INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Making subdirectories from Genre tag  (Read 761 times)

davero

• nothing more to say...
Making subdirectories from Genre tag
« on: May 02, 2004, 10:30:43 am »

I've used 2-tier Genre naming for years in Media Jukebox (like Rock\80s, Rock\Hard, Jazz\Fusion, etc).  Have to with thousands of songs.  In Jukebox the [Genre]\[Artist] - [Album] location rule did a good job of creating or using a subdirectory of 80's within the Rock directory, for example.

Now I find that Media Center will instead create a single directory of Rock_80s\...  

Is there any way to get the old subdirectory method back?

Thanks;

Chris Shaw

• Galactic Citizen
Re:Making subdirectories from Genre tag
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2004, 05:25:09 pm »

MC now automatically converts any characters that can't be used in flenames into underscores. It used to be a pain to get cover art for albums with question marks in them. Probably the best thing for you to do is to make a new field called Subgenre, then fill properties from filenames with the directory rule set to [Genre]\[SubGenre]. This should convert all your existing tracks to having Genre and Subgenre. Then you can use this same rule for renaming new tracks.

davero

• nothing more to say...
Re:Making subdirectories from Genre tag
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2004, 07:25:25 am »

I suspected Media Center would no longer allow this.  SubGenre is not really a valid field\data model because it's a child of genre & it would be a mess to piece together what my valid sub-genres are within a particular genre.  Back to JukeBox 8.
Pages: [1]   Go Up