INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: POST IPOD SUPPORT QUESTIONS HERE  (Read 22130 times)

SteveG

• Citizen of the Universe
POST IPOD SUPPORT QUESTIONS HERE
« on: April 01, 2004, 01:58:00 pm »

Hello All,  

For anyone who is new to MC, please be sure to get the latest version from our downloads page or from the first thread on this board.

An excellent help file (thanks Adam) on using MC and iPod can be found here:

http://www.home.earthlink.net/~ashawley01/      

For additional information, please check the previous help thread at:

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=19995;start=0

For any issues not covered, please post below and someone will respond ASAP.  Please copy and paste your system info from MC Help and include the version of the Portable Drive Plugin you use.    

Thanks,  

Steve

gundan

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
Re:POST IPOD SUPPORT QUESTIONS HERE
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2004, 05:45:34 pm »

Steve,

With regards to the audible issue, does this mean that if audible just doesn't give 2 hoots about this issue and just lets it fester about, this will always be the case?

I wish you were able to use the Real player approach as before.

G

bigfoot42

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2004, 08:28:38 pm »

Steve,

10.0.104 seems to fix my ratings synch problem.  :)  Thanks for tracking it down.

Jack

SteveG

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2004, 09:37:02 am »

gundan,

Always is too long, but for now we must see if they fix this. Real player is not an option. Sorry.

Jack,

Thanks for the update.

akhunaton

• World Citizen
  • I Love Music
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2004, 10:20:00 pm »

Still problem loosing bookmark. I just purchased another audible book. I thought perhaps there was a problem with the file. still loosing bookmark.

1. synch playlist with books and all 3 bottom selections checked.
2. play book on ipod
3. resynch
4. play book on ipod , starts at beginning.

Should I be taking these files out of the audible directory before synching?

Anybody else having this problem but me ?

thanks for your help.

iCamp

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2004, 11:38:06 pm »

MC just crashed while transfering a new album to my iPod...when I restarted MC I found it deleted every song on the iPod.  That's a ton of fun.

Jas

No playlists
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2004, 07:30:33 am »

I have 2300+ mp3s on 2nd gen 20 gig iPod. The problem is my playlists won't synchonize. After a synch, there are no playlists on iPod. I have 106 build and have reitialized, rebuilt database, still no playlists. When I synch with playlists, the first thing it deletes a bunch of files, even though I don't have "delete files" selected. The synch dialogue box then tells me it's synching 387 files - interestingly the exact number number of files in one of my smartlists - Favorites- All.  After synch is complete, I have correct total number of files shown and Artist, album, songs, genre are all corect as shown, except playlists. When I check iPod, right total # songs, artists, etc. and right amount of space shown remaining, but no playlists. When I try synching again, same thing, it deletes a bunch of files (probably 387 but it's too fast to see), and then reloads the favorites, and then, no playlists.  Any suggestions? Jas

ranwill

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2004, 08:39:31 am »

Is it possible to put the music I want on my Ipod into a separate folder and than create a smartlist to reflect the contents of that folder with it's subfolders? ( I use a separate folder for each album). This way I could simply drag the music I want on the Ipod from my main music folder and place it in the Ipod folder, and have the Smartlist update my Ipod upon sycronizing.

I haven't found a way to create a Smartlist that will reflect a folder with it's subfolders.

Please help,

Randy

gigglez4all

• Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2004, 11:29:07 am »

I have the same problem as jas i can't seam to get any playlists on the ipod. It shows that they are there but i don't see them on my ipod.

PLease help!!!

aim gigglez4dm

ludwigl

• Recent member
  • Lost... But having a great time!
I'm having a hard time understanding Replay Gain feature
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2004, 02:01:07 pm »

Hi All,

I'm new to all of this and I'm having a hard time understanding Replay Gain feature and the Help Text is not making it clear enough for my thick skull. In an attempt to "Volume Level" my music I have "Analyzed" all of my MP3's using MC10 .106 and now have Replay Gain settings of -18.53dB to +9.54dB in my main playlist. When I transfer playlists to my iPod  they now play too softly. It looks like if I sync and carry the Replay Gain over I can also use the "Adjustment" to add a fixed amount to the calculated Replay Gain and that might bring the volume to a normal level... Assuming I can find the correct adjustment number.

Is this correct? Or should I be doing something else to correct this problem? I did not want to modify the MP3 files just adjust how MC and the iPod play them. Because of this I choose not to "Normalize" the files.

