INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Audible files are not importing properly  (Read 1728 times)

LeoH

• World Citizen
Audible files are not importing properly
« on: May 10, 2004, 11:49:27 pm »

I've search for posts but did not find any references to the problem I now have. It has been some time (maybe even since late last fall) that I have tried to manage Audbile.com files in MC. For the last month when I renewed my efforts to import my library of Audible books, I have had serious problems.

Specifically, when directed to import a folder containing the .aa files, MC reads the files and reports finding and importing (in my case) 177 files (I have been a subscriber to Audible for a long time). Previous to about version 10.127, MC would crash half way through importing this folder. At any rate, once imported, the name tag contains the entire file name (used to show the proper name of the title). Also no album or author tag info is displayed. Interestingly, the duration tag seems to read correctly.

The files imported okay with the tags reading correctly in much earlier beta versions of MC 10. Also, I had entered genre info (business books, fiction, science, etc.) and those hand entered tags do not display.

Audible Manager is not running when I have tried importing into MC 10 nor is iTunes manager running. However, both AM and iTunes list the Audible library properly and display appropriate tag info.

Audible files play in MC10 and the bookmark feature works when titles are stopped and replayed later. When files play, an Audible popup window appears titled "Section Navigation". This window also appears (flashing with each import) as .aa files are imported, if this is of any help.

All of the above testing is on a new P4 Intel Mo'board using the 865 chipset with a clean install. System info is below:

Media Center Registered 10.0.132 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center\

Microsoft Windows XP 5.1 Service Pack 1 (Build 2600)
Intel Pentium 4 2973 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 1047 MB, Free - 701 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2800.1106 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82 (xpsp1.020828-1920) / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2800.1400 / Shell32.dll: 6.00.2800.1348 (xpsp2.040109-1800) / wnaspi32.dll: N/A

Ripping /   Drive J: SONY    DVD RW DRU-500A   Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: Yes /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
  Eject after ripping: Yes /  Play sound after ripping: No  

Burning /  Drive J: SONY     DVD RW DRU-500A    Addr: 3:0:0  Speed:24  MaxSpeed:24  BurnProof:Yes
  Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: Yes
  Use playback settings: No /  Normalization: None

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re:Audible files are not importing properly
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2004, 08:59:13 am »

Maybe one file is causing this?

Try separating the files into several directories and import one directory at a time.

If you can find a file that causes a crash, we'd like to see it.

SteveG

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2004, 09:11:09 am »

LeoH,

We used to use Real player to import Audible files, but Audible no longer supports this. We now use Windows Media Player which is supported by Audible and the importing behavior you see should be consistent with how Audible files are imported by WMP. It is not as robust as it was. Hopefully Audible will improve this.

Steve

LeoH

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2004, 12:10:17 am »

Steve,

This does not seem to be the entire problem (WMA instead of Real). When MC10 imports the files I see the file name in the name field, for instance: "AgainstAllEnemies_acelp16_lhoarty" when I should see "Against All Enemies". I do not see the authors name but I do see the duration, "06:14:19" in this case. When played in Windows Media Player, I see the proper name "Against All Enemies", I see the author's name "Richard A. Clarke" and I see the duration.

This computer (Toshiba M200 laptop) as well as my desk machine (detailed in previous post) are both enabled for Audible playback. AM, WMA, and MC10 all play the Audible files fine on both machines but the tag display info is the same on both. Any ideas? Thanks.

-Leo

SteveG

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2004, 10:03:53 am »

Leo,

I mispoke when I said we use WMP for importing. We actually use DirectX and do not have a way to import tag information. This explains the problem, and we will look at it and try to come up with a fix.

Steve

LeoH

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2004, 03:26:42 pm »

Steve,

Well, that explains it. If there is anything I can do to help, please let me know. Thanks.

Leo

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2004, 04:37:41 pm »

I've always noticed the tag issues with aa files -- the first thing I have to do after importing them is to go through and edit all the fields.  The big problem for me occured when I moved the files to a new system and re-imported the files -- all my tag information for all those files suddenely vanished due to the fact that MC only stores these tag changes in the library and not in the files themselves.  The workaround that someone here suggested was to export an mpl playlist of these files, then copy the files to the correct location and import the playlist rather than the files.  This worked, and I now had the aa files imported WITH the edited tags.

It would be nice if MC could edit and save tag info in the actual files, but I'm not sure if this is possible.  In the mean time, the mpl playlist workaround at least prevents me from having to re-edit a LOT of tags.

Larry
Pages: [1]   Go Up