INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: why does media center use yadb?  (Read 3773 times)

marcmen

• Recent member
  • Change this by choosing profile
why does media center use yadb?
« on: August 05, 2004, 01:09:34 am »

Yadb is awful

Robert Taylor

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Living in a Smokeless Zone...

I've never found it to be that bad.

So, stuff is missing, that's what the user base is for. To add missing stuff...

How do you think the "more established lookup DBs" got to be "more established??

Contribute, man! And enjoy doing it!
Cheers
Rob

IanG

Contribute, man! And enjoy doing it!

I do, and it's fine if it's a previously unknown CD.  I've never been able to change incorrect data though - is there some trick to it?

Ian G.

loraan

• Galactic Citizen

Yadb is awful

This question should be in the FAQ, if it isn't already.

LonWar

What would you call more established?

Listening to: 'Sheep' from 'Animals' by 'Pink Floyd' on Media Center 11
-

paulr

• nothing more to say...

FreeDB is more established, and in my opinion has better data.

I've had some odd experiences with yadb lately...

For instance, the album "Mean Business" by The Firm.  I ripped this CD a long time ago, and somehow during my testing of version 11, the year of the album was changed to 2004.  I did an update from yadb to get the correct year.  After the update, 7 of the songs were by "The Firm" and one of them was by "Firm".  The album name of the song labelled as being by "Firm" was changed to "The Best of The Firm" even though it was correctly labelled as being "Mean Business" to start out with.

This has happened with quite a few albums I have.

I send in updates when I see problems, but it happens far too often IMO.  I really don't understand why we have to reinvent the wheel here.  Something quite complete, accurate *and* free was available already.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?

We used to use CDDB.  They increased their price severely.  We wrote an alternative, which uses the freedb data.

We're not likely to change this anytime soon since we now have far fewer problems and complaints than we formerly did.

paulr

• nothing more to say...

Is there a problem with your update routines?  Why would an update from yadb *change* the album name (and band name) for one song from a complete album?  It seems to me that if a match for that one song isn't found, then it should at least ignore it.  Maybe some "intelligent" code could be added that would recognize that the update request represents a complete album, and as such, should not change the album name for individual tracks.

JimH

• Administrator

I'm not sure what you mean.

Perhaps you're sometimes doing CD lookups and sometimes track lookups.  They are different databases.

paulr

• nothing more to say...

I was referring to track lookups I guess.  But it seems that the lookup function should check to see if you are looking up data for a complete album, and if so, not change the album name or artist name for individual tracks in the complete album.

Since all of my tracks come from CDs I own, I will never be doing individual track lookups, and always it will be lookups for complete CDs (even though they may have been ripped already).  At the moment, it is more of a hassle to do this than to look up the stuff manually because various band name and album names get changed (when they shouldn't), which I then have to change back.

marcmen

• Recent member

so why did you write your own yadb when you could use freedb. Freedb is significantly more accurate and has many more alblums. Are you guys saying you use freedb data and update it daily. I say 30% of my alblums dont work with yadb and all of them work with freedb

andy.e

• Recent member

Or better yet, why not let users decide which database they want to use?  If there are alternatives it doesn't make sense to assume that you can make a better decision than each user can on his/her own.  Just make this configurable in the application.

ahbrown41

• World Citizen
  • Music is good

You guys must be ripping some crazy albums.  Works pretty well for me.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team

You guys must be ripping some crazy albums.  Works pretty well for me.

No, just your well known rock bands from Zimbobway
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Prognathous

• Recent member

so why did you write your own yadb when you could use freedb? Freedb is significantly more accurate and has many more alblums

Anyone care to answer this one? I'd like to know the answer too. It's not in the FAQ, so it's probably not a frequently asked question, but it was also never answered in the forum - I searched as best as I could. So, can someone please explain what was the point of starting YADB? WHy wasn't FreeDB sufficient?

Thanks,

Prog.

LonWar

Anyone care to answer this one? I'd like to know the answer too. It's not in the FAQ, so it's probably not a frequently asked question, but it was also never answered in the forum - I searched as best as I could. So, can someone please explain what was the point of starting YADB? WHy wasn't FreeDB sufficient?

Thanks,

Prog.

I think Jim already answered this....

Posted by: JimH 
Insert Quote
We used to use CDDB.  They increased their price severely.  We wrote an alternative, which uses the freedb data.

We're not likely to change this anytime soon since we now have far fewer problems and complaints than we formerly did.

[\quote]
-

Prognathous

• Recent member

He answered why CDDB was ditched, not why JRiver chose to implement something new (YADB) instead of just going with the tried and proven FreeDB.

Prog.

jgreen

Prog--
Taking a wild guess here, I would say that jriver hopes to do the same thing CDDB did.

Putting that in perspective, I paid $10 to upgrade the world's best audio management software.  My $10 isn't going to put much gas in JimH's Ferarri, or Matt's Countach.  So they may be looking to future revenue sources.  I would.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird

Although freedb is popular there is no guarantee of its continuity or suitability for the purpose. It is a free, privately owned database & website and freedb does not make service contracts with commercial companies like JRiver.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

JimH

• Administrator

The freedb data had to be cleaned to be very useful.

We're happy with what we've got, so it's not going to change.
Pages: [1]   Go Up