INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Semi-OT: UK Media shopping list  (Read 1501 times)

xian

• Recent member
  • Karl Marx's grave is just another communist plot
Semi-OT: UK Media shopping list
« on: May 07, 2004, 09:08:58 am »

Wanting to tap the knowledge of the board:

I am about to move back to the UK from the US and will need to buy new Media toys. Specifically, I shall need TV, amp, HTPC, 5.1 speakers etc,

Can anyone suggest models/stores in the US for anything that can work over there too or models/shops in the UK for things that will need to be bought over there.

Thanks a lot

Sir Alan

• Junior Woodchuck
Re:Semi-OT: UK Media shopping list
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2004, 10:10:46 am »

TV, VCR, DVD: buy it in UK - the system is entirely different.  Be aware that the UK is Region 2 for DVDs while the US is Region 1, so you would have to buy a player that will play both indefinitely.

FM receiver: be sure that it covers the right frequency range - about 88 to 108.

Computer: you can easily replace the power supply, but watch out for peripherals which may not like the UK mains.

Anything that runs on mains electricity: be sure that it can run on UK supply - 230-240VAC 50Hz.  Buying new external power supplies or voltage convertors for all your gadgets becomes expensive.

All in all, even though the UK tends to be rather more expensive, the hassle of trying to run US equipment in the UK is hardly worth it.  I have sold many voltage convertors to US citizens living temporarily in the UK, and most had already blown up at least one costly piece of kit.

Customs Duty:  Beware of buying new kit in the US and bringing it straight to the UK - you will probably be charged import duty and VAT (which, with shipping costs, will more than wipe out any savings).  As a rough rule, you must have lived outside the UK for more than 12 months, owned and used the goods for more than 6 months, and do not dispose of them for 12 months after importing them.  See http://www.hmce.gov.uk/forms/notices/3.htm#P254_18043
"Progress just makes bad things happen faster" – Granny Weatherwax

xian

• Recent member
  • Karl Marx's grave is just another communist plot
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2004, 11:40:37 am »

Thanks a lot for this.

Any specific suggestions for shops in the UK or a model of HTPC that comes highly recommended?

IanG

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2004, 12:25:20 pm »

Have a look at Novatech - http://www.novatech.co.uk.  I don't remember seeing a specific HTPC in their catalogue, but they'll build to customer spec and their prices are very competitive (for the UK!).

Ian G.

Sir Alan

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2004, 03:23:27 pm »

There are plenty of suppliers on-line - dabs.com is pretty reliable for computer bits and pieces, for instance.  PC World is popular but expensive.  As far as TVs etc are concerned, I would prefer to see before buying; find your nearest retail park or shopping mall and take a look around Currys, Dixons (I said look, not necessarily buy!), Comet and a host of others   In most big retail parks you will be spoilt for choice.  You could also look at catalogue shops such as Argos and Index, but the choice is usually limited and as with on-line shopping you will not get to see it working.  Even some of the supermarkets have bargains which can be worth investigating, provided you don't mind brands nobody has ever heard of.

Don't buy any extra insurance they offer with the product unless it's free - it's where they make most of their profits and is usually very poor value.  Argos tried to sell me a three year extended warranty for £10 on an item costing £12 (which was guaranteed for 12 months by the manufacturer anyway).

Always pay by credit card (not charge card): under UK law the credit card company is responsible for most larger purchases if the supplier defaults.

Interest-free purchase schemes can also be good if the price is right as you get the same protection from the finance company should the supplier go belly-up or refuse to co-operate, but be sure to pay it off before the deadline as they may charge swingeing interest rates and hefty early redemption fees as soon as the interest-free period expires.
"Progress just makes bad things happen faster" – Granny Weatherwax

graham131

• Galactic Citizen
  • Yadb (get it?) dabba do.....
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2004, 06:27:06 pm »

A good computer and media price site to reference others in the uk is:

www.ebuyer.co.uk

Pages: [1]   Go Up