INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JRiver Deskbar -- Update 4  (Read 3993 times)

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
JRiver Deskbar -- Update 4
« on: May 21, 2004, 04:20:13 pm »

There's a spiffy new desktop bar from JRiver that gives you quick access to your music (and lots of other useful stuff) at any time.

The latest version of the JRiver Deskbar can be downloaded here: ftp://ftp.jriver.com/pub/downloads/music/tmp/JRDeskbar104.exe

Update 4 Changes / Improvements:
1. NEW: Packaged in installer to simplify installation.
2. NEW: All commands loaded from XML files in the JRDeskbar directory. (please submit any nice command sets you create)

Installation:
1) Ensure that you have MC 10.0.134 or later installed.
2) Run the installer from above.
3) Right-click on taskbar / start menu area and choose Toolbars > JRiver DeskBar (some computers may require a few clicks or a restart for this to show up)
4) Turn off the system clock to save space since the JRiver bar doubles as a clock.

NOTE: If you have a previous Deskbar installed, first uninstall it using the directions in the previous thread.  This will only be required this upgrade -- since the install method changed. ( http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=21600 )

Uninstallation:
1) Go to Control Panel > Add or Remove Programs > JRiver Deskbar

Enjoy :)

DISCLAIMER: This component is a beta. It may not work.  It may not be available at a later date.  It may not remain free.  It may not be included with MC 10.  Use it at your own risk.  Copyright (C) 2004 JRiver, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
Re:JRiver Deskbar -- Update 4
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2004, 04:25:10 pm »

Make sure you install the file named JRDeskbar104.exe.  An older link was up for a little while.

Also, the second post here may still be helpful:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=21600

pank2002

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2004, 04:44:08 pm »

Care to release some kind of documentation... or even better make a wizard to add commands? That would be great.
Music is life... the rest is details.
Here is a security related website: secubi.dk

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2004, 04:54:03 pm »

We won't document it for a while.  We're not certain yet that we will release it.  It's still a little experimental.

LonWar

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2004, 05:04:38 pm »

This is really looking good guys!!

Any chance of the ability to change the font, color and back color??

Thanks
-

edbro

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2004, 05:35:47 pm »

I dumped all the xml files from Daves Quicksearch into the JRDeskbar folder but they don't seem to work. Is there a way to use these xml files? I tried a lot of them but most don't work. I did get Amazon search to work. Did you add it to JRDeskbar or is it picking up the xml from Dave's?

Also, my installation does not have the command tab any more. The only tabs I have are Playing Now and Calendar. I can't tell which commands are available.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2004, 05:43:03 pm »

I dumped all the xml files from Daves Quicksearch into the JRDeskbar folder but they don't seem to work. Is there a way to use these xml files? I tried a lot of them but most don't work. I did get Amazon search to work. Did you add it to JRDeskbar or is it picking up the xml from Dave's?

Also, my installation does not have the command tab any more. The only tabs I have are Playing Now and Calendar. I can't tell which commands are available.

It's not the same XML format as Dave's.

To see the list of available commands, click on the bar -- the list will popup.  Type any part of the command or category to filter the list and get to the one you want.

edbro

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2004, 05:45:51 pm »

Shoot, I got excited when I saw that you were using xmls. Is there a format specification for the xmls? I'd like to see if I could convert some of my favorites from Daves into JRiver format.

Thanks for adding Amazon!

edit:
Never mind. I see the format looking at the xmls you supplied. I will see if I can add some of these to the custom commands.xml. Do all the searches need to go into here or can they have their own xml?

edbro

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2004, 06:11:50 pm »

Okay, the first thing I did was to rename some of the default searches into something shorter.  Then I noticed that there is a name and a shortcut. Both seem to work but the shortcut doesn't show up in the menu. That is why I was renaming some of the longer names such as "Add to Playing Now" to "Append". I wouldn't have to do that if I could see what the shortcuts were.

Question: When I appended the song "All I Wanna Do" I got that plus another song named "Don't wanna lose you". I tried it with quotes around the phrase but I still got the unwanted song. Is there a way to get only what you type and not the sound alikes?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2004, 07:19:04 pm »

Okay, the first thing I did was to rename some of the default searches into something shorter.  Then I noticed that there is a name and a shortcut. Both seem to work but the shortcut doesn't show up in the menu. That is why I was renaming some of the longer names such as "Add to Playing Now" to "Append". I wouldn't have to do that if I could see what the shortcuts were.

You don't really need the shortcuts anymore.  Type any part of the command.  For example, "ad rock" adds rock. (the ad is enough to get the selection to "Add to Playing Now")

Question: When I appended the song "All I Wanna Do" I got that plus another song named "Don't wanna lose you". I tried it with quotes around the phrase but I still got the unwanted song. Is there a way to get only what you type and not the sound alikes?

It's like MC.  Use brackets like: ad [all i wanna do]

serf

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2004, 07:31:23 pm »

re: "To see the list of available commands, click on the bar -- the list will popup.  Type any part of the command or category to filter the list and get to the one you want." --

When I click on the bar, I get a blinking cursor only; no command list.  

Right clicking gets the calendar or playing now.

Charlemagne 8

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2004, 09:09:48 pm »

Uninstallation:
1) Go to Control Panel > Add or Remove Programs > JRiver Deskbar

Not an option.
That's right.
I'm cool.

edbro

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2004, 09:22:38 pm »

I think it is only an option for uninstalling this new version. It is there as an option for me. To uninstall the previous versions, you need to follow the instructions in the second post.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2004, 11:51:25 pm »

And if you don't see a command list when clicking in the box, you probably don't have the new version running.  Uninstall, reboot, and reinstall.

serf

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2004, 06:38:17 am »

Re: "Uninstall, reboot, and reinstall. ":

Done, but no help.

On closer inspection, when I click on the deskbar, it briefly flashes something above the bar and then just shows a blinking cursor in the middle of the bar.

Would it maKe a difference that I installed-it to d:\Program Files... ?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2004, 12:04:08 pm »

Re: "Uninstall, reboot, and reinstall. ":

Done, but no help.

On closer inspection, when I click on the deskbar, it briefly flashes something above the bar and then just shows a blinking cursor in the middle of the bar.

Would it maKe a difference that I installed-it to d:\Program Files... ?

It's very possible there's a bug.  What OS are you on?  We've only tested the latest version on XP so far.

serf

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2004, 12:59:18 pm »

XP (g)

edbro

Modification to Amazon Search
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2004, 05:06:29 pm »

With the standard Amazon search from the Deskbar, all I would get would be searches in the book section. I changed the command line to be "http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/external-search?mode=blended&keyword=" and now I get searches in all departments (including Music). The difference is the addition of "mode=blended&" in front of "keyword=".  Try it and see if it works for you. Heck, maybe the original search was working for you, but it wasn't for me.

Now, would somebody smarter than me write a search for www.imdb.com?

pank2002

« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2004, 05:08:06 am »

I think this would work:

<Command>
<Name>imdb</Name>
<Category>Web Search</Category>
<Shortcut>im</Shortcut>
<Type>COMMAND_TYPE_URL</Type>
<Param1>http://www.imdb.com/find?tt=on;nm=on;mx=20;q=[COMMAND]</Param1>
<CommandConversionFlags>1</CommandConversionFlags>