INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I cannot play Real Media  (Read 7805 times)

SAMer

• Recent member
  • Change this by choosing profile
I cannot play Real Media
« on: May 11, 2004, 02:50:03 pm »

Hello guys,
I'm new around here 8), so... easy on me  ;D

I just installed MC 10.0*, but I cannot play any Real Media with it. Real Player is also installed, in case you're wondering. When I try to play a Real Media file, MC gives me the following message: "Please select file(s) to play."

I'm still evaluating MC 10, and the ability to play and convert Real Audio is very important to me.

Thanks,
SAMer

* I'm not sure which build is it, but it's the one on download.com

akak718

• Junior Woodchuck
Re:I cannot play Real Media
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2004, 03:23:52 pm »

I too am having this problem. I've been using Media Center/Jukebox since video playback was first added and never had this problem before. I don't know if the source of the problem is with Media Center 10 or if it is the new Real Player 10.

And the problem goes beyond what SAMer said. Media Center will also not import any new Real Media files. However, files that are already in my library from before this problem started will play just fine. I will do some more experimentation ove rthe next few days, but it would be great if someone on the Media Center team could take a look.

Shelly

• Citizen of the Universe
  • I love listening to music with Media Center!
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2004, 09:35:36 pm »

Exact same problem here with at least build .132 and .133.  I can play a streaming RM file but if I download it and try to play it locally, I get the same "Please select file(s) to play."  

edbro

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2004, 10:15:08 pm »

Actually, that is the same message I was given when I tried to listen to a web radio station. I thought it had a bad url, I guess I was wrong.

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=21386

SAMer

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2004, 11:01:57 pm »

I reported this as a bug to be considered in the next updates. I really hope this will be fixed before my evaluation ends. I have so many files in Real format, and I want to make sure I can edit them with MC. (crossing my fingers)

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2004, 11:40:12 pm »

I thought that I would mention to you that I can play local Real Media files without problems (ones that exist on my hard drives).  This is true now, and has been since the early version 10 builds.  I have a number of .ra, .rm, and .rmvb files all of which play fine from inside MC.  So, if you were talking about playing local files, this problem is not true of everyone.

I now use Real Alternative as opposed to Real One on my system, so it is possible that it could be a conflict with a newer version of Real's software ... But, I did once use Real One, and it worked fine.  (I would suggest you check out Real Alternative though, and get that spyware laden stuff off of your computer).

However, when using MC to play streaming files (if that is what you are referring to) I do have problems.

See this thread:  http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=20258

In that case (both with Windows Media and Real files) I too get the dreaded "Select file to play" dialog.

I really wonder what is causing these problems, as it doesn't seem to be everyone.  In fact, I am quite sure a number of people on this forum use MC to play streamed and local Windows Media and Real files all the time ... Hmmmm.   ?
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

SAMer

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2004, 12:05:11 am »

hmm.. I replaced Real Player with Real Alternative, but still.. this thing is not working. By the way, glynor, read what akak718 wrote. His case makes it even more "interesting".

graham131

• Galactic Citizen
  • Yadb (get it?) dabba do.....
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2004, 04:56:02 am »

Hi There,

I have the same problem with streaming Real Audio radio stations.  For example Radio 2 in the UK

Shelly

• I love listening to music with Media Center!
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2004, 09:33:44 am »

I also replaced RealPlayer with Real Alternative.  Thank you the info on the RealPlayer alternative.  As before, I can play streaming videos from the net but not when the files are saved locally.

akak718

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2004, 11:31:26 am »

I thought that I would mention to you that I can play local Real Media files without problems (ones that exist on my hard drives).  This is true now, and has been since the early version 10 builds.  I have a number of .ra, .rm, and .rmvb files all of which play fine from inside MC.  So, if you were talking about playing local files, this problem is not true of everyone.

Glynor,

As I said earlier, I too can play the large selection of Real Media files I already have. These files have been in my media center library since before version 10. However, I can not import any new RM files, nor can I play files that are on my hard drive but not in my library. Try downloading a new file that media center doesn't already know about and see if you can play that.

SAMer

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2004, 01:55:21 pm »

akak718: if i may ask, what were using before this problem started with you? MC9 & Real Player 10 or what? I'll try the combination of software that played those RM files for you, i'll convert my RM files, then i'll upgrade.

by the way, is there any customer service contact?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2004, 01:59:58 pm »

by the way, is there any customer service contact?
This is it.

SAMer

• Recent member
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2004, 10:41:06 pm »

Hi Jim.. thanks for replying. OK, since this is it: does JRiver know about this problem? are you guys working on it? is it a problem with our codecs? is it something with MC? or Real Player? it's really confusing me. a word from you guys saying that you've identified this problem and will solve it will be great for a pontential customer.

Thanks much

akak718

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2004, 10:37:44 am »

SAMer,

I did not have this problem when I was using MC 9.1 (any build) and RealOne Player.

Then I upgraded to MC 10 and RealPlayer 10 around the same time because I had to completely re-install my computer. I didn't try to play any new Real Media content for a while, just stuff that MC already knew about, so I don't know if the problem started when I installed MC10 or RP10. It was only a week or 2 ago that I tried to add some new files to my library and found that they won't import or play.

Unfortunately, I've been pretty busy so I haven't had a chance to go back and figure out which combinations work and which don't. But I suspect that the problem is in MC, because I did try uninstalling RP10 and used RealAlternative instead and had the same problem.

Jim,

Have you guys been able to at least reproduce this problem yet?

