INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: OT -- Summer Vacations  (Read 1402 times)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
OT -- Summer Vacations
« on: July 08, 2004, 10:27:46 am »

Hot dogs, ice cream, white line fever, altitude sickness, fireworks, gondola ride, watching planes land, etc.

It was all a blur.  We drove cross country from Minnesota to Colorado and back, stopping everywhere there was something to eat.

More pictures here:  http://www.jriver.com/~jriver/2004/colorado

bebop

Re:OT -- Summer Vacations
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2004, 12:04:20 pm »

Looks like you had a good time...haven't done a road trip in ages.   Last time had a angst ridden teenager with us on a trip from Victoria  BC to Melville Saskatchewan and hubby insisted on  taking the "scenic" route : up North to Jasper and then onto Grande Prairie, Alberta, then down to Red Deer. Alberta (your pics of Nebraska looked suprisingly similar to Central and Southern Alberta).  Then on to CowTown (aka Calgary, Alberta) and then hitting all the high points across Sask (pun intended, it's flatter than flat!!)   - the giant moose at (whatelse) Moosejaw, the salt flats and the wetlands, which due to the drought that year, looked rathere dry.   ;D    

Link

• World Citizen
  • Is that some kind of Eastern thing?
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2004, 12:35:49 pm »

Ahh.. The Corn Palace - a cross country road trip must-see.  Fun memories....

DocLotus

• Retired and; Loving It!!!
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2004, 02:36:00 pm »

Ahhh... God's country, I know it well.

I lived in Denver for 9 years in the late fifties & early sixties; was married there.

Have been to all those places many times over in both the summer & winter.

Colorado is simply a wonderful place to live.  It would be 95 degrees (F) in the summer in Denver, would put the top down on the ol Corvette & head for the cool, dry mountains; and in no time it would drop to 70 degrees (or lower).

Next time you go check out...

Just outside of Denver... Lookout Mountain.  Take a tour of the Coors brewery. Wonderful, very cold beer on tap at all times.

Glenwood Springs... the springs are 80 degrees (F) year round.  Stay at the Glenwood Springs Lodge & bathe in the springs right outside your door, wonderful.  Also check out the hot dog stand across the street,  PBS said it has some of the best hot dogs around.

Hanging Lake... just outside of Glenwood Springs.  You have to park your car & hike up a trail to the lake but is well worth it.  The lake is a large, clear, blue pond that is actually hanging on the side of a mountain complete with waterfall; simply beautiful.

Steamboat Springs, Breckenridge, Snowmass, Telluride, Winter Park or about 20 other great ski resorts are always nice in either the summer or wintertime.

Take you car over the Continental Divide Pass which is around 13,000 feet high.  This is the highest spot in the Continental US.  It is freezing year round & you are way above the tree line.  You can see forever in the cold, clear air.

Another nice ride is the round trip going west out of Denver, past Grand, Granby, & Shadow Mountain lakes.  The coldest temperature ever in the Continental US was recorded at the dam on Lake Granby... minus 65 degrees (F).  Fraser Colorado (which is in the same general area) has freezing weather year round.  It used to be reported by the US Weather Bureau and almost always had the lowest temperatures in the US every day.  It is no longer reported anymore as it is a really small town & is no longer an official weather station. After passing the lakes you will enter Trail Ridge Park & take the Trail Ridge Road through the park to way above the tree line.  Yes it is cold there but nice in the summer.  You will come out close to Boulder Colorado & take the Boulder Turnpike back to Denver.  The whole round trip takes about a day.  I have made it many, many times & would like to do it again.

In Denver, check out Lakeside Amusement Park.  PBS said it is one of the top 10 parks in the US for pure fun.  I can vouch for that as I have been there many times & always loved it.

In Denver, if it is still open, check out Eliche Gardens.  It is actually an old amusement park with a rickety old roller coaster that is loads of fun to ride.  Also, the garden has the current date done in living plants each day, very nice.

Also, the Durango - Silverton railroad is a must see.  It takes about a day but is the most spectacular train ride anywhere on earth.

And of course, who could forget Pikes Peak in Colorado Springs?  Be sure to go up to the peak twice... once by car (for the pure excitement) and once by the cog railway.  I have heard that teenagers sometimes (illegally of course) will put a thick piece of cardboard on one of the rails & ride it all the way to the bottom.  Very dangerous but sounds like loads of fun (for the very brave only).

