INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Media Jukebox unstable  (Read 5022 times)

rt

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
Media Jukebox unstable
« on: November 04, 2002, 11:07:04 am »

Altough I greatly enjoy the many features of MJB, I also get increasingly upset that I payed for a piece of very unstable software. My XP Pro system has NEVER crashed in the half year I have it, I run it weeks in a row, no proggram ever crashes, EXCEPT MJB, which crashes a couple of times per week. You won't be able to compete with microsoft if the software stays unreliable, that would be a shame.

Hope you guys will be able to fix it.

Thanks

Scronch

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Media Jukebox unstable
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2002, 11:12:36 am »

Please reply and post your system info.
In Media Jukebox: Help, System Info, Copy to Clipboard.

Complaining without providing some basic information isn't helpful.

Scronch

Fastyves

• World Citizen
  • Let me think about it !
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2002, 12:11:40 pm »

My XP Pro system has NEVER crashed in the half year I have it,
so do mine.
I run it weeks in a row
[/quote]so do mine.
no proggram ever crashes, EXCEPT MJB
MJ8 is probably one of the programs that NEVER crashed in the last 6 month !

My Sys Info :

Media Jukebox PLUS 8.0.388
Install Path: C:\Program Files\J River\Media Jukebox\

CPU: AMD Athlon 1461 MHz MMX
Memory: Total - 523 MB, Free - 199 MB
OS: Microsoft Windows XP  Workstation 5.1  (Build 2600)

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2600.0000
ComCtl32.dll: 6.00.2600.0000
Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2600.0000
Shell32.dll: 6.00.2600.0000
wnaspi32.dll: 4.70 , ASPI for Win32 (95/NT) DLL, Copyright © 1989-2001 Adaptec, Inc.
Aspi32.sys: 4.70

Yves.

Listening to: 'Missing You' from 'High On Emotion (Live From Dublin)' by 'Chris de Burgh' on Media Jukebox

xen-uno

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Checking your hard disk for errors...
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2002, 12:57:13 pm »

1st thing: Update XP to SP1.
2nd thing: Your using the external version of ASPI (which is fine). Download v4.72, close all your apps, and update.

Xenno

rt

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2002, 02:57:04 pm »

Thanks for the replies. Agreed, Should have posted some more info, I was just very frustrated after another crash. Ok, here is my system info:

Media Jukebox PLUS 8.0.388
Install Path: e:\Program Files\J River\Media Jukebox\

CPU: Intel Pentium 4 1807 MHz MMX
Memory: Total - 523 MB, Free - 188 MB
OS: Microsoft Windows XP  Workstation 5.1 Service Pack 1 (Build 2600)

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2800.1106
ComCtl32.dll: 6.00.2800.1106
Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2800.1106
Shell32.dll: 6.00.2800.1106
wnaspi32.dll: Internal ASPI Layer

Hope anybody has some suggestions for me.

Thanks

xen-uno

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2002, 03:13:06 pm »

Most likely a bad installation.

Do the Backup License...Uninstall MJ...Update ASPI to 4.72...Install latest soundcard drv's...Reinstall MJ...Restore License bit.

Xenno

khaos100

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2002, 03:31:01 pm »

This probably doesn't apply to you, but the one issue I notice is because of me using a raid controller as an extra ide controller.  Since I have a DVD ROM, a CDR ROM, a Zip drive and 2 HDs plus a third HD for my music, the music HD is using a RAID controller made to work as an extra IDE controller.

Even with the latest chipset drivers, I notice that every so often communication problems crop up.  I've read that RAID controllers used like this can often cause or become victims of interference via other devices.

I've tested the drive and it's fine, but occassionaly, especially if trying to analyze replay gain a huge chunk of music or multi task while ripping or any other bandwidth intensive task, I'll lock up.  I don't believe it's  MJ8, but that it's hardware related in relation to the RAID controller.  I say this because during my weekly virus scan of all my hard drives it has on occasion locked up scanning the drives on the RAID controllers.

rt

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2002, 04:09:41 pm »

Its not a bad install, I tried multiple reinstalls, no go.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2002, 05:30:57 pm »

Are you always doing the same thing when it crashes?

Random crashes are usually hardware.  There are a lot of places to look.

We spent $600 today to replace the guts of a machine that was locking randomly.