Well... I started to play a bit and found that this does seem to work. I tried a +10dB adjustment and that brought quite an improvement. On a playlist that had songs with Replay Gain settings ranging from -18.53dB to +9.54dB this was more than enough to allow the volume setting on my iPod to not need to be set to max just to hear the music. I guess I need to play some more to find the perfect setting.

Is there a "formula" that can be used to help guess-timate the needed "Adjustment" number? Have others found better solutions?

Thanks,

Lorne

-In Beer there is Strength...
-In Wine there is Wisdom...
-In Water there is BACTERIA!!!

Old German Proverb

MikeW

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2004, 03:06:42 pm »

Jas-
If you have "synchronize all files" checked when you sync, only files, and not playlists, will be synchronized.  If you uncheck that option, you will be able to specify which playlists/smartlists (and files they contain) you want synced to the iPod.

MikeW

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2004, 03:11:14 pm »

Steve,

Is there a way I can tell the sync process to ignore unsupported file types rather than give me the error message?

Specifically,  I have jpeg files that keep popping into the top hits, or recently played lists, which I like having on the iPod (the lists- not the jpegs), so I keep getting the error message.

A simple "don't show this message again" type of checkbox would work the first time the error message for "unsupported file type" error message.

SteveG

« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2004, 04:00:07 pm »

akhunaton,

Are the audible files being resent on subsequent synchs? They should not be. If they are not being resent, the bookmark should not be lost. For me, the files are not resent, and the bookmark is not lost. Anyone else able to reproduce this?

iCamp,

I do not think the files were deleted from your iPod. If there was a crash, the database on iPod may have been corrupted or not written which would explain why the files appear to be gone. You can verify this by looking on your iPod in Explorer in the 'Music' folder for foders such as F00 and F01 which probably contain files. If this is the case, you should select the 'Rebuild  database from iPod' option when you right click on the iPod drive letter and it will reassociate the tracks on iPod with the database. A subsequent synch will rebuild the playlists quickly.

Jas,

When synching do you have 'Send playlist data' checked? If not, you need to. Do your smartlists have any dynamic rules (i.e. random, limit by one hour, etc.)? If so, the files are changing and that would explain the deletion and reupload. If not, please isolate one file that is always resent and email it to me (steve @ jriver.com).

Randy,

I think you are making this more complicated than you need to. If you are looking for a static list of files to transfer to iPod, you could use a playlist. Can you explain in a general way what you are trying to do?

gigglez4all,

Are you using 10.0.106? If not, please get it. If you can, try a reinitialize and start over.

Lorne,

You are on the right track. Adjust the '=-adjustment' to find the appropriate iPod adjustment that works well for your library.  FYI, when files are transferred from MC to iPod, MC converts the RG value to a similar value that the iPod can understand.

MikeW,

I will improve this next week.

Steve

akhunaton

• World Citizen
  • I Love Music
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2004, 04:05:08 pm »

nope, the audible files are not resent.

SteveG

« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2004, 04:12:47 pm »

akhunaton,

And the bookmark is remembered after multiple disconnects and reconnects as long as you don't resync??

Steve

akhunaton

• World Citizen
  • I Love Music
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2004, 04:29:16 pm »

yes, i just tested this. connected then ejected . bookmarks still there.

SteveG

« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2004, 04:38:38 pm »

akhunaton,

what if you delete another track on iPod? This will cause the database to be rewritten. If the bookmark still exists, are you certain the file is not being resent? Verify this by checking the filename where you will see a number such as 2007.mp3.  After the sync, be sure this number does not change.

akhunaton

• World Citizen
  • I Love Music
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2004, 05:02:09 pm »

file is named 8358.aa

resync then eject. Bookmark gone. reconnected, file is named the same 8358.aa

this happens no matter if i delete files on ipod and have database rewritten or simply resync without doing any other changes.

ranwill

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2004, 07:45:31 pm »

Steve,

Thanks for the reply, you're right, I am making this more complicated that it is. I wanted a way to drag and drop files to the Ipod, and I never thought of a plain old playlist. DOH

Thanks,

Randy

Ken Brookings

• World Citizen
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2004, 01:33:16 pm »

Steve,
I transferred 3099 files from MC to iPOD.  Built a few playlists.  Looking at the iPOD thru MC all looks perfect; all files shown, all playlists shown.  The iPOD shows the right amount of memory usage and it looks like all the files are there.

