INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Automatically filing  (Read 1468 times)

xian

• Recent member
  • Karl Marx's grave is just another communist plot
Automatically filing
« on: April 14, 2004, 02:32:40 pm »

Can I have MC move my physical files based on the file properties (e.g. move files to an Artist/Album structure from a flat directory)?

paulr

• Citizen of the Universe
  • nothing more to say...
Re:Automatically filing
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2004, 02:59:18 pm »

Yes.  If you make sure all the file properties are correct (i.e. Artist/Album details in the library are correct).  Just use "Rename Files from Properties" and check to make sure the directory structure and file naming conventions are what you want.

This should create all the directories you want and move the files into them.

udeups

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2004, 03:01:37 pm »

Here's another vote for this. Essentially, it would do a "Rename file from properties..." using user-defined settings *every* time you changed one of those properties. Would this be possible as an option - maybe "keep files organized in Windows"

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2004, 03:01:54 pm »

Yes. You can find it in:
Tools>Library Tools>Rename Files From Properties

There are checkboxes for Directories and Filename. If the filenames are OK, then check just the Directories and fill or select options for the directory structure. MC will move the currently selected files.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

udeups

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2004, 03:29:47 pm »

Sorry, I didn't explain well enough. The idea would be that this would be done automatically without having to go through the Rename Files... step. My workflow involves a LOT of renaming files from properties after I fix album, artist, etc. It would be nice if this was done automatically as soon as I changed the name of an album, or artist name, etc....

pipsqueak

• "Actually, it's elementary, my dear Dawson!"
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2004, 03:33:11 pm »

udeups

its an interesting idea. doesnt currently exist. i think that it may yield some scary results. if i mistakenly categorize a bunch of files it takes long enough now to undo it, if the filenames were changed it would take even longer.

i too spend lots of time updating tag info. i just wait until ive done a lot then get mc to update my entire set of files. it trawls thorough and only updates what's been changed. im happy running it manually every week or so.

pip

paulr

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2004, 03:35:38 pm »

That would only be OK if it was an option.  In 99% of my library, I use a logical artist/album filing scheme.  However, for various reasons, that last 1% I keep stored differently and I would not want changes being made automatically.

Personally, I don't mind using the Rename function manually.  I use it from time to time, but when ripping my own CDs it's not an issue.  I generally only use it when importing files from etree.org or when a CD isn't found in YADB.

udeups

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2004, 03:45:54 pm »

Oh, I definitely agree that this should only be an option. But for those of us who use Rename Files from Properties very often, it would be a welcome option to have. I believe iTunes does this kind of behavior automatically.
Pages: [1]   Go Up