I had a machine that crashed once a day for a while.  It turned out to be bad memory.

rt

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2002, 06:21:38 pm »

Its not the hardware, as I mentioned, it runs on the most stable system I have ever had or seen, the system NEVER crashed (honestly), runs 24/7, only software that crashes is MJB. It does not crash with specific things: playing music, downloading music to creative jukebox, etc.

xen-uno

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2002, 07:31:09 pm »

OK...so you did the reinstall bit. But did you follow to the letter the steps as outlined in post #5? After doing so try the internal ASPI option in MJ. Tons of people run W2k and XP around here...and don't have a problem. What soundcard do you have? What other multimedia apps do you have installed? There may be an interaction problem with other apps.

Repost your latest sys info.

Xenno

zak326

• Recent member
  • consultant
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2002, 08:06:03 pm »

Just a guess here, but this has proven to be the answer to about 90% of my XCP Pro issues incliuding that chronically trou8bled Creative Audigy Sound Card.

The key to most issues seems to be in the permissions granted the user in the registry. More times than not going to the proper key (usually one level higher) and enabling full control to the current user will solve most  problems.
Its amazing. Yet no one ever talks about it.
One word of caution always back up before you charge forward

The one thing it won't solve though is the fact that  I cannot burn a full cd of anything. I get an error that says it is a calibration error. I checked Google and it appears to hit all brands etc.  Anyone else had this problem. I have a Yamaha 3200E and am running xpPro. on a pentium 4 1.8g processor with 512 mg rdram and leadtek 250 LE vivo Geforce4 ti4200, and Creative Audigy Platinum.  

I  talked to Yamaha and they are going to replace the cdr but I am not sure that is the issue.

zak326

• Recent member
  • consultant
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2002, 08:10:29 pm »

On the unstable issue, Everythinmg moves so fast these days that I think these folks deserve a lot of credit for trying to keep up. In fact  I find this the most stable and least intrusive program of its type I've ever used and I've tried about 20 of them. OIf only the liocense issue ,,, oh well I'm not going there again. I 'v said all there is to say on that one.  

My guess is that you probably have windows media player anbd any other of those type of things fighting for control . Check all your associations and make sure they are clear. Also check any graphocs programs you havel. They are now trying to take over  as well.

xen-uno

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2002, 08:18:47 pm »

Good one Zak...I forgot about the permission levels & file rights (variable depending if you are a Administrator, Power User, User, etc).

To all that read this topic and are having problems...read this post.

Xenno

edit > The right's thingy never occurred to me because I always set myself up with Administrative rights. But I see plenty of problems with installs if a person doesn't do the same. It really should be addressed in v8 (IMO) in the following way....

If MJ is making truly system level changes, then it should be left as is but with a prominent on-screen message to the effect that you DO need Administrative rights to install MJ successfully.

zak326

• Recent member
  • consultant
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2002, 08:32:09 pm »

WOW! I actually wrote something someone understood and didn't flame. I have a write up of how this solved the Audigy problem if anyone is interested. It at least shows an issue from start to solution.  I'm a bit reluctant to post it because it's a bit long but will mak3e it available if anyone wants it.

It took me a year to get the audigy working, and it has been totally stable for about 3 months with the only exception being having to reinstall the drivers once in a while.

Scronch

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2002, 09:01:00 pm »

Post it somewhere else and provide a link.

plas

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2002, 10:47:24 am »

MJ crashes a couple of times per week.
I have Windows 98SE. It's a very stable system. It NEVER crashes if MJ is not running. ;)

Scronch

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2002, 11:05:36 am »

MJ never crashes my Win2kPro P3-600 512MB, or my WinXP P4-1.2 256MB.  But I have been hanging at 8.0.346 for awhile.  I need to take a few minutes and upgrade both systems.  Anyway, no crashing here.

Scronch

zevele10

« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2002, 01:04:22 pm »

I had Media Jukebox crashing to the point of not using it.
I had something dead in my computer-i do not remember what-
After that ,MJ never never crashed again.
Now MJ crash to the point i allmost do not use it again.
]Like the first time Windows Media Player and RealJukebox are fine -well almost-

But i am sure i would have something to tell you about my video card or Raid controler very soon .
After fixing it ,MJ will run easy and cool.

Yes MJ crash ,yes your other programs do not .I know you are telling the true.
But trust me MJ crashing means a problem in your computer.
I know as well that 'this is an OS problem,not a MJ one 'is hard to buy as an answer .
But i can tell you it is just the true

sub-24

• World Citizen
  • It Happens
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2002, 01:34:14 pm »

Is MJ a bit unstable -??

Being honest - yes it is.