However, only a portion of the files appear in the iPOD data base when accessed thru the iPOD, and no playlists.  Interestingly, the database looks complete for artists starting A thu C (more or less), then breaks down with only about 10% or less of the artists shown thru the rest of the alphabet.

I put the files on the iPOD by just transfering, not from a playlist or complete library so I don't know what I would sync with (and I may not understand syncing).  I did back up the iPOD using a standard issue type back program onto an external hard disk.

Help!  How do I get the iPOD to access all the files?

Ken

Media Center Registered 10.0.106 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Jukebox\

Microsoft Windows XP  Workstation 5.1 Service Pack 1 (Build 2600)
Intel Pentium 4 2251 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 523 MB, Free - 177 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2800.1106 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82 (xpsp1.020828-1920) / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2800.1400 / Shell32.dll: 6.00.2800.1233 (xpsp2.030604-1804) / wnaspi32.dll: Internal ASPI Layer

Ripping /   Drive D:   Mode:Normal  Type:IDE  Speed:Max
  Drive E: HL-DT-STCD-RW GCE-8400B   Mode:Normal  Type:IDE  Speed:Max
  Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: Yes /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
  Eject after ripping: Yes /  Play sound after ripping: No  

Burning /  Drive E: HL-DT-ST CD-RW GCE-8400B    Addr: 1:1:0  Speed:32  MaxSpeed:40  BurnProof:Yes
  Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: Yes
  Use playback settings: No /  Normalization: 100 %

SteveG

« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2004, 01:53:24 pm »

Ken,

Right click on the iPod and select 'Rebuild database from iPod'.  This should allow iPod to recognize the files. If you are supposed to have playlists, they will need to be resent, but the files will already be on iPod.

Steve

Ken Brookings

• World Citizen
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2004, 01:58:54 pm »

Thanks Steve, but already did that.  Result was indentical; everything shows when viewing thru MC only a small portion show when viewing database thru iPOD.
Ken

SteveG

« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2004, 02:36:59 pm »

Ken,

Check the filename path for the files when viewed in MC. Do you see multiple files with the same name (i.e. 2003.mp3)?  Also check the actual path on a few files on the iPod when viewed in Explorer to verify that the files are there.

Steve

Ken Brookings

• World Citizen
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2004, 02:52:15 pm »

Hi Steve,
Yes multiple files with same name.  Also all files are checked thru explorer show as correctly named files in ipod.  Properties for music file in ipod shows 3120 files in 20 folders.  
Looking in "extras" in iPOD says there are 49 songs using 11. something GB.  Looking in MC shows 3079 files using the same amount of memory.
I did the rebuild iPOD database a second time just to be sure; same result.
Ken

hobbes8calvin

• Recent member
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2004, 09:47:20 pm »

Disable iTunes auto-launching when connecting iPod?
-------------------------------------------------------------------

I use MC 10.0.106 for just about everything at home except ordering music and listening to radio broadcasts (iTunes). So I don't really want iTunes to launch everytime I connect iPod to sync.

Anyone have any ideas on disabling this auto launch?

"You studied stuff? How were the mid-terms?"

bvm

• World Citizen
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2004, 10:04:03 pm »

When it launches, click on the little ipod icon in the lower right of the itunes window -- it will give you an option you can uncheck.

iCamp

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2004, 10:14:31 pm »

iCamp,

I do not think the files were deleted from your iPod. If there was a crash, the database on iPod may have been corrupted or not written which would explain why the files appear to be gone. You can verify this by looking on your iPod in Explorer in the 'Music' folder for foders such as F00 and F01 which probably contain files. If this is the case, you should select the 'Rebuild  database from iPod' option when you right click on the iPod drive letter and it will reassociate the tracks on iPod with the database. A subsequent synch will rebuild the playlists quickly.

Thanks Steve!  That did the trick.  

hobbes8calvin

• Recent member
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2004, 10:59:13 pm »

When it launches, click on the little ipod icon in the lower right of the itunes window -- it will give you an option you can uncheck.

Thanks - I was hoping for something simple like that!
"You studied stuff? How were the mid-terms?"

Ken Brookings

• World Citizen
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2004, 11:31:35 pm »

Steve, regarding the problem of files on the iPOD not showing up in the database (and not being recoverable through rebuilding the database command).
I dumped 10.whatever and loaded up 9.1.318 and rebuilt the database.  Worked perfectly.  I had tried three times in 10. plus tried syncing to a playlist with no luck.

