INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: DELL JUKEBOX PLUGIN AVAILABLE  (Read 20417 times)

SteveG

• Citizen of the Universe
DELL JUKEBOX PLUGIN AVAILABLE
« on: June 11, 2004, 10:52:00 am »

We managed to get the necessary documentation to create a Dell plugin which I completed today. Please download it when it is posted later today and let me know if there are any bugs which need ironing out. Playlists are supported in this plugin as well as additional functionality not available through WMDM.

Steve

BullishDad

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
Re:DELL JUKEBOX PLUGIN AVAILABLE TONIGHT
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2004, 04:24:11 pm »

Steve, let me be the first to send a big Thank You.

I've never used a handheld plug-in before, so I'm not the best person to test it out.

However, when I connected the DJ, the Plug-in read the files on the unit fine.  I noticed I have to click in the Tree on Dell Jukebox to display all files first, then open up Playlists, etc.  The songs on the playlists were all there. Fantastic.

I did not try transferring any files yet.  I'll try to test some things over the next couple of days.  Is there a way to transfer a Playlist from MC to the DJ?  I tried dropping the Playlist in the box and the songs were in the queue, but I was wondering if the Playlist will show on the DJ.  I didn't go thru with the transfer because it looked like duplicates would've been created.

You should announce this on the Main board.  I don't always check the Portables forum.

SteveG

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2004, 05:50:41 pm »

BullishDad,

Try right clicking on the Dell and select the option for 'Synchronize'. Select your playlists and sync them to the Dell. MC will detect files which are duplicates (i.e. the same Name, Artist, Album, Genre and Track Number) and not resend them. If you select the option for 'Delete unselected files', MC will remove any files from the Dell which are not in playlists that are selected for the sync.

Steve

PS I will post this on the main board. Thanks.

BullishDad

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2004, 07:29:06 pm »

Steve,  I tried synching one playlist and it worked fine.  However, when I went to view it on the DJ, I see only that one playlist and the others that were on the DJ previously have disappeared!  I didn't select the "Delete unselected" option.  I didn't lose any tracks, just the Playlists.

No biggie.  I will probably get rid of everything on the DJ, then transfer everything back with the sync function.  However, I don't think the existing playlists on the DJ should've been deleted.

rar2667

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2004, 06:53:04 am »

Let me add a very large THANKS as well. I am leaving for the beach in a few days, so this is perfect timing to load up my Dell without going through MusicMatch.

I will add that something mysterious happened last night (before I found out about the plug-in)...I hooked the Dell up to format and start over and after a couple of those "server busy " messages, everything started to work pretty much the same as it does with the plug-in???

No complaints...just stragne. On usability, is there a way to sync with a custom filed or genre? The goal would be to identify all the tracks that I want to be on my Dell, say with a custom field, then sync that field. I don't have room on the Dell for everything, but don't have everything sorted into playlists that I want to take with me.

Thanks for supporting our devices...that's what makes JRiver the best!!

rar2667

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2004, 06:55:33 am »

One more thing...when I expand the tree on the Dell from MC, there is no listing of Playlists, but they are on the device. Is that the way that is supposed to work?

BullishDad

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2004, 09:26:01 am »

rar2667, make sure you have WMDM unchecked when using the plug-in.  I was able to see the DJ playlists in the tree.  First, in the tree click on Dell Digital Jukebox to view all files, then open up the Playlist folder.

As far as the custom fields, I don't know how MC can sync with it, but this is what I'd do.  Create a new playlist, sort the Library on the custom field, highlight all the records you want, and add it to the new Playlist.  Sync the playlist and you're done.

rar2667

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2004, 09:39:30 am »

Thanks BullishDad,

I'll play around with these settings some more. Now I can uninstall MusicMatch...hoorah!

SteveG

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2004, 10:31:55 am »

BullishDad,

Don't bother removing the files. Just select the playlists you want to sync and the playlists will be created on Nomad with the files which are on Nomad, or with new files which must be transferred. With every sync, the playlists are destroyed and recreated (this is very fast) but the files are only deleted if you select 'Delete unselected files'.

rar2667,

Did you get that 'Server busy' message only when you did the Format?  

The way to sync a custom field, is to create a playlist or smartlist based on that field and then sync the playlist as Bullishdad suggests.   A slightly more elegant way to do this would be to base all your other playlists off of this primary one.

If WMDM is enabled, you will not see playlists because they are not supported by WMDM.

Steve

rar2667

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2004, 01:47:30 pm »

SteveG,

I got the server busy when I right-clicked on the Dell. I did try again 2 or 3 times, then the contents of the Dell appeared. This was before downloading your new plug-in.

I haven't gotten the server busy since I got the plug-in, but I will let you know if that persists. Thanks for all the tips, I should be able to head to the beach with all the right tracks in my pocket.