It does crash more often than a lot of other programs that i use.  Yes it does

Does it look good - no
Is it totally stable - no
IS it totally the best Jukebox ever - Yes
Would i change for anything else - No

zak326

• Recent member
  • consultant
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2002, 02:53:44 pm »

Regarding MJ and Win98SE.  I just finished trying to fix a friend's PC with 98SE on it. Little things kept going wrong as I was trying to straighten things out. (My friend is a PC illiterate and that is flattering her). In the end after fooling with the machine for a day or two, I ended up upgrading it to Millenium . I concluded on upgrading as the answer because it seemed all updates were really geared towards the later systems, and trying to use them on 98SE was like putting jetfuel in a model T. I didn't use XP because if she ever discovered the servies, she'd really get the system to ffrozen statusforever.

I think they'll start slowing down on 98 re support, like they are doing on 95 currently, I understand that the New Office will not work on O/S before Millenium

plas

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2002, 11:37:42 pm »

The bug is probably in the options dialog, because MJ often crashes when OK or Cancel button is pressed.
Playback is usually stable.

NoCodeUK

« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2002, 11:57:48 pm »

Just responding to Zaks statement about the new Office...in fact it wont run on Millennium either.  It runs on 2000/XP and above - no support for the 9x kernel at all...

Adam
"It's called No Code because it's full of code. It's misinformation." - Eddie Vedder

Scronch

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2002, 12:43:16 am »

So Office98 is dead.

har har har

Scronch

plas

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2002, 02:11:13 pm »

MJ crashes in module GDI.EXE

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2002, 02:28:24 pm »

plas,
Your machine has a problem.  Please try a search on google for some of the errors you have had.  Here is an example:

http://www.generation.net/~hleboeuf/ergdi.htm

zak326

• Recent member
  • consultant
« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2002, 11:23:04 pm »

Two things come to mind on all of this.  First of all if you set yourself with Administrator rights, be careful it doesn't totally give you administrator rights or what i call "Carlie Fiorina Syndrome"*  Sometimes it will only give you partial permission and sometimes it will only give the administrator permission and not the group. I understand they are working on simplifyingthe whole grantimg of permission thing but til then its a maze  and amazing.
as far as the crashes go . I am encountering them daily with some of my clients, and have  come to a couple of conclusions. A lot of the problems are caused  because win 98 etc were built years before the stuff we are using now and even tho people say they work with the older o/s that may not be true, because the majority of the testing ois geared look,ing forward. Like I just discoveredthat certain basiuc trhings will not work in 98 2d ed and 98 unless you have Internet exp 6 installed  with the right cobination of updates. You could probably be getting crashes because something like rel [playuer is sitting there grabbing things whenever it pleases no matter how you think you have it installed. or some of those programs leave registry resiudue aftter uninstalling them and that can coillide withany number of things.  Remember realpolayer and some of the others were basically built around the time of the pyramids and they did a whole new playewr I am sure partially becuse it  was easaier to buil;d something new than adapt the old one.

I recently found that an old Real player iunstall had activated startcenter and wasn sohowing  an icon on the system tray and the machine kept stalling. I couldn't disable the startcenter vbecause everytime i pulled it up is flashed me and went awy. .   I don't know if any of this helped. but its really a detective thing and I've learned to not purt some of this stuff on unless I'm really gonna use it. and check regularly for thigns that creep upo on you.

The latest thing that has me hot is that on the new Sony Vaio Media Desktop. when you register, it asks you whose money you paid for the pc with your personal funds or business funds then blames int on microsoft saying it is necessary to register Windows which  is not true. Do people think we are all truly brain dead. I wrote SONY a note and told them I paid for it with part of Jon Peters severence check.
::) :P ;D

* Definition= If I control everything I can never make a mistake and I will be infalllible, so I'll just buy up everything big and make sure no one can sort it out"

nique72

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2002, 03:29:42 am »

RT:

Are you using a Creative Labs soundcard?

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2002, 05:04:41 am »

>> So Office98 is dead.
Yes, in 1997
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

plas

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2002, 11:34:46 am »

I have problems only when converting files.
If I start MJ, select some album, press Convert format, Options, OK, Options, OK,  then it always crashes.

plas

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2002, 05:05:08 am »

I have updated Internet Explorer and GDI.exe, but it still crashes.
What other DLLs must I update  ?

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2800.1106
ComCtl32.dll: 5.50.4916.400
Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2800.1106
Shell32.dll: 4.72.3812.600
Gdi.exe: 4.90.3000
Gdi32.dll: 4.10.1998
Msvcrt20.dll: 4.00.5270
Msvcrt.dll: 6.10.9359.0
advapi32.dll: 4.80.1675
User32.dll: 4.10.2222
Kernel32.dll: 4.10.2222