Ken Brookings

• World Citizen
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2004, 08:52:55 am »

So I put my MC system back up to the latest 10.whatever, made up a playlist and tried to sync to it.   The database that was rebuilt correctly in 9.1 turned back into the corrupted data base from previous attemps with 10.whatever.  Exactly the same; same 49 songs there, playlists gone.

Flying out tomorrow to pick up our new MINI Cooper and drive it back cross country.  Had a jack installed in it to a sound system for iPOD.  Need to build some playlists for 50 hours of road time. HELP!
Ken

SteveG

« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2004, 01:14:45 pm »

Ken,

Can you do a 'Rebuild database from iPod' with MC 10 and then email me your iTunesDB file (in Windows Explorer go to your iPod drive letter and then to iPod_Control->iTunes)? I will look at it and see if I can make some suggestions.

Steve (steve @ jriver.com)

Ken Brookings

• World Citizen
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2004, 01:50:37 pm »

I won't be able to do that this time around.  I reloaded 9.1 and rebuilt the database.  Then tried sync to some playlists.  I had the "delete files not in sync" (or whatever it was called).  This of course deleted all of my files (my fault).  So now I'm restoring my files, which thaks about 2+ days.  Then off on a cross country trip, so unfortuntaly won't be able to get you the files you asked for.
I'd love to have a way to make some playlists today or tomorrow; is there an old version that worked?
Ken

SteveG

« Reply #32 on: April 06, 2004, 02:16:24 pm »

Ken,

What do you mean when you say restoring your files takes 2 days? Are you doing on the fly encoding on the way to your iPod? If not, 2+ days is way too long. You mentioned that 9.1.318 worked for you, you could use that.

Throughout your bug reporting, have you ever initialized your iPod and started clean? I think if you did this your problems would go away.

Please summarize what state your iPod is in. How many files are currently playable on iPod? How many files are visible in MC? Can you email me your iTunesDB as it is now?

Steve

Penfold

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Lunchlady Doris, have ye got ony grease?
« Reply #33 on: April 06, 2004, 02:17:23 pm »

Steve mate,

That's 3 of us having the same problem now with the disappearing tracks:

They exist on iPod but then iPod doesn't see them after several successful syncs.

Rebuild database from iPod doesn't work.

Database is OK after a MC library delete, an iPod restore & a resync.

More than a week passes then a sync will corrupt the database.

This MAY involve playlists, last time it happened it was exactly 7 days after procedure listed above, then removing the (7 days imported) playlist at the sync dialog.

MC then reads iPods remaining space incorrectly & if sync starts then I know it will break.

Sync will 'break' database under all sync dialog checkbox conditions whether all or none selected.

I've emailed you the DB but still in London so cannot do extensive tests.

No smoke without fire, that's 3 of us now & I know for me it's not me/my iPod/my setup.

I just wish there was more input I could give...but there's nothing else I've noticed so far.

I implore you please do not go to release with this bug intact.

Thanks again,
Mike

Ken Brookings

• World Citizen
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #34 on: April 06, 2004, 02:24:37 pm »

Steve, yes reloading from MC database including format conversion.  The files were wiped off my database during sync (not just corrupted data base),  For me at least its takes a couple days to decode, normalize, encode and transfer 3100 files (mostly from APE).  Rebuilding the database goes quickly (if in 9.1, in 10. it builds a corrupt data base the same every time.  It was my fault (I think) I wiped that actual files off trying to sync to a playlist).

State my iPOD is in: Idaho.  Seriously, I had reinitialized.  Can mail you my database now because it disappeared and is reloading files as we speak.  Before I wiped the files out it has 3100 files when viewed thru MC or explorer and 49 "songs" when viewed thru iPOD based on the 10.1 rebuild.  When rebuilt thru 9.1 then every showed consistenly with the real number (3100) thru MC, explorer and iPOD.  
But couldn't make playlists thru 9.1 or 10.whatever.
Ken

SteveG

« Reply #35 on: April 06, 2004, 04:07:35 pm »

Mike,

Thanks for the update.  I am not so quick to associate yours and Ken's issues. When MC reads your iPod's remaining space incorrectly, MC is reporting the results of a very basic Windows function that reports the space. At that point, I suggest that either your iPod is suffering a hardware problem (you could verify this by checking the space in Explorer when you see the incorrect value) or the space available is correct and we need to come at this from another angle. I just received your iTunesDB and will  take a look.

