INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: moving folders to another drive using MC and moving cover art with folders  (Read 1988 times)

nickharambee

• Galactic Citizen
  • doh!

hi,

i need to move half of my music collection over from one drive to another to make space.  i am aware that i can use the 'rename files from properties' function to do this, but then the cover art that i have stored in the folders doesn't travel.  also i could move the folders in windows but they are tagged in such a way that it would be a painstaking process to work out which folders to move over and which to leave.

if there a simple way of moving cover art with the folders within MC?

thanks

nick

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
Re:moving folders to another drive using MC and moving cover art with folders
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2004, 06:11:30 pm »

You can import the images to the library. Just select the folders in Windows explorer and right click "import to MC". MC will import the images. I suppose that the folders have only previously imported music files besides the image files. Then you can move them with the folders. Select the items and use the Find and Replace Tool (e.g. filename path from "d:\" to "e:\"). You can later remove the images from the library (if needed).
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

nickharambee

• Galactic Citizen
  • doh!
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2004, 06:46:52 pm »

i am not sure exactly how this would work, as the images are not tagged, they are just sitting in the relevant music folders.  so i cannot select them with the music files.  i need some sort of feature where there is a function like 'if jpg is found in folder, move with music files.....'

nick.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2004, 07:12:50 pm »

I see, but it is weekend now. Maybe they build a new tool for you on Monday morning.   :)

How many thousand folders you have? I would just right click folders one by one in the Media Library tree (Advanced -> Hard Disk Location) and send them to a new playlist. Then I would do the Find and Replace trick in that playlist.

Edit
so i cannot select them with the music files
Do you mean select by searching? Files don't have to be tagged for selecting. Ctrl+A is all what is needed.

It could be even easier if you just change your view order by clicking the "Filename(path)" tab (the whole Media Library must be visible). Then select the files you like move (including the image files). E.g. click somewhere in the middle and press shift+end.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

modelmaker

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2004, 07:58:19 pm »

Doesn't nick_harambee want to do the same thing that I just asked in another post? (My cover art is also stored within the album folders).
Jay.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans"     John Lennon.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2004, 08:16:58 pm »

also i could move the folders in windows but they are tagged in such a way that it would be a painstaking process to work out which folders to move over and which to leave.

Maybe that makes a difference (?)

Personally I would just select the folders in Windows Explorer and move them. Then I would select the same folders (contents of them) in MC and fix the paths by a single Find and Replace command.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2004, 09:39:36 pm »

Try moving within MC, but try a few files first.  It should work.

nickharambee

• Galactic Citizen
  • doh!
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2004, 05:59:08 am »

ok, thanks for all these messages.  unfortunately they leave me a little confused.  i will list the options that i am aware that i have and the problems that i have with these:

(i) in MC i can select the files that i want to move (from media library/audio) using the tags and then go to move/copy disk files.  unfortunately this doesn't move the folders (i.e. artist/album) or the cover art.

(ii) in MC i can use 'rename files from properties' and then the artist and album folder structure will travel with the files, but the cover art stays behind.  the cover art is imported into MC, and so i could perhaps move it afterwards, but these images do not have the same tags as the music files, so there is no easy way of selecting which cover art to move.

(iii) i could move the files using windows explorer, but i would have to select album folders individually which would be a pain (i am moving about 900 albums!)

i don't fully understand the playlist, find and replace procedure, but don't see how the cover art would travel using this method..

i would be grateful for some more advice,

thanks

nick.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2004, 06:59:40 am »

Don't use "Media Library/Audio". Use "Media Library/All Media".

Change your view order to "Filename(path)". Then you can then see the image files side by side with the music files.

If you have to search for e.g. album or artist name maybe you could masstag the image files by using your folder structure (Fill Properties From Filename) or you could just search for the part of the folder structure.

If you collect audio and image files from several locations to a single playlist you can move them all by a single Find and Replace operation.

nickharambee

• Galactic Citizen
  • doh!
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2004, 07:22:20 am »

thanks alex b,

i get you up to paragraph 2 of your last message. i can select all media and then get my image and music files together, but as the images are not tagged like the music files (music files are tagged as 'music store', 'music to burn and 'unassigned') it is not possible to select all of the 'music store' and 'music to burn' files (which are the files i want to move) with their associated cover art (which is in the album folders) because the image files are not tagged in this way.

now even if i could get round this, and view all of the files, music and art, that i want to move, in a list together, i am not sure of how to move them so that the folder structure remains the same as it was on the original drive.  obviously it would remain the same if i moved the folders in explorer, but then i have the problem of having to individually select folders to move, as explorer can't sort the folders by the tags that i have set up in MC,

thanks

nick ::)

Jaguu

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2004, 09:57:29 am »

Did you try the Search/Replace feature. You could replace C:\Media by D:\Media and it would rename automatically the folders in Windows Explorer. This is the best and most efficient way, but as mentioned above cover art files must be imported into the library too.
Pages: [1]   Go Up