Cheers to all!

BullishDad

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2004, 02:01:16 pm »

With every sync, the playlists are destroyed and recreated (this is very fast) but the files are only deleted if you select 'Delete unselected files'.

The drawback here is that you lose playlists that you have on the DJ that you may not have in MediaCenter.  New users would prefer not to re-create all of their playlists.  

As I said earlier, I was not a big deal for me, but I wanted to update the post on the Dell Forum.  I'm afraid that new MC users will get their Dell DJ playlists deleted with no way to get them back.  I used DJ Explorer to create playlists and never used MusicMatch.  There was no utility that I could find that would save or export M3U files, they just reside on the DJ.

SteveG

« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2004, 10:09:10 am »

BullishDad,

Thanks for your comments. The concept of synchronization is based on synching playlists from MC to Nomad. Users can either transfer files or playlists by drag and dropping them onto the Nomad if they choose not to sync. For synching it will be necessary to either recreate the playlists in MC or to export the playlists as m3u and then import them into MC as you pointed out.

Steve

jaydpb

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2004, 03:05:14 pm »

Steve

Where can i download the plugin?

SteveG

« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2004, 04:19:00 pm »

Go to ...

http://accessories.musicex.com/mediacenter/accessories.php

Make sure MC 10 is the selected version and then select Handheld Plugins.

SteveG

Re:DELL JUKEBOX PLUGIN AVAILABLE
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2004, 09:21:23 am »

I am trying to move music from my computer to my handheld, Dell DJ.  I hae downloaded the appropriate plug-in.  When I try to do this, I get the message that the "the server is busy".  What does this mean and how do I get this to work?

Norman

'The server is busy' is a Windows message which I can suppress. Can you go to Tools->Options->Devices and let me know if you have 'Enable WMDM Support' checked? If not, can you confirm when specifically you see the message (e.g. after the transfer starts vs when MC is displaying the information for what is on the Dell).

Thanks,

Steve

carlo3874

• Recent member
  • I might be a porcupine.
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2004, 07:31:24 pm »

please support Dell jukebox,  thank you

SteveG

« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2004, 08:16:47 am »

carlo3874,

We do. That is what this whole thread is about. Please get the plugin from the Handheld Plugin page for MC 10.

Steve

zeltak

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2004, 02:05:03 am »

hi steve G!

i also get the same message and i have a creative zen xtra. my WMDM is unchecked...... any ideas  ? :-[

thx

Zeltak

SteveG

« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2004, 11:53:01 am »

Zeltak,

Which message are you referring to? The 'Server Busy'? If so, when do you see it? WHen you click on Nomad Jukebox in the tree?

Steve

Gregg

• Recent member
  • Please write a good Dell Jukebox plug in!
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2004, 08:29:01 pm »

I'm Sorry that last message I sent was a mistake.  

I have downloaed the new Dell plugin.  I have unchecked WMDM.  I am running MC10 on Windows XP.  The new plug works great as far as transferring files and not locking up like it did in the past.  The problem I am having is that if I transfer a playlist all of the songs come over just fine however, I do not get the playlist.  So you end up having the songs but no playlist.  I thought that this plug in was going to fix this inconvenience.  

I can now create new playlists on the Dell from within MC10, but there still does not seem to be an easy way to tranfer playlists and keep the songs assigned to that playlist.  Thanks for  your help.

SteveG

« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2004, 09:44:25 am »

Gregg,

Right click on the Dell Jukebox in the tree and check out the 'Synchronization' option. Check the playlists you want to send and then the files will transfer and the playlists will be created. Be careful with the 'Delete unselected files' option. With this option selected, any files not selected to transfer but on the Dell, will be deleted.

Steve

zeltak

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2004, 09:44:48 am »

hi steve!

it happens usually after i cancell the syncing...then i have to kill mc with ctr-altl-del and disconnect the nomad

thx

zeltak

Gregg

• Recent member
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2004, 09:59:08 am »

Steve, wow that's great.  That makes this player and software combo awesome.  Thanks so much.

SteveG

« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2004, 04:34:01 pm »

zeltak,

Can you clarify what you are reporting? Are you saying when you cancel a sync you get the 'server busy' message when you are using the plugin, not the WMDM enabled connection?

Thanks,

Steve

Barbatus

• Recent member
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2004, 01:47:30 pm »

Hi guys,

Can I use this plug-in with MJ 8? I really don't need all the features of the MC, and I DON'T want to re-install MusicMatch.

Thanks!

SteveG

« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2004, 03:59:35 pm »

Barbatus,

Sorry, this plugin is only compatible with MC 10.

Steve

Barbatus

• Recent member
« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2004, 04:19:58 pm »

Thanks for the reply.

So what should I use to connect my MJ with Dell DJ? If anything?