-Lou

RemyJ

« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2004, 01:05:39 pm »

Local Real Media files aren't working for me either.   Import doesn't recognize them.

It broke sometime after build 112.  

Fedora 38 x86_64 Xfce

chuck chunder

• Recent member
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2004, 04:05:59 am »

Same problem here. Installed Media Center 10 and Real Audio 8 to a new PC.  Get the Select Files To Play msg whn I click on any Real files on my hard drive. Would be 'comforting' to know that J River recognise the problem and are working on it.
chuck

SAMer

• Recent member
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2004, 05:02:20 pm »

It broke sometime after build 112.  

I dowloaded build 110 from the FTP server, and it still doesn't work.

zak326

• Recent member
  • consultant
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2004, 08:20:29 pm »

I hada similar problem and think I figured it out. It seems that sometimes the types of media you have listed asplaying in MC and the advance choices under the import segment do not always stay in sync.  Also updates can change the balance between the players and yuou may need   update your library appropriately. also one other thing in Realplayer choices make sure uyou do not check the box to always play real media with the real player. And make sure you have the latest real player  They've just made some changes that can help.

I don't think this anyone's fault or a totally fixable situation. Everybody's  trying to keep with the evolving technology and this stuff happens. I think the real key is that box in realplayer, it seems to somehow unlock the files if it is unchecked.

Nikolay

• Former CTO, JRiver, Inc.
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2004, 11:15:21 am »

This bug will be fixed in the next build.

Nikolay

SAMer

• Recent member
:-)
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2004, 02:21:06 pm »

Finally.. the news we wanted to hear!
Thanks much,
SAMer

jplumey

• Recent member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2004, 09:36:14 am »

This bug will be fixed in the next build.

Nikolay

I just downloaded the latest build (138) and this is still a problem. Can anyone else confirm that this has been fixed?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2004, 09:40:24 am »

The build you need hasn't been released yet.  Should be today.

jplumey

• Recent member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2004, 11:09:07 am »

Excellent...will be looking for it anxiously! Thanks for the rapid response.

SAMer

• Recent member
Oh Yeaaah
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2004, 11:17:44 am »

Great work! Thanks much guys.

by the way, RM audio files are not listed with the rest under "Audio Files" in the library. Actually, they're listed as Video.  ?  ?

PS: when upgrading, make sure you uninstall the older build before intalling the new one. Importing RM worked for most files, but not for some at first. I had to unistall the older build to get MC to play everything.

akak718

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2004, 12:01:25 pm »

I think MC determines if a file is Audio or Video based on the filename extension, in this case, rm.  But rm is generally considered to be video. Try renaming your audio files to .ra (RealAudio) and I bet it will work.

SAMer

• Recent member
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2004, 12:14:07 pm »

Those files' extention is .ram; however, i changed it to .ra and i still have the same problem. MC treats them as video.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2004, 12:22:32 pm »

You can edit the media type in properties.

SAMer

• Recent member
« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2004, 12:49:33 pm »

Perfect. Thanks Jim.

jplumey

• Recent member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2004, 01:29:34 pm »

Works good for me too. The only thing that is a little strange is that I get an error message during playback at the very beginning complaining about Visualizations not being available for this type.

It works fine, it is just a little eye-sore.

chuck chunder

• Recent member
« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2004, 03:31:27 pm »

Sorry to spoil the party but it doesn't work for me. I uninstalled 10.0.137 and installed 10.0.139 (I did not uninstall library files).
I have a RealAudio file (extension ".ra") that RealPlayer 8 has no trouble playing. MediaCentre still did not recognise it. I had not imported the file into my library - just trying to play it from a drive location. I have MC file associations set to All files. After some button pushing I imported it into my library. MC still won't play it. I Udated Tags From Filename and MC decided it is a video file. I can't see how to change media type in Properties as suggested - when I click on File Properties, File Type Info, it tells me Compression: RA, an underneath that it says "n/a".  Any ideas? ?
chuck

chuck chunder

• Recent member
« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2004, 03:39:00 pm »

oh I get it - you change Media Type in the box that says Media Type.... duh! - Works fine now - sorry for wasting anyone's time ;D
chuck

SAMer

• Recent member
« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2004, 06:40:16 pm »

Works good for me too. The only thing that is a little strange is that I get an error message during playback at the very beginning complaining about Visualizations not being available for this type.

It works fine, it is just a little eye-sore.

jplumey: If MC plays Real Audio as video, it's normal to open it in full screen. You can change this though, but i'd suggest you first make sure that MC treats RA files as audio. If this is the problem, please read JimH's last reply on this thread.

If you don't want MC to open in full view go to:
tools >> options >> general. Under behavior: change "jump on play option". You'll have a buch of options there; choose whatever suits you best.

let us know if it worked. :)

akak718

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2004, 01:09:34 pm »

Actually, I don't think jplumey's problem has anything to do with the "jump on play option." I see this one too, but I always just ignored it and never thought more about it.

Even when playing a .RM video file, where you do want MC to jump to a view where you can actually see the video (doesn't matter if its full screen, or "Playing Now", or the littel video window used in theater mode), before the video starts you will always see the error message that jplumey mentioned.

Like he said, its not really a problem, but it is ugly and annoying.

jplumey

• Recent member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #33 on: May 25, 2004, 09:56:39 pm »

Quote from: akak718
Like he said, its not really a problem, but it is ugly and annoying.
[quote

Yes, he's got the point of what I was trying to say. Ugly and annoying perfectly describe it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up