.com for help.  I was able to find lots of help there when I had trouble with a Netgear gateway/router ... There are FAQs and helpful tips on lots of networking gear there.  There is a Hardware forum there devoted to Linksys stuff.  Good luck!
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2004, 02:47:47 pm »

Rocketsauce, I belive Linksys USA are amongst the companies that has outsourced the support to India. So you're really not talking to Charlie or John, those are just "artist names" for indian computer techs.
Tor with the Cinema Inferno & Multi-Zone Audio system
Pages: [1]   Go Up