INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: OT - Windows XP SP2 Released  (Read 11509 times)

DocLotus

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Retired and; Loving It!!!
Re:OT - Windows XP SP2 Released
« Reply #50 on: August 16, 2004, 12:02:46 pm »

NEAT Jim.

THANKS  ;D
MC... Latest version, 1 Mini PC, w/ Server.
TV... USA, ZIP 77036, Std view, Full screen, Not detached, Silicon Dust Guide, OTA, ATSC 1.
MC Audio... Realtek HD 7.1, MP3 Ext, Basic playback.
MC Control... Key, Mouse w/ G HUB.
Windows... 10 Pro, 64 bit, All MS updates.
Hardware... Beelink AMD GR5 Pro Mini PC, 16GB memory, 3 internal HDD's w/ 4.5 TB storage, 8 TB external storage.
1 SiliconDust HD HomeRun Connect Quatro, 1 SiliconDust HDHomeRun Flex Quatro, Amped Antenna w/ splitter.

GHammer

• MC Beta Team
  • Stereotypes are a real timesaver!
SP2 No Way?- You Might Want To Think
« Reply #51 on: August 18, 2004, 03:54:50 am »

Here's the list of fixes in SP2. Yes, they added things, but as with all service packs, many bugs were addressed too.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=811113

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #52 on: August 18, 2004, 10:18:12 am »

paulr

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #53 on: August 18, 2004, 06:53:40 pm »

One thing that they STILL haven't fixed (and it's very annoying) - the tool tip baloons in the system tray sometimes lose the "always on top" behavior and you have to turn it off and back on again in order to see them.  One of my pet peaves!  :)

JeffB

• World Citizen
« Reply #54 on: August 18, 2004, 08:16:56 pm »

Omni

« Reply #55 on: August 19, 2004, 03:55:36 am »

First sighted SP2 vulnerabilities.

http://arstechnica.com/news/posts/20040818-4113.html

::)

I'm neither pro- nor anti-Microsoft, but give me a break.  Why stop there?  Why not issue SP3 which locks out all users all the time, and only by calling a special toll-free number to explain to Microsoft exactly what you plan on doing will you be given a 1024 digit key to type in to unlock your computer.  That way, absolutely positively no one would have to take responsiblity for their own actions.

Criticizing SP2 because a user can still manually and with intent mess up his own system?  Geez.

And no offense, but you are just as bad as that article writer for even posting this with that foreboding "first sighted SP2 vulnerabilities" preface.   ::)

DocLotus

« Reply #56 on: August 19, 2004, 06:04:22 am »

There will always be people that knock everything but that comes with the territory of being the big kid on the block.

No matter what Micro$oft does, there will be many who will take them to task even though Micro$oft is trying real hard to provide good, reasonably solid (and FREE) patches and updates.

Case in point...
Last night I got an urgent notice in my e-mail from SBC (my DSL provider) about problems for people using Windows XP with the SP2 update.  Upon first reading the notice that started like this...

"Based on our testing, SBC has determined that some users will experience changes after loading Service Pack 2 when using the customized SBC Yahoo! Browser, Parental Controls, SBC Yahoo! Web mail, and Instant Messenger".

The alarmist in me first thought "Great, just great; that's all I need is some more problems".

But, upon reading the whole e-mail SBC went on to say...

"SBC and Yahoo! have prepared an update for these software components that you should load to ensure compatibility with Service Pack 2."

So, if I was an alarmist, only the fist part of the message would stick in my head.  As I am not much of an alarmist, the whole message is what I see and; as I know that Micro$oft is trying very hard to resolve problems and that sometimes I may be required to update some of my software to stay compatible (so what else I new).

I think the bottom line is this... so far SP2 seems to be pretty stable, and reliable and that we all sooner or later will need to install it.
TV... USA, ZIP 77036, Std view, Full screen, Not detached, Silicon Dust Guide, OTA, ATSC 1.
Hardware... Beelink AMD GR5 Pro Mini PC, 16GB memory, 3 internal HDD's w/ 4.5 TB storage, 8 TB external storage.
1 SiliconDust HD HomeRun Connect Quatro, 1 SiliconDust HDHomeRun Flex Quatro, Amped Antenna w/ splitter.

JeffB

• World Citizen
« Reply #57 on: August 19, 2004, 11:38:36 pm »

I'm not knocking Microsoft, just trying to share some info with others that might be concerned.  And I do happen to think SP2 is great.  I have yet to have a problem with it.

