INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: WHAT other program?!?  (Read 6842 times)

edbro

• Citizen of the Universe
WHAT other program?!?
« on: May 16, 2004, 03:33:39 pm »

Every now and then I get the following message:
"Server Busy. This action can not be completed because the other program is busy. Choose "Switch To" to activate the other program..."

What other program? When I choose "Switch to" it just pops up my start menu. Right now MC is stuck in a loop because I don't know what to switch to and the cancel button is not activated.

Also, what server? I don't run Media Server. I get this message on startup of MC (mediajukebox.exe).

EpF

Re:WHAT other program?!?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2004, 04:29:12 pm »

I recognise this problem too, though I can't remember what has caused it on my computer.  It has happened to me a number of times with exactly the problem edbro has...

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2004, 04:32:17 pm »

Any third party plug-ins installed?

EpF

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2004, 04:35:27 pm »

KingSparta's MD5 Master, Playing Now and Write Playing...

edbro

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2004, 04:36:32 pm »

Yes. I have:

aTagger
Sparta's Lyrics Finder
Sparta's Bio Finder
Sparta's Bios and Lyrics Viewer
Sparta's The Master

Chris Shaw

• Galactic Citizen

edbro

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2004, 05:14:31 pm »

I read that but it says it is specific to Winnt, Win 95 and Win 98. I run XP Pro. Also, Media Center is the only program that I get this with. Plus, it seems to be a MC dialog box.

The knowledge base article is on how to prevent this message from the program's design, not for the end user to fix. Also, it references Foxpro. Is the database for MC written in Foxpro? I don't know. In any case, this points to the design of the program, not what the user should do.

EpF

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2004, 09:53:25 pm »

Just confirming that my circumstances are exactly the same as edbro's last post, except that I'm not computer literate enough to even try to understand the MS info page beyond the intro bit...

?

darkAngelChild

• Recent member
  • I might be a porcupine.
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2004, 03:11:43 am »

Do you have a Zen installed?
If so, do you have it connected via Notmad explorer when you receive this error?

For me I get this error every time without fail when I have my Creative Zen installed and connected. It gives that error then one by one all plugin creations fail and the program goes horribly wrong.

jleerigby

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2004, 03:23:21 am »

Before JR spend any time on this you'll need to stop all third part plug ins via plug in manager and confirm that the problem still happens.

EpF

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2004, 03:42:01 pm »

Hmmm...  Though I get this problem on an ongoing basis, it doesn't happen very often, and I can't remember what conditions have lead to it.  I just joined this discussion because I recognised the problem, and it is very frustrating when it happens.  Next time it happens I will do as JLee suggests...

bebop

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2004, 03:55:58 pm »

I get this same msg when I first connect the Nomad.  I just keep hitting retry until it goes away...not very technical, and a wee bit annoying, but it works for me!  this also happend when I was using Creative MediaCenter.  I think it might have something to do with accessing the library on the Nomad ( I have 60 gig of stuff on there).  It also happens if I forget to switch to another area rather than Nomad when I close MC and then re-open it.  
Just installed the latest Nomad plug in, and no longer get this msg, just a nice Please Wait msg.

edbro

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2004, 08:56:14 pm »

Well, obviously I am not the only person getting this error. The thing is that it doesn't not happen frequently. I am not going to uninstall all my plugins for a couple of weeks waiting for it to happen again just so JRiver will look at the problem. The problem is there, look at it now. From the plugins that I listed and the ones EpF listed, it doesn't look like it is linked to any plugin.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2004, 09:02:23 pm »

Try disabling all plugins and see if you have the problem.  

Buellie

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2004, 09:04:38 pm »

I Get That Error All The Time When Running Quickbooks...What I Have To Do In Quickbooks Is Disable Their Updater Program And Re-Load It When I Need To Do An Update (Very Infrequent Now Being Its The 2000 Version)..And I Get It On Every Computer I Run QuickBooks On...(3 At The Moment)...
You Have Any Programs Looking To Do An Update?

edbro

« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2004, 12:57:20 pm »

Okay, it just happened again with NO plugins loaded.

At the time I had Rio MusicManager and Outlook loaded. I shut down all loaded programs and MC still wanted me to switch to this "other" program. Darn it! What other program?? When I select "Switch To" all it does is pop up my start menu as shown above.

This is a bug. If you can't fix the bug, please activate the cancel button. As it is now, I have to shut down MC from the task manager.

------------
Media Center Registered 10.0.139 -- C:\Program Files\J River Media Center\

Microsoft Windows XP  Workstation 5.1 Service Pack 1 (Build 2600)
AMD Athlon 529 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 457 MB, Free - 109 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2800.1106 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82 (xpsp1.020828-1920) / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2800.1400 / Shell32.dll: 6.00.2800.1242 (xpsp2.030702-2125) / wnaspi32.dll: N/A
Ripping /   Drive E: TOSHIBA DVD-ROM SD-R2212  Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: Yes /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
  Eject after ripping: Yes /  Play sound after ripping: No  

Burning /  Drive E: TOSHIBA  DVD-ROM SD-R2212   Addr: 1:0:0  Speed:1  MaxSpeed:16  BurnProof:Yes
  Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: No
  Use playback settings: No /  Normalization: None

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2004, 01:26:42 pm »

Ed,
It may be a bug, but please keep an open mind about whose bug.

