INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Popping when encoding  (Read 1780 times)

ebisudave

• Recent member
  • Change this by choosing profile
Popping when encoding
« on: May 29, 2004, 10:36:07 pm »

I recently downloaded the trial version of Media Center 10. I also bought a new CD, and ripped it using Media Center. Also, I'm using Windows XP.

The quality is terrible! All the songs make popping noises. I've experimented with different encoders (LAME and Windows Media), different bit rates (128 and 192 - I'd prefer to make it 192).

I can't see anywhere else to change settings.

I don't know if this is a Media Center 10 specific issue or one that existed with Media Center 9. I never used Media Center 9 to rip my previous CDs. This is my first time ripping a CD within MC. Before, I used MusicMatch Juke Box, which did a fantastic job of ripping everything with crystal clarity.

However, I would rather not have more than one MP3 music software on my machine. What does one do to get a decent ripping of a CD?

Dave G

Roar

• Recent member
Re:Popping when encoding
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2004, 05:47:22 pm »

Perhaps the popping sound is the result of ripping a CD with scratches or other defects?

You could try re-ripping one of the tracks that make popping noises, after changing the ripping method to "Secure".

Open Tools => Options...

Select Devices

Click Advanced Ripping Settings under Audio CD Rip (Copy)

Choose the relevant drive if there are multiple choices.

Change Copy Mode to "Secure".

- Roar

ebisudave

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2004, 08:45:42 pm »

Roar,

It's definitely not an issue of scratches. It's a brand new CD that plays perfectly straight from the drive or in any other player.

However, following your advice, I changed the settings to "secure", and I also lowered the maximum speed of the drive, and that seems to have given me a clean rip of the CD.

Thanks for your help!

Dave G

JohnT

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2004, 10:39:09 am »

Can you tell us what model of CD drive you have? Maybe there's a compatibility problem we can fix.

Thanks!
John T.
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

ebisudave

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2004, 11:24:49 am »

I have 3 CD drives, all of which cause popping when I don't use "secure" recording:

Sony CD-RW CRX140E
Samsung DVD-ROM SD-608
Ricoh DVD/CDRW MP9060

If you can devise a fix that ensures popping free rips from any of these drives, that would be great.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2004, 11:26:45 am »

Try searching for other similar problems here and on Google.  I think it is a Windows issue.  PIO vs DMA maybe.

ebisudave

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2004, 11:42:23 am »

JimH

I'm pretty sure it's not a Windows issue, because the exact same hardware and OS ripped CDs perfectly using MusicMatch Jukebox.

In any case, if I can rip CDs without popping using the "secure" setting (whatever "secure" means), then the matter is solved as far as I'm concerned. I only posted the drive models at JohnT's request. I assumed it was because he was in a position to investigate the problem in order to improve the software for future users.

Dave G

JimH

• Administrator

ebisudave

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2004, 07:52:19 pm »

JimH,

I'm not sure why you seem determined to drive this point home. The Google search you sent me is dealing with the issue from a general stand point, and the problem is only within Media Centre. I can rip and play CDs from other software with no problem.

And in any case, as I said, the matter is closed as far as I'm concerned, since I can rip CDs with "secure" mode and get a clean recording.

I appreciate you trying to help, but I think I've already got all the help I need on this issue.

Dave G

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2004, 08:14:03 pm »

You asked a question, and I've tried to give you the right answer.  What you do with it, including dismissing it, is up to you.
Pages: [1]   Go Up