INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dual-platform IDEA!!!  (Read 1830 times)

8thNote

• Junior Woodchuck
Dual-platform IDEA!!!
« on: May 05, 2004, 03:43:22 pm »

I've posted before about the desire to share my music library across platforms like iTunes does. I hate iTunes but I love Media Center.

I'm wondering if someone could port a "Media Center Client" to both major platforms (Windows and OS X) that can access MediaServer. I have both Mac and Windows computers at my desk, and most of my co-workers are on Macs. They loved me for sharing my music library via iTunes, but I despise that program. I'm also considering switching from MP3 to Ogg but that would kill iTunes.

This could also be a nice promotional tool. A completely free Media Center client that will access local Media Servers hosted through Media Center. The Client app could be just a simple library and playlist browser with the ability to stream what MC is currently playing or stream the music of their choice (like iTunes).

Thoughts?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re:Dual-platform IDEA!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2004, 05:29:59 pm »

We would love to support Mac OSX and Linux.  Maybe some day.

cascius

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2004, 07:23:20 pm »

Yes, Linux would be sweet. I'm considering moving to linux in the next few weeks. This would meen no more MC for me  :'(

Nah, j/k, I have to put together a cheap ass computer to run my music library anyway.

-Cascius

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2004, 02:40:04 am »

I hate iTunes but I love Media Center.

hate is a strong word !!

What is it u hate bout iTunes ? and how does MC overcome this ?

i havent used iTunes at all.

mGee

• Recent member
  • It's like...
Re: Dual-platform IDEA!!!
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2005, 04:50:38 pm »

I also despise itunes and also am beginning to dislike the windows envirnment altogether. I hope to jump ship at some point and get an Apple G5. I've got a powerbook and find myself only wanting to work in that environment. It's just so much more stable than windows is.

I think it would be a wise decision for JRiver to decide on supporting OS X as well. Currently the only option mac users have for a player/database is itunes. There is an open-source alternative named skitunes which has a long way to go before even approaching what itunes does and I don't think that they are going to succeed with it.

MAC users desperately NEED an alternative.

As to why someone wouldn't be satisfied with itunes. The biggest reason is lack of customizable fields and the smartlists are actually very limited.

Please give OS X some serious thought.

modelmaker

Re: Dual-platform IDEA!!!
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2005, 06:31:14 pm »

Here's another vote for Win2K. And I'll be sticking with MC, I guess I just won't be able to upgrade if and when support for Win2K stops.
Jay.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans"     John Lennon.
Pages: [1]   Go Up