DocLotus

« Reply #58 on: August 20, 2004, 05:58:34 am »

Nicely put, thanks  ;D

DocLotus

« Reply #59 on: August 27, 2004, 10:20:15 am »

Just installed the final official release of SP2 from the Microsoft Update site.

Here is what I discovered...

* Size of download... 75mb, not as large as before.

* Download time (on DSL)... 9 ½ minutes.

* Install Time... About 50 minutes.

* Total time from download to final boot up... about 1 hour (or a little less).

* Problem... none at first.

* Problem... I did have a problem with my Pivot Pro software (used for rotating the monitor from landscape to portrait; it kept saying that something had changed and Pivot Pro had to be reinstalled.

* Problem... after reinstalling Pivot Pro the computer would not boot, I also could not get out of SAFE mode.  I finally reset the computer and ran 'Last known good boot up'.  The computer did boot (while holding my breath; AGAIN).  I reinstalled Pivot Pro a second time and all was finally well, good boot up and everything.

* Problem... An unwanted icon showed up in my Task Tray for Local Area Connect 5 (my DSL).  Seems that SP2 security turned off some of the things that are considered normal for communications but my DSL is working just fine anyway.  The thing I don't like about this is that it is an unwelcome icon (true it is only notifying me that there may be a minor problem with Local Area Connect 5).  This is something that I still need to look at.

* Problem... SBC e-mailed me a few days ago about installing their patch for Yahoo and some other SBC components to be compatible with SP2.  I downloaded the patch and tried to install it but kept getting 'No updates installed'. The only thing that I can think of is that just maybe the patch got into SP2 at the last minute and is not needed. This is something that I have to look at. Weird.

* Problem... SP2's new Security Center recognizes that I have Norton Anti Virus installed but it does not recognize that it is activated so it always shows a warning. Luckily, Security Center has a way to let me manually monitor items that I know are working.  It is still strange as not recognizing Norton Anti Virus monitoring was a problem with some of the earlier Beta's of SP2 and Microsoft said that it would be fixed by the final release of SP2.

Soooo... other then that, everything seems to be running well once more with SP2 installed.

I guess this was the normal little things that makes Windows so d**m irritating at times.

I wish we did not have so many crooks, hackers and other idiots in the world so all this security would not be needed and we could just get on with living our lives without the feeling that we are constantly under attack.

I'm beginning to know what the Israelis must fell like. :P

Omni

« Reply #60 on: August 27, 2004, 01:55:48 pm »

* Problem... SP2's new Security Center recognizes that I have Norton Anti Virus installed but it does not recognize that it is activated so it always shows a warning. Luckily, Security Center has a way to let me manually monitor items that I know are working.  It is still strange as not recognizing Norton Anti Virus monitoring was a problem with some of the earlier Beta's of SP2 and Microsoft said that it would be fixed by the final release of SP2.

Symantec has already released a patch which allows MS to penetrate Norton AV's "tamper proof" technology.  You should do the "live update" thing (and be prepared to reboot and RE-update a couple of times, too). :P

I don't actually have a problem with that new Security Center service in and of itself, but it finally just got too annoying.  I kept setting it NOT to alert me about my firewall status (since I use a hardware firewall and don't need MS's silly S/W firewall--if I wanted that, I'd use ZoneAlarm anyway).  But every single time I rebooted, I kept getting that annoying popup even though the settings not to alert me and not to monitor it "because I have my own solution" were still intact. ::)

So I just disabled the pesky service altogether.  ;D

jleerigby

« Reply #61 on: August 27, 2004, 04:39:56 pm »

75MB is a bit much for dial up so I just ordered SP2 on CD from M$.  I was impressed at how quick and easy it was to order and that they will ship it to me within 28 days free of charge.  

I only paid £93 for my OEM version of XP Pro so I'm really impressed that I've now had 2 service packs offered to me on a CD by post for free.  There will always be people who will find a way of critizising them but I actually think this is really good service.

DocLotus

« Reply #62 on: August 27, 2004, 07:12:34 pm »

Hi Omni;

Yes, I know... that was AFTER a Live Update.

I'm running Norton System Works 2002 for XP.  I'm thinking that Microsoft will only see the activation on newer version of Norton AV... bummer. :P

DocLotus

« Reply #63 on: August 27, 2004, 10:02:27 pm »

Well; SP2 did a number on me.

After some small teething problems were resolved I though all was ok with SP2; that was until I rebooted my computer a couple of times.

