INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Internet radio problems  (Read 3011 times)

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Internet radio problems
« on: April 05, 2004, 12:08:40 am »

I'm once again having trouble with most WMA radio stations, but the symptoms are different.  Most WMA stations now just say "buffering" forever without ever playing (the "Radio Free Virgin..." sites seem to all do this now.)  Other issues that pop up less frequently are a "please select a file" message, and a "media not recognized" message.

I was able to find one or two stations to play that said they were WMA, but according to the file info they were WMV files (although they were audio only.)

All I know is that many of the "Radio Free Virgin..." sites used to work just fine -- I bookmarked some of them several weeks ago.  I don't know if the issue is due to these site or to MC, but I do know that these sites did work at one time.

Larry

pat1066

• World Citizen
Re:Internet radio problems
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2004, 09:53:59 am »

Yes, the ones MC sees as WMV seem to be "off" again - though I found that most of these had a low bitrate for that spell when they did work so I have imported mainly the ones it sees as MP3 or RAM. However, given the combination of flakey Stations and flakey MC support, I rarely know what will work and what won't!
Pat.
Pat.

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2004, 04:21:47 pm »

This thread was moved out of the "MC 10.x.xxx available" thread.  Isn't it considered a generally "serious" bug that such a large group of internet radion stations that are in the default MC list are once again not working?  I'm not clear about when to create a new thread, and when to put a bug report in the "MC 10.x.xxx available" thread.

I thought that issues that weren't true "bugs" were being moved out of the main bug thread, but if that's the case, why was this one moved?  Is this not considered a true bug?  If so, why not?

Thanks for any clarification on this,

Larry

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2004, 04:26:45 pm »

I'm not sure whether you've found a bug or not but anything that requires discussion should go in another thread.

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2004, 05:23:04 pm »

Should I post this to the main bug thread saying simply "wma radio stations aren't working correctly"?

Larry

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2004, 06:09:49 pm »

A link there to this thread would be enough.

But I've already asked the team to take a look at this.

The problem we have is that Windows Media streams don't always report what media type they are, so we have to guess sometimes.

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2004, 08:55:57 pm »

Thanks -- I'll let you know if new versions still have this issue or not.

Larry

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2004, 04:41:39 am »

WMA radio stations are working again with the 107 build (like the "Radio Free Virgin" stations.)  I didn't really see anything in the "fix list" that would explain this, but something must have changed to fix this.

Larry

UPDATE/CORRECTION:  One system works, the other doesn't.  I can't figure out what is different between them.  They are different systems, but the configuration is, as far as I know, basically the same.

Larry

cryst

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2004, 01:37:58 pm »

It's not fixed for me.  I can't get any of the Radio Free Virgin stations to play.

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2004, 03:45:03 pm »

It's not fixed for me.  I can't get any of the Radio Free Virgin stations to play.

That's interesting -- are you using the 107 build?

Larry

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2004, 07:43:16 pm »

UPDATE/CORRECTION:  One system still does NOT work with this build on wma radio stations.  I can't figure out why anything would be different between the two systems.  As far as I know, the configuration is the same.  Both systems play the mp3 and other stations just fine, but almost all wma stations refuse to work on the one system -- they just say "buffering" forever.

I'll keep looking for some difference between the systems that would explain this, but so far everything looks the same.

Please let me know if there's anything I should check.

Thanks,

Larry

edbro

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2004, 08:13:03 pm »

I don't know what type stream all the Virgin Radio streams are but they do not work for me. It just says "Buffering" but never plays. This is on a cable connection.

nivw

• World Citizen
  • "I m singing in the rain, na na nanana..."
Web media shows the start page
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2004, 08:18:35 pm »

I can't get the radio page.
I've upgraded to 108
how do I fix it?

Niv

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2004, 12:03:29 am »

I don't know what type stream all the Virgin Radio streams are but they do not work for me. It just says "Buffering" but never plays. This is on a cable connection.

I tried MC on four systems now -- two of them play the "Radio Free Virgin..." stations (wma stations), and two of them do not.  I am simply at a loss as to what the difference is that is causing this, but I'll keep trying to figure it out.  Based on the other reports here, it seems like my 2 systems that DO play these stations are the exception.

The two systems that don't play these stations continue to say either "buffering" or "waiting," but they still don't play even after several minutes.

Larry

GHammer

• MC Beta Team
  • Stereotypes are a real timesaver!
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2004, 10:35:03 am »

For Virgin Radio, I can only get the MP3 streams to play.
The ogg streams either say waiting or buffering until they timeout and I am given the 'Couldn't play last selections' error.

If I immediately play the stream with Winamp 5 they play fine.

http://ogg.smgradio.com/vc32.ogg
or
http://ogg.smgradio.com/vr32.ogg

nivw

• World Citizen
Power to the ppl - vorbis stream
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2004, 02:18:24 pm »

I also tried playing  vorbis tream, and couldn't.
winamp plays it fine toghow.

Niv

Endymion

• Recent member
  • I am who I have always been
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2004, 01:52:13 am »

Radio Paradise 128k hasn't worked for ages and even though I posted about it a long time ago, it hasn't been fixed.

nivw

• World Citizen
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2004, 10:28:04 am »

any news here?
Pages: [1]   Go Up