Colorado has so many neat things to do, places... to see, and the scenery is so spectacular that I often think about going back there.  I miss it a lot.

After I moved from Colorado to Texas, my first impression as I transferred planes in Dallas was that a wet blanket hit me in the face.  I also noticed the very first pictures that I took in Houston that the sky was not as blue, the grass was not as green, and all the water was muddy & not the deep blue or black that all my Colorado photos showed.

Yes, Colorado really is God's country. 8)
MC... Latest version, 1 Mini PC, w/ Server.
TV... USA, ZIP 77036, Std view, Full screen, Not detached, Silicon Dust Guide, OTA, ATSC 1.
MC Audio... Realtek HD 7.1, MP3 Ext, Basic playback.
MC Control... Key, Mouse w/ G HUB.
Windows... 10 Pro, 64 bit, All MS updates.
Hardware... Beelink AMD GR5 Pro Mini PC, 16GB memory, 3 internal HDD's w/ 4.5 TB storage, 8 TB external storage.
1 SiliconDust HD HomeRun Connect Quatro, 1 SiliconDust HDHomeRun Flex Quatro, Amped Antenna w/ splitter.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2004, 03:05:59 pm »

Nice tour guide, Doc!  I'll take it along next time.  I must have driven right by that hot dog stand.

deerhunter

• World Citizen
  • self employed
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2004, 04:04:34 pm »

We are going to spend five weeks driving from Ohio to the west coast just as we did 40 years ago on our honeymoon. That is if I ever get this slide show done for our anniversary party.
deerhunter

DocLotus

• Retired and; Loving It!!!
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2004, 04:55:37 pm »

Yes, it's a wonderful way to travel... if you have the time.

You are up close and personal.  You can take little side trips, stop when you want, go where you want.

Too many people are in too much of a hurry to get from point A to point B and miss everything in between.

I recall a 7,000 mile trip we made several years ago by car from Houston to Nova Scotia.  We had a whole month and really got to see it all.  I will always remember that wonderful trip.
MC... Latest version, 1 Mini PC, w/ Server.
TV... USA, ZIP 77036, Std view, Full screen, Not detached, Silicon Dust Guide, OTA, ATSC 1.
MC Audio... Realtek HD 7.1, MP3 Ext, Basic playback.
MC Control... Key, Mouse w/ G HUB.
Windows... 10 Pro, 64 bit, All MS updates.
Hardware... Beelink AMD GR5 Pro Mini PC, 16GB memory, 3 internal HDD's w/ 4.5 TB storage, 8 TB external storage.
1 SiliconDust HD HomeRun Connect Quatro, 1 SiliconDust HDHomeRun Flex Quatro, Amped Antenna w/ splitter.

xen-uno

• Checking your hard disk for errors...
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2004, 06:40:11 pm »

I can’t get no paid vacation
’cause I try and I try and I try and I try
I can’t get no, I can’t get no

When I’m sitting at my desk
And that man comes to my office
And he’s tellin’ me more and more
About some useless information
Supposed to fire my imagination
I can’t get no ... oh no no no
Hey hey hey ... that’s what I say

’cause I try and I try and I try and I try

When I’m calculating his spreadsheet
And that man comes on to tell me
How big my bonus can be
Well he can’t be the man ’cause he doesn’t face
The same hours as me
Hey hey hey, that’s what I say

I can't get no paid vacation,
I can’t get no boss with action.
’cause I try and I try ... and I try ... and I try.

When I’m sittin there wearing my Hawaiian shirt ... in useless 'ticipation
And I’m planning this and I'm planning that
And I’m tryin’ to make my boss
Who tells me son you better try again later next week
as you see I’m barking, up the wrong tree
Hey hey hey ... that’s what I say

I don’t get no, I don’t get no
I don’t get no ... paid vacation
No paid vacation ... no paid vacation ... no paid VACATION!

co-written by xen-uno, andycircuit, & the Rolling Stones ©MadHatter LTD

bebop

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2004, 10:55:22 pm »

Sing it Zen!   ;D
Pages: [1]   Go Up