INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Get Information From CDDB  (Read 4041 times)

NY40Male

Get Information From CDDB
« on: November 03, 2002, 01:57:33 pm »

Anyway To Do More Than 1 File At A Time?
This Would Be Really Useful If You Could

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Get Information From CDDB
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2002, 02:02:47 pm »

No

Anyway if they make YADB avail to the MJ SDK i will create one if possable.

You can forget CDDB, it is like taking a boat and looking back at the shore as things keep getting smaller and smaller untill you can't see the shore anymore. Then soon even the birds get fewer and fewer, the sea weed is less and less visable and the water becomes darker.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

NY40Male

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2002, 02:11:27 pm »

Cool...What I Like To Do, King, Is To Have MJ Or Any Darn Program Auto Update The Fields For Me...Mostly The Genre..I Know This Is Up To Debate As To What That Field Should Have In It...BUT....I'd Rather Have A Program Do It For Me..Hopefully This Way...Keeping Everything Standard.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2002, 02:40:04 pm »

... it is like taking a boat and looking back at the shore as things keep getting smaller and smaller untill you can't see the shore anymore. Then soon even the birds get fewer and fewer, the sea weed is less and less visable and the water becomes darker.

And then there's the Great White Whale and, aye, you have to launch the boats and go chasin' off after it, trying to get a blasted harp-oon in 'im, while the Captain gets nuttier and nuttier.

It ain't easy.

Listening to: 'Milestones' from 'Waltz for Debby' by 'Bill Evans Trio' on Media Jukebox

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2002, 02:47:57 pm »

Genre

me and Gateley had a conversation in e-mail about it.

Most of the time Genre is not filled out correctly so it may not help much, but i understand what your talking about.

i did write a program called MP3 Tag Grabber, that used the cddb dll and i still have it someplace around here. but it did what you want. the problem with CDDB is you could not put it in full automode and cddb always came up with bad matches when you did a by file search.

sometimes people would blame it on MJ but it was the CDDB dll that sucked. as a matter of fact they are about 9 months late with a update to the CDDB dll's

I think YADB is and will be much better for MJ users than CDDB ever was.

what i would like to see is J river release it to other developers (and they may be doing this). if at a lower cost to them or even free (for maybe a year) this will allow the Database to grow. this will allow better matches on CD's for MJ users and could be even better than CDDB.

Fayetteville, NC, USA

mattybeans

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2002, 05:39:20 pm »

I think YADB is horrible.  There is really no comparison-it drops 50% of well known CD's-give multiple listings 50% of the time it picks the right ones. C'mon.  Is there a way to use CDDB instead of YADB with version 9?

I don't know much about YADB, and it might have some great grass-roots community thing going on, but for now, it leaves much to be desired.

Sorry if that's negative....

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2002, 08:15:00 pm »

Time for my weekly plea: if you have CDs that you think should be recognized, but aren't, please let me know. I'll need to know if the CD is store-bought or burned, as well as artist, title, and time you tried to look it up (and your IP address if you know it).

For multiple listings: the cleanup crew (hi Y'all) are doing great, but we could still use some help (hint hint mattybeans).

I know we don't fail 50 percent of the time, check the stats page. I haven't bothered with a "dup" stat, but I'd be willing to bet, with odds, that it isn't 50 percent of the time.

Regarding CDDB: search the archives here.

j

mattybeans

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2002, 10:21:56 pm »

Excuse the negativity-I just used to be pretty happy with the CDDB-although it doesn't seem to be working as well anymore.  I'll try to help with the YADB now that i have a little more of a handle on it.  

Thanks,

Matt

dgness

• Recent member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2002, 01:37:06 pm »

I agree with Mattybeans. Al  :(ot of my CD's come back with nothing using YADB compared to CCDB which I usually get almost all info with most CD's. A lot of times YADB just hangs while attempting to retrieve data.

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2002, 07:05:10 am »

I repeat myself: please tell me the title/artist of the CD, whether it  was store bought or home-burned, and the time you did a lookup. If you know your IP address, that helps a lot.

