INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: O/T - Integrated ethernet card gone crazy  (Read 3725 times)

pipsqueak

• Citizen of the Universe
  • "Actually, it's elementary, my dear Dawson!"
O/T - Integrated ethernet card gone crazy
« on: August 13, 2004, 01:36:25 am »

Hows this for bizarre! i got hit by another power surge and i think my ethernet card got blasted. i can connect to the net via my home lan if i connect directly to the cable modem, but i cant connect via the router. ive checked every cable and even done a ghost restore to a time before this error started to occur.

Everytime i connect via the router i get the message "network cable unplugged" yet i plug the exact same cable into the cable modem directly and it works fine! theres also no way its a setting on the router as the other pc's work fine through it and the ghost restore takes me back to a time when everything was configured corectly...

Any ideas? Hardware problem i'm guessing and although the laptop is under warranty who's going to believe me!

pip

IanG

Re:O/T - Integrated ethernet card gone crazy
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2004, 02:38:35 am »

did you try plugging into one of the router ports that the other computers are using, and you know is working?

As a double check, try plugging one of the known good PCs into the suspect router port.  Another possibility, though I'm not sure it would give the "unplugged" error, is that you've changed the DHCP settings in the PC and the router no longer recognises it.  

Ian G.

pipsqueak

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2004, 03:04:19 am »

i wish it were that easy!

i had tried the suggested ideas. i can literally plug one laptop in and all works fine and then unplug the good laptop and plug in the bad one and it doesnt work...

all i get is "local area connection - a network cable is unplugged". the laptop doesnt show up as an attached device. under command prompt, ipconfig is says "media disconnected" yet works as soon as i plug in to the cable modem directly

as for the dhcp settings, its a good idea, but doesnt make sense when i restored to an earlier drive image (from when everything worked okay).

ive also reset the router to its factory settings for good measure - and should be able to connect directly using those (no mac problems etc), but alas no!

i so want to believe its a software / setting error, but im running out of ideas

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2004, 04:01:56 am »

i got hit by another power surge ...

Might be time to invest in a UPS.

Power surges are not good for your computer, if the power surges..chances are it also goes low. Low voltages are not good for HD stepper motors.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2004, 06:01:09 am »

all i get is "local area connection - a network cable is unplugged". the laptop doesnt show up as an attached device. under command prompt, ipconfig is says "media disconnected" yet works as soon as i plug in to the cable modem directly

I think that message really means that physical network connection is broken. Though I have no idea why.

Did you really check for all possible cable and connector faults? A faulty connector can work with certain combination and not with another one.

How about auto-sensing 10/100/1000 mbit LAN, uplink port or full-duplex connection? Maybe only that part is broken somewhere.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2004, 07:06:50 am »

How about auto-sensing 10/100/1000 mbit LAN, uplink port or full-duplex connection? Maybe only that part is broken somewhere.
That would be my guess, also.  Try forcing the card to the setting you want.  It's in the settings for the card under properties, I think.

IanG

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2004, 07:19:36 am »

That would be my guess, also.  Try forcing the card to the setting you want.  It's in the settings for the card under properties, I think.

Properties / Advanced / Media type

Ian G.

GHammer

• MC Beta Team
  • Stereotypes are a real timesaver!
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2004, 12:31:38 pm »

Once you have changed cables, changed the media type to 100 Mb full duplex and it still does not work then I'd go into Network Connections and delete the connection. Next go to Device Manager and delete (uninstall) the NIC.
Reboot.

When the hardware is 'found' you can configure and try it.

Still don't work? A NIC is cheap, replace it.

pipsqueak

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2004, 02:32:53 pm »

Legends! The lot of you...

Thanks to you guys ive located the fault...the 100mbs full mode doesnt work, i need to set it to 10 mbs full. i had it on auto before and i guess it was switching for the modem but no the router...

so the question is...is this a hardware error?

pip
Pages: [1]   Go Up