BullishDad

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2004, 07:54:09 pm »

Based on Steve's comments in the first thread of the Portables Forum, I don't think MJ8 supports WMDM.

If you really want to use MJ with your Dell DJ, I'd think seriously about purchasing MC10.  For $25 you will find many, many more features than MJ8, plus you can use the Dell DJ plug-in.  

You can try it out for 30 days, I doubt you'll be disappointed.  

Barbatus

• Recent member
« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2004, 08:06:55 pm »

Yeah . . . the problem is, I don't need all these features really. And I've bought MJ 8 TWICE already, 'cause I lost my reg. info for the first one: JRiver's website did not recognize neither my old nor my new e-mail address.

Can I upgrade from 8 to 10 somehow?

BullishDad

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2004, 10:20:12 pm »

I couldn't find any upgrade pricing from MJ8 to MC10, however with the reduced price of MC10, it goes for about the same as what I would expect an upgrade to cost.

Sorry to hear that you paid twice.  If you could prove it, maybe someone at JRiver can give you credit towards MC10.  

In the meantime, don't worry about paying.  Go to the purchase page and download the free trial. Play around with it and then determine if it's worth it to you.  It's a full featured trial, so you can dowload the Dell DJ plug-in after you've installed MC10 and see how that works too.

If you use the DJ plug-in read my notes above about how existing Playlists on the DJ are deleted. I only had a few which I easily re-created, but you should be aware of this if you use the sync function.

Barbatus

• Recent member
« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2004, 11:11:16 pm »

Thanks again.

Looks like this is the only way.

I've just installed Dell DJ Explorer, and MM Jukebox (just because it was impossible to install 'em separately). What could I say (probably nothin' new)? I'd tried several years ago almost all major programs, including Real, MM, etc. I hadn't chosen JRiver by an impulse. Nothing has changed since: MM is as slow and awkward as I remember, despite now the latest version of it runs on a brand new computer with XP, ans so forth. So I removed the friggin' thing right away.

Let's try MC . . .

rar2667

« Reply #31 on: June 27, 2004, 10:36:02 pm »

SteveG,

Here's the scenario with my Dell DJ and the new plug-in...

I completely initialized the Dell and created a smartlist as suggested and tried to sync that smartlist using the new plug-in (WMDM unchecked). All started off fine, but 3 times in a row the progress indicator would hang (at various points...not always the same song). After it hangs I have to End-Task MC and start over.

Anyone else having this behavior? MC is 10.0.146 with plug-in 9.0.52.

Let me know what else to try...thanks.

SteveG

« Reply #32 on: June 28, 2004, 09:01:54 am »

rar2667,

Try drag and dropping the files one at a time onto the Dell. If any of the files hang during the transfer, email me the file and I will try it here and see what is going on.

steve @ jriver.com

rar2667

« Reply #33 on: June 28, 2004, 04:23:25 pm »

SteveG,

I will try to narrow it down to a file, but there are around 3,000 tracks in the smartlist and it stopped once on #899 and once on #499, so it might take a while to drag them all individually.

Is there another way to figure out what it was working on when it hangs? (e.g. go back into smartlist after restarting MC and counting down 899 or 499 into the list?) I didn't know if they would necessarily be listed in the order it was copying them?

I'll do more research tonight...thanks

SteveG

« Reply #34 on: June 28, 2004, 05:01:17 pm »

Send the files in batches of 100 to narrow it down at first. Are you doing file conversions at the same time?

Steve

Gregg

• Recent member
« Reply #35 on: June 28, 2004, 05:08:18 pm »

I had the same error rar2667.  When it locks up look at the song/file name.  Usually if it locks on a certain song that  means there is a corupted or missing file.  At least that's the way it was for me.  If you remove those files from the playlist and try to sync again, it should keep going further and further until the next problem file is upon you.  

rar2667

« Reply #36 on: June 29, 2004, 06:31:23 am »

SteveG,

Through process of elimination, I found 3 files that caused the sync to hang. Since the progress indicator only shows the song name and not the artist, I had some trouble with different versions of the same song (could duplicate song titles be part of the problem?).

I will e-mail you one of the files to see if you can determine the problem. Also, I was doing no file conversion.

After removing these files from the smartlist, I was able to get all the way through the sync (3129 files).

Thanks for the help.

alastair

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #37 on: June 29, 2004, 09:31:56 am »

ok i hav a question bout my dell DJ with MC 10.  i formatted my computer yesterday and now i want to get all my songs back on to my computer from my dell DJ using MC 10. but when i download the songs to my PC they are saved with the filename as just the song title.  i hav about 3000 songs so there will be loads of duplicate files if i try this. is there any other way?? thanks...

