INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Media Server and Rip CD Command  (Read 1514 times)

Branxx

• Recent member
Media Server and Rip CD Command
« on: April 13, 2004, 01:46:48 pm »

I want to run a Media Server on a house server stored in the cellar. There are three clients and all of them have Import Media, Rip CD disabled in their Tools menu (MC10.0.112). Each client uses only the remote library (it is the only entry in Library Manager list).

However, when I insert a CD into one of the client machines, MC offers to rip CD in Action Window. More confusing is that the files do end up on the server, but the server library is unaware of them until I run MC on the server machine, import the files, and exit MC on the server.

Once the client libraries are reloaded, the newly ripped music becomes available.

Is this how client/server is supposed to work and if it is why does it have to be so convoluted?

Otherwise, is there a simpler approach?

John Gateley

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Nice haircut
Re:Media Server and Rip CD Command
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2004, 02:43:31 pm »

Hi Branxx,

I'm not sure what you mean by "all of them have Import Media, Rip CD disabled". If Rip CD is disabled, it just means there's no CD in the drive.

Ripping the CD places the music on the disk, but only modifies the client's library. These changes are lost when you close the client. That's why you have to re-import the music on the server machine. We're working on making this better.

j

Branxx

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2004, 05:04:55 pm »

The Rip CD option in the Tools menu is inactive (grayed). This is even the case while at the same time Action Window is offering Rip CD option. It is there where I stated disk rip.

Client has only one library defined, the remote server. I have explicitly deleted its default library. Does a client created local library on the fly?

If the CD ripping supposed to be desabled (along with media import, acquire images and burn CD options). If the idea is that clients should not be changing the remote library, i.e. the librabry is read-only to the client, why are options like rename files from properties enabled?

Is there an explanation of the concepts behing the Media Server?

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2004, 05:13:42 pm »

Sorry, the action window shouldn't be doing that. It'll be fixed.

j

Branxx

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2004, 05:28:55 pm »

So, are the clients suppose to have read-only access to the server's databale?

If so does that mean that the new material can only be added on the server only? This is higly incoveniet in my case, as the server is three floors down in the cellar. Not a pleasant place to speant time ripping CDs.

xen-uno

• Checking your hard disk for errors...
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2004, 07:50:16 pm »

Essentially that is correct. MS "serves" it's library to the clients and as such the library is read only. That also implies that updates to the library can only be made at the server (and there is no client to server communication link to tell it to do so). What kind of a cellar? If it were of the wine variety, I would think it would be a great place to rip and get ripped....but that's just me.

10-27

Branxx

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2004, 12:51:15 am »

If clients are supposed to have read-only access than there are many places iwhere MC needs to enforce that view.

For example: all playlist fields are editable (like song name, artists, genre, album name); then database view are edatable; playlist can still be changed; several file->library commands are active (update, clear); library tools etc.

On the other hand why is Burn a CD or DVD inactive on a client, but copy to handheld device is available. Does copy to CD requires write access to the library?

On a separate note, can the MC server run as Windows service process so it gets started automatically on ower up. At present I need to log in to start the media server and then remain logged in in order for it to remain available?
Pages: [1]   Go Up