I have not heard any complaints before about YADB hanging - is it reproducible? Does it always happen with the same CD? How are you connected to the internet? Any firewalls or proxy servers?

j

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2002, 07:46:37 am »

and the version used would help
Fayetteville, NC, USA

NY40Male

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2002, 10:17:21 am »

Hey King
What I Ended Up Doing Was To Searching CDDB On 1 Song, Then By Whatever Comes Up Making All The Songs By That Artist The Same Thing...Kinda Slow, But It Seems To Work, Seems Like In A Few Of The Tag Programs I Demoed When You Looked Up An Entire Album, It Choked...So I Guess For The Time Being It Works, Just Slow...

ZLoth

• I'm just a weekend technician....
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2002, 04:08:14 pm »

So, what happens to foreign language CDs? I have a bunch of Anime CDs, and sometimes they have two sets of titles. For example, the Spirited Away OST, there are English, French, and Japanese titles. How are you handling this?

NY40Male

« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2002, 06:12:38 pm »

At This Point,
My Collection Hasn't Run Into That Problem
When It's Up And Running
http://24.58.129:228:8391
Most Of The Time Its Up (That's What She Wishes Too)

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2002, 06:57:53 am »

So, what happens to foreign language CDs? I have a bunch of Anime CDs, and sometimes they have two sets of titles. For example, the Spirited Away OST, there are English, French, and Japanese titles. How are you handling this?

We keep all of them.

j

shoofly

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2002, 03:38:24 pm »

I'm a little puzzled. Is CDDB being discontinued? When I try to join up or use CDDB I get an error window: "malformed command sent from server to client"

YADB does not contain anything like the completeness of CDDB. Cases in point:

Many classical albums I recently tried
The Chieftain's latest album "Down the Old Plank Road"
Billy Vera and the Beaters: "At This Moment"

A great deal of the usefulness of Media Jukebox to me was in the ability of it to rip an album onto the proper numbered and labeled tracks. Without CDDB this is currently not as good as formerly.

Thanks,

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2002, 03:42:34 pm »

CDDB raised their price 600%.  We terminated.  Yadb is it.  It's good now, but it will improve.  We wrote it so we have source.

You can find out more from other posts by doing a search.

shoofly

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2002, 06:01:21 am »

Those ********!

dobon

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2002, 06:18:30 am »

I still have access to both db's, which is good because they differ and sometimes the CDDB-entry suits me best, sometimes YADB.  As a rule there are misspellings and other errors in both. My question: Do you want me to resubmit the cd after cleaning, making a duplicate entry. If so, shuld I do it only when there are multiple or major corrections, or even for small or minor errors?

Wish: In "properties > tools > clean file properties > Upper Case First Word Only": Could you let it also capitalize the first letter after ":" and after "- " and all letters in Artist Field (as they usually represents a name)

Thankyou

dobon

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2002, 06:22:31 am »

Correction relating to last sentence above. Should be: All FIRST letters in Artist Field

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2002, 06:26:48 pm »

Hi dobon,

Yes, please do submit corrected info. For technical reasons, it will be a duplicate (and not a replacement) for a while, but eventually will replace the incorrect info.

Thanks,

j

hpaulmo

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2002, 06:49:51 pm »

Okay, I was excited about all the praise for this product, and I am giving it a fair try.  However.... I put two CD's in - Stevie Ray's "The Sky is Crying" and a more obscure album - Kenny Garrett plays Coltrane.  I know CDDB has them because I have downloaded them into other software.  But this program seems unable to even access CDDB, even though I can go to another program and with no special instructions to type in, it logs on to CDDB every time, from the same computer.  I tried YADD (or whatever it is), and it could not find either album.

So... should I try something else, or trash this program?

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2002, 09:25:17 am »

What time (exactly) did you try this? (Or just try it again and note the time). The Stevie Ray Vaughn should be in Yadb. Is it a store bought or home burned CD?
If you have a fixed IP, let me know, that makes it easier.

Thanks,

j

shoofly

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2002, 06:46:27 am »

I am endeavoring to get a collection of alternative and soundtrack CDs into mp3 format. YADB recognizes less than half of them. Among the missing:
After One: After One
Roedelius: Aquarello
Sylvia's Ghost: Blue Highway
Strawberry Slaughterhouse: Teenage Torture Chamber
Soundtrack Album: Survivors of the Holocaust

I could go on, but you get the idea. CDDB used to pick up on most of these items, and also identified a fair bit of the EPs I inserted.

At this pint, YADB has proven less useful to me than CDDB was. A pity no agreement could be reached for a reasonable price. hand entering this info is not fun.
Pages: [1]   Go Up