Are your files on a server?

edbro

« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2004, 01:41:48 pm »

No, my files are on an external HD with a USB 2.0 interface.

I don't know whose bug this is but in 20 years of computing, the only time I have ever seen this message is with MC.  

True, this is frustrating but I really do love MC.

LonWar

« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2004, 01:57:44 pm »

I have seen that error when I'm running to many Access queries at work...

Maybe a memory issue?
-

JimH

• Administrator

edbro

« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2004, 02:22:56 pm »

Okay, maybe I am pointing a finger and I shouldn't be. But, I get this problem with MC only. From reading this thread, I am not the only one.

If it is not a bug with MC, how do I go about avoiding this? I just realized that bebop said he gets this when his Nomad is connected. This last time I got it I had my Rio Karma connected and Rio Musicmanager running. Could there be a link to this problem and handheld players being connected.

Maybe a Karma plugin would help? ;D (hint, hint)

Link

• World Citizen
  • Is that some kind of Eastern thing?
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2004, 02:49:25 pm »

Just FYI - I too have gotten this same error sporadically - and I have no portable devices, external drives, etc.  The only plug-ins I have running were 2 of Spartas, and the only other programs running were windows explorer, Internet explorer, and TivoBeacon.

SteveG

« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2004, 03:44:14 pm »

FYI,

cjdshaw correctly points out that this switch to / retry dialogue is generated from Windows when using OLE Automation, which is implemented for certain Nomad players and possibly the Karma as well as many other applications including MC. I corrected the problem for the Nomad by adding code to disable this box from appearing for devices when it is taking a while for OLE to initialize. OLE is initialized in a few places in MC and so if we can isolate what sequence of events is causing this to pop up for you, we can fix this.

edbro,

Make sure you are not running other applications which could be causing this box to pop up (remember, it is a generic Windows dialogue so it could be coming from another application). If you are only running MC, isolate exactly what you do prior to receiving the message and we can try to track it down.

Thanks,

Steve

edbro

« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2004, 04:15:57 pm »

Okay, I will try to find if it always happens with a common program. So far I don't see anything like that though.

It may be from another program as you say but the dialog box seems to be skinned just like my MC (see screenshot posted earlier) and it goes away when I kill the mediajukebox process.

dcpete

• World Citizen
  • Change this by choosing profile
Re: WHAT other program?!?
« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2004, 01:05:35 am »

I'm getting this message all the time.  It never used to happen.  I'm not sure what changed.  I do have my files on an external USB 2.0 drive.  I used to have my files on an internal drive.  It is very frustrating.  I'm running 10.0.173.  MediaCenter is the only program I have this problem with.....

Chris

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2004, 07:23:11 am »

Did you try a google search on the error message?

dcpete

• World Citizen
« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2004, 11:05:01 am »

I see lot's of "Server Busy" hits on Google, but none that seem related to this.  Let me be a little clearer.  This is a Media Center message that displays.  It's not a Windows message.  It happens when I try to move contents of folders to a different folder and it also happens when I select a target directory for converting files to MP3.  It's very consistant.  Happens every time I do those functions.  The message is -

Server Busy

This action cannot be completed because the other program is busy.  Choose 'Switch To ' to activate the busy program and correct the problem.

This message happens even when Media Center is the only program running.

If I do nothing, the message eventially goes away.  It seems like the thread priority is too high.  Is there some way to change that in MC?  I have a vague recollection that I messed around with thread priority in MC, but I can't seem to find the option...

Thanks, Chris

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2004, 11:34:46 am »

dcpete

• World Citizen
« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2004, 11:46:55 am »

This is a Visio patch.  I don't have Visio installed.  The registry updates they refer to, don't exist on my system.  Any other ideas?

The message seems identical.  It must be a Windows error message that MC is in turn, displaying.  As I said before, this is a message that Media Center is displaying, not windows per se.  I am running XP Home SP2.  I wonder if this problem coincides with the timeframe I upgraded to SP2?  The problem started happening a few months ago and I've just lived with it.

Chris

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2004, 11:48:45 am »

I think you need to keep searching on google.  That was the first one I found, and I think you'll find more.  It may be a Microsoft problem.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #30 on: December 16, 2004, 12:03:51 pm »

maybe re-install Sp2?
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

edbro

« Reply #31 on: December 16, 2004, 12:11:30 pm »

I used to get this error all the time with MC10 but since I went to MC11 I have not had it since.

dcpete

• World Citizen
« Reply #32 on: December 16, 2004, 12:16:10 pm »

OK.  I'll give MC 11 a try.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #33 on: December 16, 2004, 01:01:39 pm »

My Wife’s Computer always give me a error message when she boots up her MC "Media Center Scheduler Not Found" with a path to the old media center folder than no longer exists.

I still have never figured that out, and has had it from going from MC10 to MC11

Even after a full uninstall and re-install it persists

I have even went to the registry and wiped it clean of J River keys

It reminds me of a Friday the 13th movie, where the evil keeps coming back maybe I need a priest.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

dcpete

• World Citizen
« Reply #34 on: December 16, 2004, 02:42:04 pm »

edbro,

Thanks for the suggestion.  I'm no longer having the issues with MC 11 that I had with MC 10.

Chris
Pages: [1]   Go Up