Seems that if I rebooted fairly soon after a boot up, Win XP would load ok; but, if I used Windows for awhile and tried to reboot Windows would never load, a black screen would come up then it would spontaneously reboot.

I could boot using the Last time Windows booted ok command but the spontaneously rebooting would come back next time I tried to start Win XP.

I tried closing down start up programs but nothing helped.

I finally used the System Restore to get back to where I was before this nightmare started.

Chock up another one for Bill Gates and his wonderful (dis)operating system.

paulr

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #64 on: August 27, 2004, 11:03:47 pm »

If you have a broadband connection, I recommend downloading the network install of SP2 (full version - about 260MB).

I have seen a couple newsletters from the experts that predicted problems with the "Update Install" versus full network install versions.

Another reason to download the network install is so that you can make a slipstream disk as described in this thread.

Omni

« Reply #65 on: August 27, 2004, 11:32:34 pm »

Another reason to download the network install is so that you can make a slipstream disk as described in this thread.

*nods emphatically*

I can offer a genuine, personal testimonial for the above slipstream link and method.  It worked out great for me.  I installed Windows using my self-created Windows XP SP2 (OEM) CD without a hitch.

One tip, though.  If you are using Roxio to create the boot disk, you need to manually change the offset to 4--it defaults to 1 (or maybe it was 0).  I won't waste time explaining that, but it will make sense to anyone using the above link as a guide.  (He only guides you through the processing using Nero, not Roxio.)

P.S. For my new system, I have switched back to Nero, so no Roxio flames please.  :P

ChicoSelfs

« Reply #66 on: August 28, 2004, 03:05:54 am »

One tip, though.  If you are using Roxio to create the boot disk, you need to manually change the offset to 4--it defaults to 1 (or maybe it was 0).

If you use Nero you have to do the same  :)
Made in Portugal

Omni

« Reply #67 on: August 28, 2004, 04:36:09 pm »

One tip, though.  If you are using Roxio to create the boot disk, you need to manually change the offset to 4--it defaults to 1 (or maybe it was 0).

If you use Nero you have to do the same  :)

Really?  Shucks... and I thought Nero was supposed to be such a "leet" burning tool compared to Roxio.  8)  :P

I just went back to the site, and it seems he has now updated it to included Roxio screenshots, so, um, never mind my tip everyone.  It's not needed anymore.  ;D   (Also, for the record, I made a mistake and really meant "sector count," not "sector offset.")

DocLotus

« Reply #68 on: August 28, 2004, 04:44:21 pm »

You're forgiven 8)

DocLotus

« Reply #69 on: September 05, 2004, 06:31:30 pm »

MS Auto Update installed SP2 on my computer.

That was two days ago; so far, everything looks ok.

The file size was the same 75 Mb as the one I had problems with before but something must of changed as it is running without a hitch this time ;D

AsparaGus

• Recent member
  • I'm AsparaGus and you're not
« Reply #70 on: September 06, 2004, 09:03:56 am »

Of course, I ignored the experts who said wait!

Downloaded a Developers/Administrators version for use on multiple computers (I've got all of 2, duh) on August 4th. It worked like a charm ... for about 3 hours. Then I tried to delete a couple of .html files I'd just made (old work product I didn't want confusing my wee little mind.) Explorer.exe refused and proceeded to start a debugger, a DrWatson which locked the system up quite nicely.

Finding that TaskManager was the only way to kill it, I tried a few variations of deleting to no avail. (Except by hiding the files in folder, I could drag the folder into the Trash. Not a work around I was prepared to live with for the long term.)

Several (4) hours wandering through the MSKB left me feeling truly ignorant (as it so often does.) But I found a special Support for SP2 page and a phone number which I tried. The short 45 minute wait lead to a friendly foreign-sounding Tech who labored with me for 3 hours to try making simple text files deleteable.

The Official Resolution: Uninstall SP2 and wait and see if when it automatically downloads it might be better. Ya gots to love the cross your fingers and hope solution.  ::)

Needless to say, I turned Automic Updates off till I again have 7-8 hours to fiddle. I've been watching with interest to see if anyone else lists 'explorer.exe' among the software that has a problem with SP2. That I keep my programs and data on external Drive and nowhere near Windows (with backups of C: in a separate partition.) gives me a false sense of being secure and above the fray.

(I'm ever so sorely tempted to reformat away the NotThereFileSystem partitions and reinstall my Moron Edition with a dual boot Linux on the side.)
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up