INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ripped APEs with MC...now can't import into MJ  (Read 2386 times)

andy.e

• Recent member
  • Change this by choosing profile
Ripped APEs with MC...now can't import into MJ
« on: August 22, 2004, 07:15:35 pm »

Hi folks,

I've done most of my ripping with MC (all Monkey's Audio) but I have one computer with Win98 (not even SE - don't ask) so that's running MJ.  I find that after ripping my CDs on MC about half the tracks fail to import.  What's the problem?

Thanks in advance!

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re:Ripped APEs with MC...now can't import into MJ
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2004, 07:43:39 pm »

MJ doesn't currently support APE 3.99 files.

It may be time to upgrade.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

andy.e

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2004, 12:23:24 am »

MJ doesn't currently support APE 3.99 files.

It may be time to upgrade.

I have MC - that's where I've been doing the ripping.  The question is, how come I am able to import and play about half of the APE 3.99 files in MJ if it doesn't support 3.99?  If it works half the time it makes me think it's a bug.

kiwi

• Don't worry, be happy...
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2004, 06:40:05 am »

I have MC - that's where I've been doing the ripping.  The question is, how come I am able to import and play about half of the APE 3.99 files in MJ if it doesn't support 3.99?  If it works half the time it makes me think it's a bug.

Are you sure that all of them are APE v3.99?  Some might be older and hence, able to play in MJ.

kiwi

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2004, 07:03:13 am »

Win98 (not even SE - don't ask
SE would be a good idea.  XP might be a better one.

andy.e

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2004, 05:27:58 pm »

Are you sure that all of them are APE v3.99?  Some might be older and hence, able to play in MJ.

Yes, I am sure.  All my MC ripping was done on the same machine without installing anything new in the middle.  I double-checked the plugin (Tools > Plug-in Manager > Input > APE plugin) and it is v3.99.

SE would be a good idea.  XP might be a better one.

No doubt.  If I had either one (or better yet, W2k) I would be running MC on that machine and wouldn't be having a problem.  FYI though, a friend of mine is running MJ on XP and we tried it there with the same result.  Only about half the tracks came through but the ones that did played fine.  At least that rules out the OS as the source of the problem.

GHammer

• MC Beta Team
  • Stereotypes are a real timesaver!
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2004, 08:46:47 pm »

Yes, I am sure.  All my MC ripping was done on the same machine without installing anything new in the middle.  I double-checked the plugin (Tools > Plug-in Manager > Input > APE plugin) and it is v3.99.

If you get the standalone Monkey's Audio and drop one of the files that do not play into it, you can check the file info and see for certain what version was used to create it.

andy.e

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2004, 11:10:32 am »

So, what we're going to do is use Monkey's Audio to convert the 3.99 files to wav files and then convert them back to 3.97.  I appreciate the tips and advice.

I will say that it seems a little silly that MJ's compatibility with 3.99 hasn't been addressed.  That's customer feedback for J River staffers reading this board.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2004, 01:26:00 pm »

Why do you need lossless files for your oldest PC? Are you accessing the files through a network share? (I suppose you already know that MC's Media Server and MJ are not compatible.) Could you just convert the APE files to a high quality compressed format for that PC? E.g. to MP3 with a custom setting "--alt-preset standard". In my opinion that makes almost transparent files, which are good enough for most listening purposes. Though not for transcoding, but you still have your APEs.

If you really need to replace the 3.99 APEs with 3.97 APEs and you like to keep your current MC library information, I think you could do this:

1. Backup everything: the files and MC Library. (A good practice anyway)
2. Convert the 3.99 APEs to wave (With MC or Monkey's Audio 3.99).
3. Convert the waves to Monkey's Audio 3.97 (http://www.monkeysaudio.com/files/MAC_397F.exe)
4. Now your new 3.97 APEs have original filenames but no tags. Replace your original 3.99 files with the 3.97 versions (outside MC). Let MC write the tags: Library Tools -> Update tags (from library).

Make some test runs before converting all files.

This was for you already ripped 3.99 APE files. I would use EAC and MA 3.97 for new rips and import them to MC and MJ afterwards.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755
Pages: [1]   Go Up