SteveG

« Reply #38 on: June 29, 2004, 09:54:40 am »

alastair,

You are saying you have many files on your Dell that have the same 'Name', correct?  I can modify the plugin to add a numeric extension to the filename if it detects a duplicate. You would then end up with Name, Name (1), Name (2), etc on your PC. Would this work for you?

Steve

alastair

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #39 on: June 29, 2004, 10:02:36 am »

yes i think that would work fine because after that then i could rename all the files from the tags.

THANK YOU!!!

rar2667

« Reply #40 on: June 29, 2004, 04:07:15 pm »

SteveG,

I want to take an opportunity to thank you again for all you've done to integrate the Dell DJ with MC. Your plug-in is already making my life (and others in this posting) easier and we appreciate it!!!

When you make changes as you've mentioned above for me and alistair...do we need to download again? the version posted still says 9.0.52.

Thanks again!

Gregg

• Recent member
« Reply #41 on: June 29, 2004, 07:31:37 pm »

Ditto on the above message.  Thanks Steve.

SteveG

« Reply #42 on: July 01, 2004, 03:23:23 pm »

Everyone,

The new plugin with the fix for naming the files with the (1) (2) extension and the improved upload failure messaging is now available, but not from the plugin page. Instead, click on the link here.......

http://accessories.musicex.com/mediacenter/mc_data/plugins/temp/hh_delljukebox.mjp

alastair

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #43 on: July 03, 2004, 09:45:34 pm »

ok i downloaded that new plugin (thanks a lot by the way) and i selected all the songs on my DJ and clicked "download to PC".  24 hours later it finished but i dont have all the files on my computer. about 50 are missing... is there any way u can synchronize all the files on the computer and all the files on the DJ or is that only for playlists?? thanks...

SteveG

« Reply #44 on: July 06, 2004, 09:45:34 am »

alastair,

You can sync all files, but it will only sync files from PC to Dell, the synchronization is not bidirectional in the sense that it will move files from Dell to PC. My best guess why you are missing 50 files is that they failed for some reason. Did you see any error messages at the end of the transfer?

Steve

alastair

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #45 on: July 07, 2004, 12:38:39 am »

no there were no error messages.  so theres no way of finding out which songs im missing??? (other than checking each song of 3000)..

thank you

alastair

SteveG

« Reply #46 on: July 07, 2004, 09:51:38 am »

alastair,

Sorry there is not an automated way. Try importing the files into MC and then compare the list of files in MC against what is on Nomad. Not smooth, but should work.  When I implement true bidirectional synching this will be automated.

Steve

Click Cardo

• Recent member
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #47 on: July 15, 2004, 06:52:20 pm »

Steve  I tried clicking on the link and it asked to add an MC component.
But then it failed to register the driver saying that destinaion file was in use:
c:\docume~1\clickc~1\locals~1\temp\Dell Jukebox\hh_nomadjukebox.dll.

The Dell DJ shows under CD+ but fails with driver message.  Also, I later
tried deleting that file but with the same results.  I also tried to set it up
with MusicMatchbox but to no avail.

Can anybody help?

Thanks
Click

SteveG

« Reply #48 on: July 16, 2004, 09:54:40 am »

Click,

Steve  I tried clicking on the link and it asked to add an MC component.
But then it failed to register the driver saying that destinaion file was in use:
c:\docume~1\clickc~1\locals~1\temp\Dell Jukebox\hh_nomadjukebox.dll.

Try closing MC and then go to then go here....

http://accessories.musicex.com/mediacenter/accessories.php

and download the plugin.

In order for this plugin to work, you must install the drivers that came with your Dell. If you already did that and are getting the error, try removing and reinstalling the Dell drivers.

Steve

Click Cardo

• Recent member
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #49 on: July 17, 2004, 05:05:20 pm »

Steve, I went to the accessories page and seleted the HandHled plug-ins link.
Could not find Dell for any of the entries?  Where should I look.

Back at Music-Match.
also, I un-reinstalled my dell driver's, but I can never get past the Portable-Device-Manger
screen shwing: click here to add a plug-in for your device.  I follow the directions and
select the Dell entry and install seems fine.  But when I come back to PDM it does not show Dell and only promts for drivers.

What do I need to do

Post.  I was using MC 9.1.  When I upgraed to 10.0 I could find the plug-in and installed
it ok.  MC now shows Dell and ?Nomad? under drives.  When I click the Dell entry I get
initialization failed. check that device is on and drivers are loaded.  PS: I am on my test
pc with this.  I'll check out my production pc next.  

Post 2: I get MusicMatch to run on my old pc using USB 1.1 port.  Now have just Nomad driver
in MC.  Still get same initialization message MC.  When I try my product pc with USB 1.1 it
works the same as test pc.  I think my USB card in my new PC is ok cuz I can upload my
pics from my camera using the USB 2.0 card.

Help pclease.

Thanks
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up