Ken,

If you are in the middle of uploading songs with MC 10 let me know how that turns out.

Steve

Penfold

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #36 on: April 06, 2004, 07:27:36 pm »

I'm at a loss to explain it but the pic shows it all, check the bottom of the window, that's MC's bottom bar, 'H:' is my iPod, I have 11gig free on iPod according to MC & Windows & iPod. If Windows & MC can play these files on iPod then I must have succesfully transferred the near 5000 mp3s that total 26GB & live on my harddrive.

So why on the sync dialog should my free space be predicted as 36Gb? Does the sync use the database to calculate free space then? Why does, if I let this sync complete, MC wipe all but a fraction of songs from the iPod database & not the files themselves? MC can play these 'disappeared' files from the ipod through the 'Drives & Devices' tree...

We've done the hardware/test thing weeks ago & it's not that...I even ran it for a week with just iTunes - rock solid sync every time

The only conclusion I can come to at this albeit late hour is that the DB is wrong after a sync. But why I hear you cry does it work when library is deleted & reimported? No idea, it works for a while & breaks after around a week of successful sync'age...then it's back to the resetting of everything again.

Ken Brookings

• World Citizen
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #37 on: April 07, 2004, 09:09:08 am »

Hey Steve,
All files successfully were restored to the iPOD from the back up copy.  However, I could not rebuild the database in 10.latest.  Showed 142 files.  Went to 9.latest and successfully rebuilt the iPOD database.
Can't seem to make playlists though.  Using 10.latest it recorrupts the database when syncing to a playlist.  Using 9.latest it makes a playlist but rejects about 90% of the files because of format incompatibility.  Most all of the rejected files are on the iPOD and play normally.
Also, when viewing the iPOD thru MC I see a playlist option there.  I built a sample playlist that way but nothing shows up on the iPOD.  I suspect I don't know how to do it this way.
Ken

SteveG

« Reply #38 on: April 07, 2004, 10:14:28 am »

Mike,

Click on 'Select None' in the Synchronization dialogue to deselect all of your playlists. What does the Synchronization dialogue then report for available after sync?

Look on your iPod through Explorer and see if you see multiple files with the same name (i.e. 2003.mp3). My guess is you will and that is why the synchronization calculation is off. Try finding one of the files with a duplicate name and send it to me and I will see if I can replicate the file being resent which is potentially at the root of this problem.

FYI for anyone following Ken's issue, Ken has been restoring the files to his iPod from a backup drive. This is not recommended.  In this case, the files have not been imported into MC which is not a good idea.

Ken,

Having said that, after yesterday's conversation, I understand why you are  trying to do this.  My best guess at your current snag is that the files on the backup have a mix of MC 9 names and MC 10 names which is where there is a problem. Please try to find a way to import the converted files from the backup into MC and then sync them from there.

Steve

Ken Brookings

• World Citizen
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #39 on: April 07, 2004, 10:23:48 am »

Thanks for all your help Steve.  

Ken Brookings

• World Citizen
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #40 on: April 07, 2004, 10:25:35 am »

Steve, now that I've got the library back on the iPOD can I move it from the iPOD to my computer and rescan from MC?
Ken

SteveG

« Reply #41 on: April 07, 2004, 12:50:21 pm »

Ken,

If you are talking about the physical files themselves, the answer is yes. Right click on the iPod files and select 'Download to PC'.

Alternately, the following should work...

1) Create a new library and import the files from your iPod.

2) Create and populate playlists.

3) Sync playlists and be sure to uncheck 'Delete unselected files' to be sure not to wipe out any files.

The result should be that the files are not resent and the playlists are created and populated on iPod.

Penfold

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #42 on: April 07, 2004, 01:19:57 pm »

37.1Gb free space if 'select none' is selected.

A "~dup=[filename]" search on my iPod yielded no results.  But then I set my iPod to do a fresh initialisation this morning when I got home.

I can try & force the error though, sync with 'select none' checked, see what happens...

nothing happened,

tried sync'ing with 'select all' checked: Recently Played & Top Hits loaded to iPod successfully

Deselected 'sync all files', deselected the 2 playlists & sync'ed,

All OK, so reticked the playlists & resync: around 51 files transferred, but the majority were cover art jpegs so failed to transfer with error 'unsupported file type'.

My total files according to iPod grew from 4826 to 4848 after this sync.

I can't make it generate the problem on demand, last time this happened is when it was OK for a week then the database went wonky after a sync.

Might have to wait until then. :(

Would a 'before & after' iTunesDB comparison be any use? I could back it up before I run any sync & hopefully catch the offending sync this way?

BTW I can't seem to spot any duplicates but I'm not sure of the best way of automating this process.

bvm

• World Citizen
« Reply #43 on: April 08, 2004, 03:45:31 pm »

Back in the old thread on Mar 28 I said
After reading Alfie's posts, I feared that nothing had changed with my problem, but I decided to upgrade to 10.0.100 anyway and try.  I did a restore on my iPod, initialize in MC, and then sync.  It took about 45 minutes to sync, a little longer than the 40 minutes it took in 10.0.38, but quite a bit less than the over an hour it took in 10.0.93.  Most importantly, it looks like it actually worked.  The sync dialog shows a reasonable estimate for space available, and files are visible at root and everywhere else in the tree.  I modified some tags in MC, and a fresh synch sent over only the changed files.

However, I'm now back in the same state I was complaining about, where no files are visible at root, and the sync dialog gives a space estimate consistent with it intending to send over every file afresh.

What have I done in the meantime?  My iPod was idle for a week, so it had to reboot when I turned it on.  Can't imagine rebooting has anything to do with it.  However, I do vaguely recall choosing not to sync possibly the last time I plugged in.  That is, I brought up the sync dialog, which flashed up a notice that it was retrieving info from the iPod into MC, and then I didn't run the sync, since I noticed that my last played/rating info had been copied into MC (surprised me, but that was the main thing I wanted to do the sync for).

Before I erase my iPod and start over yet again, is there any useful state I can send you from it?

SteveG

« Reply #44 on: April 09, 2004, 11:00:18 am »

bvm,

I have a pretty good theory on what may have happened and the fix for it will be posted in the next MC build which won't be until Monday.  Had you recently modified ratings, composer, or comments in MC? If you modify any of these fields, the tracks will be resent to iPod.

Thanks,

Steve

PS When you say 'no files visible at root' do you mean in MC or on iPod? If you can send me your iTunesDB before you start over, that would be good.

bvm

• World Citizen
« Reply #45 on: April 09, 2004, 01:40:48 pm »

I have a pretty good theory on what may have happened and the fix for it will be posted in the next MC build which won't be until Monday.  Had you recently modified ratings, composer, or comments in MC?

I've added 7 new tracks.  It's possible I modified some tags of older tracks.

If you modify any of these fields, the tracks will be resent to iPod.

Those tracks, yes.  But all tracks?

When you say 'no files visible at root' do you mean in MC or on iPod? If you can send me your iTunesDB before you start over, that would be good.

In MC.  The iPod itself looks fine.  What address should I send the db to?

SteveG

« Reply #46 on: April 09, 2004, 02:43:35 pm »

bvm,

All tracks should not be sent.

Please send iTunesDB to steve @ jriver.com

Thanks.

Seviien

• World Citizen
  • SteveG for President! :)
« Reply #47 on: April 09, 2004, 02:52:31 pm »

I'm having the same exact problem.

I synched my ipod and all the tracks got deleted before MC tried to send them all over again.  I resynched before ejecting the ipod, and it worked as it should. I then ejected it, played 1 song, and went to resynch; again, MC deleted every song before starting to transfer everything back over.
I have not recently edited any tag data.  Is the "Last Played" data factored in?  'Cause that changes automatically.

http://www.owlnet.rice.edu/~knight/iTunesDB

SteveG

« Reply #48 on: April 09, 2004, 03:43:42 pm »

Seviien,

Last Played time is only factored in when deciding whether to update the Rating in MC from iPod. It is not part of the logic of deciding what files to delete and transfer. Did you have 'Delete unselected files' checked? If so, are you sure that the selections in the tree did not change (perhaps so that none were selected)? Assuming your playlists selections did not change, please try again with Monday's build and we can go from there.

Steve

Seviien

• World Citizen
  • SteveG for President! :)
« Reply #49 on: April 09, 2004, 04:58:51 pm »

Initialized the ipod and tried it again. It's the same problem.  Not all the songs... in this case it was 112 of 125.  Deletion of non selected is enabled, but the content of the lists does not change that much, so that cannot be the answer.
Furthermore, i have removed all of the id3 tags from the files; it's just going on what MC has in the database - and yes the tags were wiped to begin with.
I'll see what's up with monday's build...
Have a nice weekend.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up